Re: Spartacus: War of the Damned -- Series Finale -- "Victory" -- 4/12/13

so this exists..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spartacus-Th.../dp/B00BBUNUOG
Old 05-03-13, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
You're better off just waiting for the U.S. Anchor Bay release. One of the reviews says that War of the Damned has no extras on this release. It was a rush job.
Old 05-12-13, 09:24 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Finally caught up with the series, to be honest i put off watching it because i didn't want it to end

Really good finale, sad but the correct ending.

Even if the Spartacus story is only 20% true, how good would the real Spartacus feel watching from the heavens seeing such a depiction of his life so many centuries on.

The whole Spartacus team need to work on another historic project.
Old 09-08-13, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally watched Season 3 this week. (Had to wait for it on Blu-ray since I don't get Starz.) I agree the season started out slow but about half way through it was pretty solid. It took awhile for me to warm up to it because so many characters died at the end of Season 2 and so many new ones were introduced in 3. I don't know the real history of Spartacus and Caesar other than Caesar became Emperor and was killed on the Senate floor, but somewhere along the way I read an article that said the show was taking some liberties with historical facts by having Caesar in it. I read that he and Spartacus never really crossed paths or even lived during the same time period. Is that true? If it is, why was Caesar brought into the show? Every time his life was in peril I knew he'd survive. Had the actor portrayed some other commander under Crassus' command, his fate would have been a mystery to me and the danger would have meant more.

One thing I didn't like about this season was the lack of a female lead. There were plenty of female characters, but they were all supporting players. In the past, we had Lucretia and Ilythia ruling the house of Batiatus and guiding/undermining their husbands. Their scheming ways and nasty dispositions made the show fun and were a welcome break from the endless sword fighting. (Don't get me wrong: I still enjoyed the show. Perhaps it was the extended episodes on Blu-ray that made it seem like there was a bit too much sword play.) I had trouble accepting Lucretia in Season 2 because it was hard to believe she had survived being stabbed in the gut in the Season 1 finale, but I had even more trouble accepting that she wasn't in Season 3 at all. Not that I expected her to survive falling off the cliff, I just wished hers and Ilythia's fates had been different so one or both of them could have appeared in Season 3. Oh well.

Another thing that bothered me a little was how easily Spartacus and his fighters were able to slice off heads this season after Naevia and the audience were given a lesson about how difficult a task it really is in the Season 2 finale. That moment also reminds me how much I missed that snake, Ashur, this season. And I never really warmed up to the new actress playing Naevia (wasn't as pretty as the original actress), nor did I buy the character's transformation from quiet mouse to fierce warrior (whose constant angry attitude got old quick).

I thought for sure Gannicus would survive and finally step up as a leader the way Spartacus always wanted him to. I don't think we actually saw him die, did we? Hell, if Agron survived crucifixion, who's to say Gannicus couldn't. Agron and Nasir could always cut him down. But I guess there'd be no story left to tell other than Gannicus drinking and sexing his way from village to village.

In terms of favorite seasons, I rate them this way:

1. Blood & Sand
2. Gods of the Arena
3. Vengeance
4. War of the Damned

Thank you, Starz, for 4 seasons of shock and awe. Kudos to Liam McIntyre. RIP Andy Whitfield.

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 09-08-13 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-08-13, 06:47 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Spartacus and Caesar did live during the same time period. It is not recorded that they ever crossed paths, but it could have happened. Caesar and Crassus did interact historically.
Old 09-08-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Spartacus and Caesar did live during the same time period. It is not recorded that they ever crossed paths, but it could have happened. Caesar and Crassus did interact historically.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 11-27-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://slickdeals.net/f/7434572-spar...lu-ray-10-each

buy them all now!
Old 11-28-14, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

Bought them all last year ... I HIGHLY recommend it if you haven't taken advantage of this yet!
Old 02-22-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

So I finished the series today.

I watched Season 1 a few years ago but after learning of Andy Whitfield's death and that he would be replaced, I decided not to watch. Would be sad seeing someone else as Spartacus. Well, Netflix in the last month put up the 2nd and 3rd seasons with the replacement, and I decided enough time had passed that I would accept a new Spartacus. Very much to my surprise, I thought Liam McIntyre was fantastic. Not sure anyone could replace Andy, but Liam did as good a job as possible. Really liked him.

Obviously the series finale is a bummer since we all know beforehand that it isn't a happy ending, but I thought these two seasons were just as fun and entertaining as the 1st. I thought the action got progressively better through the series, and maybe it's just me, but I feel like more practical effects were used in the action scenes more than previously (were it all felt like CGI). Really fun show, will consider buying the series set one day.

I'm still undecided on whether to watch the prequel mini season that was made while Andy was undergoing his cancer treatments. Was it any good? Worth checking out?
Old 02-22-15, 03:38 PM

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes it's worth checking out. Would've been better for you if you watched it before Season 2.
Old 02-22-15, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't realize the mini series was the "2nd" season until I was deep into the 3rd. I had assumed Netflix would label it as a prequel, rather than calling it Season 2 (I had assumed Whitfield had done 2 seasons, than McIntyre the 3rd and 4th).
Old 02-22-15, 04:31 PM

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Seeing it adds a lot more weight to the series, especially with certain characters like Gannicus.
Old 02-22-15, 05:53 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

God, I miss this show.
Old 02-22-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I didn't realize the mini series was the "2nd" season until I was deep into the 3rd. I had assumed Netflix would label it as a prequel, rather than calling it Season 2 (I had assumed Whitfield had done 2 seasons, than McIntyre the 3rd and 4th).
I think the prequel wasn't labeled as season 2 on the BDs. I'm not home at the moment so I can't check but I am almost sure.

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Seeing it adds a lot more weight to the series, especially with certain characters like Gannicus.
Plus, little details give meaning to objects such as the red wig and the leather vest.
Old 02-05-16, 07:39 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

bump just because. sigh.
Old 02-06-16, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, for a long time this was the only reason to consider paying for Starz.
Old 02-06-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I did watch that prequel season (back when I asked about it) and it was a nice addition to the show. Cool seeing the backgrounds of Gannicus and Crixus. Also cool seeing Batiatus and Lucretia again.

Really fun show, I miss it as well.