TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Caramoan -- "Zipping Over the Cuckoo's Nest" -- 4/17/13

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: Survivor: Caramoan -- "Zipping Over the Cuckoo's Nest" -- 4/17/13

Originally Posted by brainee
I don't know why Michael was celebrating so much on the jury ... he has to spend 3 days alone with Phillip at Ponderosa now
maybe it will turn him straight!
Old 04-18-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cochran has been pretty funny with his quips.
Old 04-18-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
Cochran has been pretty funny with his quips.
I'm actually rooting for the guy...
Old 04-18-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
I like that Jeff turns to Cochran for analysis. Cochran is both a player and a commentator.
Won't ever happen, but how bad-ass would it be if Cochran were to take over for Probst as host if Probst were ever to walk away from the show? Probst adds nothing but familiarity (and annoying prodding during TC) to the show anymore, so someone as enthused, informed, and snarky as Cochran would be a refreshing change of pace.
Old 04-18-13, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Won't ever happen, but how bad-ass would it be if Cochran were to take over for Probst as host if Probst were ever to walk away from the show? Probst adds nothing but familiarity (and annoying prodding during TC) to the show anymore, so someone as enthused, informed, and snarky as Cochran would be a refreshing change of pace.
I could get on board with seeing Cochran during every season of Survivor
Old 04-18-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I'd watch that show.
Old 04-18-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Since there was a bit of a meltdown this week, I thought I'd post this here--Probst on Brandon's meltdown:
"We were actually very excited [about Brandon's return] because he had a new approach to the game," says Probst. "He said he wasn't going to be as emotionally reactive and felt that after playing once he was better prepared for the 39-day adventure. We felt Brandon had the potential for a true underdog story of a young man who was overwhelmed the first time he played and was seeking redemption."

As for during the actual confrontation at the Immunity Challenge, Probst says security was on stand by, as was the show's psychologist.

"Because something like this had never happened before there was no plan in place. I was assessing moment to moment, making decisions based on what was playing out in front of me," says Probst. "I can share with you that I was whispering instructions into my microphone (which is fed to our audio department) for our safety and security guys to be ready to assist if necessary. I was also asking for our show psychologist to be put on a boat and brought over immediately so she could counsel Brandon after the incident was over."

It turns out a psychologist is made available to all "Survivor" players when they are voted out, which we were unaware of.

"Our psychologist is there for any contestant who needs care whenever they need it. If necessary we find a psychologist or therapist for a contestant in their home town," says Probst. "I can't speak about Brandon specifically due to confidentiality, but we are in constant communication with him and will be for as long as he needs it."
Old 04-18-13, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several puzzling things happened last night:

(1) A contestant (and a female, to boot) is frantically yelling "Help!" in a jungle environment, and only ONE person even bothers to go see what's going on? Even just for curiosity's sake, one would think that somebody else would eventually wander over. That jwhole situation didn't pass the smell test.

(2) If Jeff doesn't point out the possibility that the amigos might NOT play their idols & might just be bluffing, would the vote have been the same? Did he plant the seed that encouraged the votes to stick with the original plan, and would someone else have gone otherwise? Or would everyone have just voted for Phillip?

Observations:

Unless they find a re-hidden idol(s) other continue to win physical challenges, the smart money says that Malcolm , Reynold, & Eddie are toast (in that order). Malcolm has the best overall game, Reynold next, & Eddie has brawn but little brains. Once they're gone, the rest have a fairly even balance of physical/mental skills.

IMHO, Sherri's a lock for the final three. Otherwise, they could easily have taken her out last night, but Andrea's name came up instead. Sherri's very little threat in challenges, she hasn't done anything memorable in game play, & she would only have three fans (at most) on the jury; therefore, she would be perfect to sit beside you in the finals. Can't see her getting any votes except out of spite toward the other two, and most of the other five have been pretty likeable.

The other five (assuming the amigos are gone, which the producers will fight hard to avoid, so I expect to see some easy-to-find idols & physical challenges in the next four episodes) have all shown some combination of alliance-bonding, mental acuity, and physical skills. Any of them could make a better argument than Sherri. Why would she be #6 in the pecking order when there's a lot stronger competition?
Old 04-18-13, 04:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Since there was a bit of a meltdown this week, I thought I'd post this here--Probst on Brandon's meltdown:
Too bad it never got to Tribal...would have been fun seeing everyone scatter Brandon's attempts to go medieval on everyone with his torch, and seeing security leap out of the bushes to take him down & drag him away screaming obscenities.

