Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Community - Season Finale - "Advanced Introduction to Finality" - 5/9/13

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 02:53 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Community - Season Finale - "Advanced Introduction to Finality" - 5/9/13

Season 4, Episode 13
Episode Synopsis: In the Season 4 finale, Jeff ponders the future after he receives enough credits to graduate. Elsewhere, the group revisit the darkest timeline. Original Air Date: May 9, 2013
Season finale. No word on next season yet. Personally, I do feel that it will be renewed for atleast a 13 episode season. NBC doesn't have much else. And they are a few episodes shy of a syndication numbers. Should find out within the next few days.
Old 05-09-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
Re: Community - Season Finale - "Advanced Introduction to Finality" - 5/9/13

Have we already had 12 episodes? That went by way too quickly.
Old 05-09-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
[IMG]No word on next season yet. Personally, I do feel that it will be renewed for atleast a 13 episode season. NBC doesn't have much else. And they are a few episodes shy of a syndication numbers. Should find out within the next few days.
They're 4 episodes shy for syndication. I read somewhere that the possibilty of a finalé movie that could be chopped up in to 4 episodes to make the even 100.
Old 05-09-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll watch this and then I'm done if it comes back I won't be back.
Old 05-09-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

The last two were surprisingly above average (Freaky Friday & Origin Story). I'm slightly optimistic about this one.
Old 05-09-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

I missed everything from the puppet show onwards. I guess I'll run through them today.
Old 05-09-13, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This season hasn't been great or anything, but I've enjoyed it for the most part. Way more than most people here at least, a lot of people here seem to have a truly raging hatred for it. Sure the writing has been a bit off, but I still find it pretty entertaining, especially with all that went down between season 3 and 4, it could've been a lot worse.

I still enjoy all the characters and I'd like to see the show given another shot. One short mediocre season shouldn't mean the death of a show. I say give them one more shot and if they can't pick things back up in the fifth season (which will be tough, I admit) then I'll be okay with it ending.
Old 05-09-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My take is that this season hasn't been awful or anything, but the trend of the show's overall creativity is downward. I really am leaning towards wishing it would just end, mainly because I would be inclined (out of habit or loyalty) to continue to watch next season, even though I think it will continue to be (if just slightly) ultimately disappointing. And frankly, with most of the other Thursday NBC shows that I have habitually watched for the last several years calling it quits this season, I would just as well prefer to have my Thursday evenings free again for doing other things than watching declining NBC sit-coms.

The one possible exception to the above is Parks & Rec, which is still a quality show. I may still tune in for that one, which hopefully will be running in the earliest Thursday night slot next year, so I can have most of the rest of my Thursday evenings free.
Old 05-09-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Who knows if this will be back but this episode sure played like it was a series finale. I liked this episode a lot. I'm sure people will call this an uncreative rehash of timeline and paintball episodes but I thought it was very well done and it was a lot of fun. Really liked the bumper as well. Loved the ending, perfectly heartfelt.

My complaints of this season is simply that I think the writers didn't get Troy and Abed. Abed especially I felt was a mess most of this season. He was meta like we're used to but it wasn't creatively meta. The problem with Troy I felt had less to do with the writers not getting him and more to do with the moments where they were forcing Troy and Brita on us. The match up doesn't work, it didn't work at the end of last season and it was a waste this season.

If this does get picked up, I don't know where they'll go with it now that Jeff has graduated. If they do a 4 episode 'movie' then I can see it revolving around the group finishing up their semester while trying to figure out what to do with their lives with Jeff watching over them.
Old 05-09-13, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
They're 4 episodes shy for syndication. I read somewhere that the possibilty of a finalé movie that could be chopped up in to 4 episodes to make the even 100.
Pretty sure 100 eps isn't the number anymore.
Old 05-09-13, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Who knows if this will be back but this episode sure played like it was a series finale. I liked this episode a lot. I'm sure people will call this an uncreative rehash of timeline and paintball episodes but I thought it was very well done and it was a lot of fun. Really liked the bumper as well. Loved the ending, perfectly heartfelt.
I think it makes for a much better ending than last year's finale would have. The last 3 episodes were nearly of Harmon quality. I'll be around if it comes back, but I'd like to hope the pilots (particularly the John Mulaney one) are strong enough we get good shows out of them. If so, this may be done and it won't really bug me. I'll remember the last season as mostly crappy 2/3 of the time but with a fitting ending and some decent stuff. That makes it a lot like the final season of Newsradio in my book.

