DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Hannibal -- "ENTREE" -- 5/2/2013 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/610458-hannibal-entree-5-2-2013-a.html)

Jay G. 05-02-13 04:57 PM

Hannibal -- "ENTREE" -- 5/2/2013

http://imageshack.us/a/img839/1695/hanniball.jpg

Synopsis:

Jack & Alana are contacted by a former colleague, Dr. Chilton, who believes he has The Chesapeake Ripper in custody when one of his patients commits a murder that matches The Ripper's profile.

Episode 6 of 13

DJariya 05-02-13 08:48 PM

Re: Hannibal -- "ENTREE" -- 5/2/2013

Looking forward to this one. Eddie Izzard looked creepy in the previews.

The Valeyard 05-03-13 12:31 AM

Raúl Esparza is a good choice for Chilton.

andicus 05-03-13 12:35 AM

Excellent again. I love how they're mixing elements of the movies/books in with this re-imagining. There were some real twists in this episode vs the originals.

One thing didn't change... Chilton was still a douchebag. :lol:

I wonder if we'll see Barney, or at least Frankie Faison in a different role, since he's been in every Hannibal related film, even Manhunter.

Oh, and the murder of the nurse was pretty damn graphic! -eek-

Deftones 05-03-13 10:49 AM

That murder of the nurse was crazy. I just love the tone of this show. It feels like a cable show, even though it is not.

uteotw 05-03-13 01:35 PM

Not good:

Yet none of these ratings were actually good and then there was 10 p.m.’s freshman drama Hannibal. The serial killer thriller marks an unfortunate benchmark for the network — it’s one of 13 scripted shows on NBC to post a gutter-ball 1.1 rating or lower with an original episode this season (the others are 1600 Penn, Do No Harm, 30 Rock, Community, Up All Night, Animal Practice, Whitney, Guys With Kids, Deception, Go On, Smash and The New Normal). Falling to a 1.1 rating is like touching an electrified third rail of instant cancellation.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/03/idol-hits-crazy/

PhantomStranger 05-04-13 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by uteotw (Post 11677125)
Not good:

Yet none of these ratings were actually good and then there was 10 p.m.’s freshman drama Hannibal. The serial killer thriller marks an unfortunate benchmark for the network — it’s one of 13 scripted shows on NBC to post a gutter-ball 1.1 rating or lower with an original episode this season (the others are 1600 Penn, Do No Harm, 30 Rock, Community, Up All Night, Animal Practice, Whitney, Guys With Kids, Deception, Go On, Smash and The New Normal). Falling to a 1.1 rating is like touching an electrified third rail of instant cancellation.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/03/idol-hits-crazy/

NBC's death slot strikes again. I have no idea why NBC continues to send decent shows into that time slot. Hannibal still has a shot because I think the NBC execs will recognize it is a quality show. The decision to pull the fourth episode appears to have damaged the ratings.

kaisha no saru 05-04-13 08:36 AM

I agree that the time slot is like putting the show over an Indian burial ground. Nothing works there - even some pretty interesting stuff like Awake. I'm wondering how downloads of the missing epi webisode plus purchases at iTunes and Amazon may look and how they might be factored in future decision-making (hoping sales are significant so execs see that the show has a following that will spend $ to see the show).

joefrog91 05-04-13 10:46 AM

I watched the missing episode and it wasn't any more violent than what's already been shown. It was dumb of NBC not to air it. It's probably why the ratings the last two weeks have suffered.

tommyp007 05-04-13 12:23 PM

Man, 10pm used to be a plum spot on NBC.

RichC2 05-04-13 12:38 PM

What's funny, if Hannibal were on a cable network, like say AMC on Wednesday at 10 pm, it'd likely have superior ratings.

Since networks only advertise on their own networks and NBC is most associated with The Voice and their mostly defunct comedy block, not really Hannibal's target. If they had advertising during Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Bates Motel, etc; it'd likely start drawing a better crowd.

PhantomStranger 05-04-13 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 11678062)
What's funny, if Hannibal were on a cable network, like say AMC on Wednesday at 10 pm, it'd likely have superior ratings.

Since networks only advertise on their own networks and NBC is most associated with The Voice and their mostly defunct comedy block, not really Hannibal's target. If they had advertising during Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Bates Motel, etc; it'd likely start drawing a better crowd.

It would have huge ratings if given the slot after The Walking Dead. NBC should have opened Hannibal on a different night.

EEz28 05-06-13 10:49 PM

Holy crap this was good. Loved the ending flashback. The taunting of Jack was freaking creepy. Nice to see Vada Sultenfuss outside of Veep. Was her character in any of the books? Crazy how close to Starling she was portrayed. Which i'm sure was very intentional if this character was added only for the show.

Jonno2006 06-06-13 12:44 AM

I just watched this episode tonight and boy am i confused!

Who the fuck was Hobbs if he's not the Ripper? for like 4 episodes it's all about Hobbs this and Hobbs that and Will going crazier because of him and all of a sudden he's NOT the ripper? So who's the copycat?

And really what is Hannibal's part in all of this? Is he the mastermind of all this?

I know im behind and maybe my questions are answered in the following episodes, but ep 6 totally fucked me over lol

Jay G. 06-06-13 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jonno2006 (Post 11719710)
Who the fuck was Hobbs if he's not the Ripper? for like 4 episodes it's all about Hobbs this and Hobbs that and Will going crazier because of him and all of a sudden he's NOT the ripper? So who's the copycat?

Hobbs was The Shrike, a serial killer who attacked girls that looked like Abigail Hobbs. Most of the bodies were never found, because they were eaten/used completely, except for his last victim (returned to the family because of a bad liver) and the copycat murders (done by Hannibal, who shifted the blame to Nicholas Boyle)

The Chesapeake Ripper is an entirely different serial killer who was dormant for 2 years prior to this episode. His victims' bodies are discovered mutilated, with organs missing. The victims didn't match any single profile in terms of age, gender, personality, or eye, hair, or skin color. Hannibal is The Chesapeake Ripper.