Psych -- "Right Turn or Left for Dead" -- 4/17/13

Old 04-17-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Psych -- "Right Turn or Left for Dead" -- 4/17/13

Psych -- Season 7 Episode 8 -- "Right Turn or Left for Dead"

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Rather than party after the successful conclusion of his case, Shawn turns unusually introspective. He re-examines every decision made to determine if he could have changed the outcome.

Promo:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WxfCzc-fHi0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-17-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Psych -- "Right Turn or Left for Dead" -- 4/17/13

A bit of a weird disjointed show, and definitely without the "Psych" attitude.

I can't believe that Shawn and Juliette can't have an honest-to-goodness discussion about things. She's too pissed and he's too juvenile (and apparently can't understand her viewpoint at all, based on the last scene in the office).

I hope they don't drag this out too long. Either put them back together or make the split permanent and give Shawn another interest so he doesn't feel bad/sulk. I like my Psych with attitude and humor, not whatever this crap is. To paraphrase Weird Al Yankovic "I've already had enough of Shawn's sullen demeanor."
Old 04-18-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

That episode lived up to the show's name.

I agree--very strange episode, but I think I liked it. The parallel universe structure was interesting, but what does it imply?

Was it all in his head and the parallel universe story was just his coping mechanism for messing things up with Juliet? Was it just a result of his concussion scrambling his thought process? I lean this way since the alt-universe story was so happy and drippy with him and Jules. I need to watch again. Did he figure each clue out first in the alt-universe and then in the real universe?

Or did Shawn actually somehow experience two realities? His ability to solve the case the way he did could point in that direction.
Old 04-18-13, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The way I took it is that at the end of the "real" timeline, with the Swedish chick locked up, he was sitting in the office imagining how he would've solved the case if he hadn't given Juliet his jacket.
Didn't care for this one, I usually don't like gimmick episodes of any kind. This was no fun at all.
Old 04-19-13, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't a fan of this ep either. I think I'm in the minority but honestly this entire season has been hit and miss with me. The show seems to have lost it's way. It's become too wacky, and while this episode didn't have that problem, I didn't really enjoy the alternate version gimmick either. There were some good points, like the entire time they spent in the bar.
Old 04-19-13, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that this has been the weakest season. Maybe it's just showing its age.
Old 04-19-13, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I liked the parallel timeline. This was one of the more interesting mysteries. Not a whole lot of laughs, though.

What I didn't like was the Shawn/Jules angst. That's always been a weak spot of the show. I'm not sure how they'll keep the normal light and fun attitude of the show with them on the outs.
Old 04-19-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this season has been a bit more hit and miss than last season, but I thought last season might have been the high point so I don't know if it's lost it's way. At least I remember liking the show more last season than ever before. I think even though they're already seven seasons in they could go several more if they wanted to.
Old 04-19-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

The whole scenario of these last two episodes confused me. I never thought anyone actually believed he was psychic.
Old 04-19-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
The whole scenario of these last two episodes confused me. I never thought anyone actually believed he was psychic.
Really? Did you think they all where indulging Shawn's fantasy like he was a five year old? The only people who knew before were Gus, Henry, Declan Rand and possibly Shawn's mother.
Old 04-22-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Looks like they're trying to extend next season by 5 episodes (USA ordered 5 more scripts). Actually at this point it isn't even concrete that it will be the last, though it most likely will be.

That would put Season 8 at 13 episodes.
Old 04-22-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Really? Did you think they all where indulging Shawn's fantasy like he was a five year old? The only people who knew before were Gus, Henry, Declan Rand and possibly Shawn's mother.
No, I just thought they accepted him as a talented detective. Just like all the similar shows (Mentalist, Elementary...etc).
Old 04-22-13, 02:56 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

The premise in the pilot was that he was able to figure out all this stuff about a crime because he's such a brilliant detective, but nobody believed he could be so brilliant and assumed he must have been involved with the crime. So he came up with the psychic thing to explain how he knew so much more than Lassie, and all the cops have believed it ever since.
Old 04-22-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

old casting/renewal info based spoiler talk
Spoiler:
It was reported in Feb. that Maggie Lawson is co-staring in a pilot for ABC, which is said to be in good shape to be picked up. I don't know how that plays into her character on the show. Maybe she is planning to leave this season, or maybe she thought she could film the shortened 8th season. I wonder how an extra 5 eps plays into those plans.
Old 04-22-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
old casting/renewal info based spoiler talk
Spoiler:
It was reported in Feb. that Maggie Lawson is co-staring in a pilot for ABC, which is said to be in good shape to be picked up. I don't know how that plays into her character on the show. Maybe she is planning to leave this season, or maybe she thought she could film the shortened 8th season. I wonder how an extra 5 eps plays into those plans.
Spoiler:
There's talk season eight will be the last. She might be lining up a new gig.
Old 04-23-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really liked this episode. I agree though that they need to hurry up and fix Shawn and Jules.

As for this season in general, to me it hasn't been as good as others. I didn't even think last season was spectacular overall -- previous seasons contained a lot more stand out episodes for me. At times I feel like Shawn is becoming a parody of himself.

Going by the preview for next week, Shawn is fighting to keep "Shules" together so perhaps it will be finalized tomorrow.

What I am looking forward to the most is the movie musical that will air this season. I can't imagine how they can go wrong with Psych + that type of concept.