I'm omitting the spot on Troy and Abed commentary, though for my money they missed on Troy more than on Abed.

If this does get picked up, I don't know where they'll go with it now that Jeff has graduated. If they do a 4 episode 'movie' then I can see it revolving around the group finishing up their semester while trying to figure out what to do with their lives with Jeff watching over them.
I think Jeff will obviously teach at Greendale as part of his new career if there is another season. That's how I'd handle it, at least.
Old 05-09-13, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
Pretty sure 100 eps isn't the number anymore.
There's also the fact that they're at 84. They'd need a 16 episode order to make 100 if 100 mattered. I agree it doesn't. I think syndication isn't strong like it was, but I seem to recall there have been several 80 to 100 episode shows sold into syndication.

Frankly, the likely home for this show is Netflix and/or Amazon Prime.
Old 05-09-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The number of episodes for syndication is now defaulted to 88 apparently, so 4 episodes is right.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...re-time/92632/
Old 05-09-13, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking of Netflix, anyone know why this never made it to Netflix? The other 3 shows from the same block have been on there for quite a while, why no Community?
Old 05-09-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 977 Likes on 688 Posts

What in the holy hell was that?

I thought the first 5 or 6 minutes were absolutely great and felt almost exactly like the real Community I remember. They even came right out and made a joke about the messed up timeline this season has had that I was complaining about last week. I had been waffling on whether or not I'd bother buying this season on dvd and decided I would because even though it took 13 episodes I thought the writers had finally nailed it. Then evil Jeff showed up...

I'm not even sure what to think at this point. I don't think I hated it, but like most of this season, it felt like one giant reference to earlier, better episodes. The kicker was when Jeff (or was it Abed?) said something about finally making paintball cool again. Sorry guys, I don't think it worked.

The new writers tried so hard this season and I respect their attempt, but unfortunately I think the magic is dead. The great thing about Community was that it evolved and changed over the years. There were seemingly no limits to what the show could be or what it could do. Now it seems all there's left is to try and mimic it's former greatness. Unfortunately I don't think that's a show I'm interested in watching. Which is sad because I don't know if I've ever loved a show more.
Old 05-09-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
Speaking of Netflix, anyone know why this never made it to Netflix? The other 3 shows from the same block have been on there for quite a while, why no Community?
What other 3? The Office and P&R and what?

I think it's probably because Universal makes the others (whatever the 3rd is) whereas Sony is behind Community. I think the Sony part makes it more likely this would go Amazon.
Old 05-09-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
What other 3? The Office and P&R and what?

I think it's probably because Universal makes the others (whatever the 3rd is) whereas Sony is behind Community. I think the Sony part makes it more likely this would go Amazon.
30 Rock is the 3rd, which I think is Universal too, so the Sony thing makes sense then.
Old 05-09-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The current show runners can't seem to figure out the difference between over the top and cheese. Dan Harmon walked that line beautifully.

This episode started out feeling like classic Community and turned into an uninspired spoof of Community, at least the ending corrected course. Not hilarious but fitting.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-09-13 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-09-13, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I thought this was pretty fun, but I can understand the complaints. I think these final 3 episodes showed the most potential (and closest to classic Community) but clearly still not up to previous standards.
Old 05-09-13, 10:31 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The number of episodes for syndication is now defaulted to 88 apparently, so 4 episodes is right.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...re-time/92632/
Shows can and have been syndicated with less. 4 shy won't matter.

It's already going to be syndicated on Comedy Central this fall anyway.
Old 05-09-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh the things I would do to darkest timeline Annie.

I think part of the problem this year was a 13 episode run with a new creative team. If it winds up on NBC or cable I'll still watch next year. It wasn't as great as previous seasons, but i still enjoyed it and don't have the disdain towards it that others here do.
Old 05-09-13, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Anyone see the the chalk board in background of the ceremony toward the end? Six seasons and a movie. Nice nod to the show. Not the greatest episode but felt like a finale.
Old 05-10-13, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I think Jeff will obviously teach at Greendale as part of his new career if there is another season. That's how I'd handle it, at least.
I thought he said that his degree was education, so that could work.
Old 05-10-13, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
First three seasons of Community are on Netflix in Canada.
Old 05-10-13, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who sets the standard for minimum episodes required to syndicate? Is there a law? Are market forces that picky that people would turn down a syndication deal because they were four episodes short of hitting some arbitrary number of episodes?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.