Now, THAT woulda been the craziest tribal council ever.
Old 04-18-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
(1) A contestant (and a female, to boot) is frantically yelling "Help!" in a jungle environment, and only ONE person even bothers to go see what's going on? Even just for curiosity's sake, one would think that somebody else would eventually wander over. That jwhole situation didn't pass the smell test.
I'm guessing that either:

a) Dawn cries so much that the others just tuned it out

b) She was too far away to be heard, and the reactions were just edited in to make it look like everyone heard
Old 04-18-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Didn't Dawn specifically call for Brenda?

It's possible that others did show up, but they edited around that.
Old 04-18-13, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
And, seriously, I don't like Brenda (even more now that she seemed really eager to get rid of Andrea), but has anyone come this far in the game and gotten less time to talk? She won that one challenge and still didn't get any talking time, so her finding Dawn's retainer is just about the biggest thing to happen in her edit all season and next week is Jury member 3 already.

Oh, and not that this is new, just as last week's immunity favored a smaller person and therefore, likely a girl, there was NEVER a doubt in my mind that when they showed this week's immunity challenge that it would be either Malcolm or Reynold. I, personally, missed it when they stopped doing water challenges and do get bored with stuff where you have to just balance cups or plates or something, but there was NO chance (NONE) of a female getting the win in that final leg. Brenda got in because of a mistake and the strongest female, Andrea, was a total non-factor.
We are seriously parting ways on the Brenda thing. Brenda is awesome. I think the only thing that saved Andrea last night is that she was sitting in the middle so Dawn couldn't talk to Cochran. Clearly, there is more to the Dawn/Brenda relationship than we have been shown (which is essentially nothing). Unfortunately for the Brenda fans, I think in Brenda's first confessional since she talked about Cochran's sunburn in the premiere episode they laid the ground work for Dawn eventually betraying Brenda.

As for last week favoring a woman. True, to an extent, but really it favored someone comfortable in the water who doesn't panic. The last time they did that challenge it was two guys at the end (Ozzie and Jason). In her secret scene after she won the immunity (the one that didn't make the show!), Brenda talked about being very comfortable underwater, which stands to reason as she owns her own water based business.

Both Brenda and Andrea are exceptional swimmers, but given who was competing there was no way one of the guys wasn't winning the immunity last night.

Also, I don't blame Phillip for not doing it b/c there was no way he was winning.
Old 04-18-13, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

I'm just gonna leave this here:

Old 04-18-13, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Why would she be #6 in the pecking order when there's a lot stronger competition?
Sherri in reality probably isn't #6. But the Amigos should argue to her that she is (being the last one to join Stealth-R-Us).
Old 04-18-13, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Todd B.

Old 04-18-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Watching the show, I knew that view of Brenda crawling under the log would make its appearance on this thread.
Old 04-19-13, 05:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
Watching the show, I knew that view of Brenda crawling under the log would make its appearance on this thread.
It appears that Jeff is striding over to the other side to see her head emerge but then leans back to get a better view of her backside as the clip ends.

"Wanna see what yer playing for?"

Last edited by creekdipper; 04-19-13 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-19-13, 06:26 AM

I'd never be able to play with Andrea. I'd never be able to tell her no and would do pretty much anything she told me to. Even if she drug me to the end I'd probably just make a case for her like Natalie and Phillip did for Boston Rob.
Old 04-19-13, 09:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.

After awhile, I find myself asking, when did Probst turn into an albino?
Old 04-19-13, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome TC. Glad to see Fillup gone.
Old 04-21-13, 01:41 AM
Banned

Brenda.
Old 04-21-13, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Still trying to figure out why Dawn needed Brenda to snorkel for her teeth. I mean it was her teeth she lost, not her eyeballs.

And @ Cochran in the preview.
Old 04-21-13, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Brenda.
She's going to need a restraining order
Old 04-21-13, 10:39 PM
Banned

Preview showed another strength challenge. Producers really working hard to save the amigos.
Old 04-22-13, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Malcolm had the right strategy in digging out all the bags, but clearly he's no Penner in this challenge.

And come on! Enough with the "blacks on Survivor can't swim" device!

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I love how Eric flipped on the S-R-US and voted for "Fillup".
I noticed that too. That would be clever if he's secretly with the amigos--maybe he has a strategy after all?