Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The 80's The Decade That Made Us National Geographic Series narrated by Rob Lowe

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The 80's The Decade That Made Us National Geographic Series narrated by Rob Lowe

Old 04-21-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Re: The 80's The Decade That Made Us National Geographic Series narrated by Rob Lowe

Originally Posted by bootsy
OK I can see this. I mean there are some things like this that I may have missed growing up in the 80s and this is obviously one of them.
I think Tony Hawk was more of a regional thing in the 1980s. I grew up in the 80s (I graduated high school in 1987) in the northeast and I didn't know who Tony Hawk was until much later. Skateboarding didn't become popular here until well after I was out of college. We never did it as kids. Hacky-sack, yes. Skateboarding, no.
Old 04-21-13, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Re: The 80's The Decade That Made Us National Geographic Series narrated by Rob Lowe

I'll have to check this out on demand. For me the 80s was age 22-31. One big thing no one's mentioned: Live Aid.
MTV was all over the place in the 80s. Remember the original five MTV v-jays?
J.J. Jackson
Martha Quinn
Alan something or other
Mark whats his face
Nina what her name
Old 04-21-13, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
I'll have to check this out on demand. For me the 80s was age 22-31. One big thing no one's mentioned: Live Aid.
MTV was all over the place in the 80s. Remember the original five MTV v-jays?
J.J. Jackson
Martha Quinn
Alan something or other
Mark whats his face
Nina what her name
Alan Hunter

Mark Goodman

Nina Blackwood

They are now DJ's on Sirius XM Radio.

Blackwood was also interviewed during this show.
Old 04-21-13, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
It's kind of funny to look back now, but the 90s almost feels like a complete placeholder of a decade. You have the berlin wall falling right at the end of the 80s, signaling the end of the Soviet Union, while you have 9/11 right around the start of the 00, which signaled the start of the war on terror.

What did the 90s have? The Gulf War, OJ Simpson, Oklahoma City and Columbine. I guess you could throw in grunge and gangster rap.
You also had:

-The internet. Sure it was around before, but it exploded in the 90s.
-Palm-sized cell phones
-NAFTA
-Email

Our lifestyles would be much different in 1999 compared to 1989.

EDIT: I'm not a gamer, but didn't video games blow up in the 90s? In the 80s, you wouldn't find many 40 year-olds playing video games for hours.
Old 04-21-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is one of the bigger ironies that GW Bush, who would have probably been a very suitable President for 93-01 was President from 01-09 while WJ Clinton was President during the quiet time and yet probably would have done better with less time for BJs and more crises.
Old 04-21-13, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
It was mentioned in the the series. As well as We Are The World and Farm Aid. No credit to Hear 'n Aid though
Old 04-21-13, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
Me and you both because I don't recall skateboarding being that popular in the 80s.
Really? It was HUGE in metro Atlanta. I remember a small group of kids in my high school who wore Vans and skate shorts EVERY SINGLE DAY, read Thrasher religiously, and listened to Black Flag, Agent Orange, Flipper, Suicidal, Circle Jerks, Butthole Surfers, TSOL, and Celtic Frost. Those dudes couldn't have been more of an 80s stereotype if they tried. And there was a larger group of kids who also skated, but didn't make a whole lifestyle of it. A few of my friends wouldn't have been caught dead in a pair of Vans, but skated several times a week.

And yeah, the day of the Reagan shooting was crazy, news-wise. Frank Reynolds (It's Always Sunny?) was a great anchor, but had to deal with conflicting information all day long. It's kind of... interesting how nowadays so much news (accurate or not) comes from Twitter. Back in the 80s, some poor schlub reporter would have to get a story then find an available pay phone to call the story in!

It was mentioned in the the series. As well as We Are The World and Farm Aid.
Yeah, it kinda bugged me how they spent 30 seconds talking about Band Aid\Live Aid and 10 minutes talking about "We Are The World". I get that it's an American show for an American audience... but to me (and my crowd of friends), Band Aid was cool, but "We Are The World" was a cheesy rip-off.

And I still get goosebumps at the words "tear down this wall".

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 04-21-13 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-22-13, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off the next two days and was planning to watch On Demand, but it isn't listed for me.

??? I have Cox.

Whaaa.
Old 04-22-13, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

You haz Cox?

Skateboarding was huge in the 80s down here as well (Florida), I think it may have been fairly limited at the time though (Florida, Georgia, California type thing).

I mean how did you make it out of the 80s without seeing this gem:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yviIgIDxlwc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-22-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

I remember skateboarding being pretty big in the 80s. I went to a REAL preppy private school, and the upscale student body made a habit of sneering derisively at skaters at every opportunity. Like it was some growing public menace or something.

These were people who bought Scritti Politti albums...
Old 04-22-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

EDIT: I'm not a gamer, but didn't video games blow up in the 90s? In the 80s, you wouldn't find many 40 year-olds playing video games for hours.

Surprised NES was not mentioned since it was big in the 80's.

I remember almost everything from the 80's that they covered except that Nuclear Holocaust movie the Day After.

Maybe too young for that and never knew the story behind the creation of Tetris or the story of Lyne Cox the swimmer who swam across the Bering Strait and arriving in Russia.

The Challenger explosion was probably the most moving segment in the series.

I remember watching the news coverage at the local barber shop.

It was depressing in the end when they closed with New Years Eve 1990 and U2 Where the Streets Have No Name was playing and the decade was over.

The 80's were awesome and what is wrong with mass consumption and buying expensive goods and trying to attain the high life?

Wish we could have another period like that again.

Old 04-22-13, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

The 80's were awesome and what is wrong with mass consumption and buying expensive goods and trying to attain the high life?

Wish we could have another period like that again.
What's wrong is that's the period were people started spending beyond their means. Buy all the expensive goods you want if you can afford them. But running up a credit card does not mean you can afford them.
Old 04-23-13, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Surprised NES was not mentioned since it was big in the 80's.
I thought they mentioned it shortly after Pacman, like they talked about Donkey Kong and mentioned it included the character that would transform/save/whatever verb "handheld gaming" (obviously they meant console gaming) and showed Mario.
Old 04-23-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
I thought they mentioned it shortly after Pacman, like they talked about Donkey Kong and mentioned it included the character that would transform/save/whatever verb "handheld gaming" (obviously they meant console gaming) and showed Mario.
They actually showed the Gameboy a good amount when they were talking about Tetris, but I think when they first mentioned Mario it was more in terms of it being the new king of the arcade.