Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Old 04-10-13, 01:08 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 58,017
Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Episode 10 - "Only You" (Airs April 10, 10:00 pm e/p) - Stan pursues a lead that puts him on the trail to one of Gregory's crew members, closing the gap between him and Elizabeth, and reigniting some of the deepest conflicts between her and Philip. Written by Bradford Winters; directed by Adam Arkin.


Episode 10 of 13
Old 04-10-13, 02:45 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Tom Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 3,940
Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

I just saw on my guide that the properly extended version of last week's episode is re-airing tonight around 11pm CST. I had to set the DVR to manually record as it's listed as a repeat, not a new episode.
Old 04-11-13, 12:17 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,155
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

I guess I'm not shocked that no one's said anything yet. Kind of a "safe" episode where very little happened. In fact, it was almost too neat the way Gregory was set up to take the fall for Amador's death. I was hoping we were more on a fast track to open war over the last 3 or 4 episodes and now I'm not exactly sure where the tension is other than the ever-crumbling relationship between Phillip and Elizabeth. Even Stan seems sated with his lovely snuff picture on his desk and again talking to his wife.
Old 04-11-13, 12:32 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 42,731
Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Yeah, I liked the episode (the FBI guy showing up at his motel to share a beer was a good moment) but not much happened compared to last week.
Old 04-11-13, 12:39 PM
  #5  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Good episode. It wasn't filler and it wasn't one of the best of this season but solid. I hated to see Gregory go but you could probably figure out he wasn't long for this show.He or one of his guys were probably going to get caught or killed at some point. I absolutely loved the scene with Gregory and Claudia with the FBI searching his home. That was pretty good.
Old 04-11-13, 12:44 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,197
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

So he wants to die rather than go to Moscow? Seems a bit ridiculous, imho.
Old 04-11-13, 12:45 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,349
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
So he wants to die rather than go to Moscow?
He'd be a complete fish out of water. I can see it. Though I would have asked for Cuba.
Old 04-11-13, 12:46 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 42,731
Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Keri Russell is hot when she's tearing off her clothes
Old 04-11-13, 01:00 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US
Posts: 9,631
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
So he wants to die rather than go to Moscow? Seems a bit ridiculous, imho.
I'm not terribly surprised, who in their right mind wants to go to moscow in the early 80's. It's cold as shit, miserable, and he'd be the only black guy there.

I think he probably figures he's protecting Elizabeth also, because the FBI won't rest until they have an arrest or a body. Who knows what they can dig into if he leaves and they continue searching for anything they can find.
Old 04-11-13, 01:05 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,097
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
I guess I'm not shocked that no one's said anything yet. Kind of a "safe" episode where very little happened. In fact, it was almost too neat the way Gregory was set up to take the fall for Amador's death. I was hoping we were more on a fast track to open war over the last 3 or 4 episodes and now I'm not exactly sure where the tension is other than the ever-crumbling relationship between Phillip and Elizabeth. Even Stan seems sated with his lovely snuff picture on his desk and again talking to his wife.

Look at the whole story... I thought it was a very good episode and tied up lose ends nicely. I can see Gregory not wanting to go alone moscow, I bet if Elizabeth had left with him. He would've gone. I think he pretty much explain himself as to why he would want to go out like that.

Next week's episode showed top level KBG's getting assassinated by FBI/CIA's... so I thought the last couple of episodes will be about Philip and Elizabeth feelings for each other.

I love this show!
Old 04-11-13, 01:10 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,197
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
He'd be a complete fish out of water. I can see it. Though I would have asked for Cuba.
Being alive > not being alive
Old 04-11-13, 02:41 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 501
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

I'm having more and more of a problem with this show. At first, it seemed our protagonists were KGB agents that were a bit wishy-washy about serving the motherland, most particularly the husband. He seemed to be conflicted, and kind of a good guy in a way, wanting to avenge his wife's rape and considering defecting for the children. They were also growing closer to each other, and perhaps from the seeds of a real marriage there would be some redemptive growth.

Now, it seems the show is about a pair of KGB agents in a sham marriage where they both dislike one another, and they readily murder an FBI agent doing his job. I'm not sure the leads are compelling enough for me to watch as villains, which is what they are becoming from my perspective. I don't have a problem watching shows about villains, as I enjoyed both the Sopranos and Breaking Bad. But Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys won't be able to keep me watching if they continue murdering US agents.
Old 04-11-13, 02:51 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,349
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Originally Posted by malichai View Post

Now, it seems the show is about a pair of KGB agents in a sham marriage where they both dislike one another, and they readily murder an FBI agent doing his job. I'm not sure the leads are compelling enough for me to watch as villains, which is what they are becoming from my perspective. I don't have a problem watching shows about villains, as I enjoyed both the Sopranos and Breaking Bad. But Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys won't be able to keep me watching if they continue murdering US agents.
Maybe I'm watching a different show than you, but they didn't readily murder the FBI agent. Philip had no choice but to act that way after being confronted; and then they used him to try and get information. And the agent sure wasn't doing his job - he was stalking a woman he was obsessing over; acting in a jealous manner seeing Philip leave her apartment after spending the night.

The FBI agents are not portrayed innocently either. They are deeply flawed.
Old 04-11-13, 03:39 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lompoc, CA
Posts: 11,479
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Yeah, if you're basing your interest in the show on whether the long arc will "redeem" (meaning fully Americanize) Philip & Elizabeth, you could well be barking up the wrong tree. The tone seems fairly well set, and the tone is that both sides are fully in the "gray area" rather than all the moral force being only on our side.
Old 04-11-13, 04:06 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 501
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
And the agent sure wasn't doing his job - he was stalking a woman he was obsessing over; acting in a jealous manner seeing Philip leave her apartment after spending the night.
Wow, I totally missed that he was stalking her. My bad, I suppose that changes things, a bit, though I'm not sure that really justifies his murder.
Old 04-11-13, 04:42 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US
Posts: 9,631
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

They are spies, they (and the FBI) play by totally different rules.
Old 04-12-13, 09:20 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Raul3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Picture a cup in the middle of the sea
Posts: 10,705
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Yup. Totally different show.

Yes, Amador was stalking Martha. And Phillip was really worried that he killed Amador, that's why Elizabeth told him to not try to think what he would do different, shit happens, etc.

But like adamblast said, if you are looking for redemption, this is not the right show for you.

BTW, the other day I was reading an article about a Nuclear war scare that happened in 1983, it probably inspired one of the previous episodes in the show.
This wasn't the article I read, but it's related: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ter021099b.htm

The article I read, probably in the WP too, talked more about spies.
Old 04-12-13, 10:42 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 42,731
Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

I've been watching this show on demand, but this was the first episode I watched live--couldn't wait because it's so good.
Old 04-12-13, 01:00 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 22,664
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

I didn't really buy the whole premise of the episode and how Gregory handled the situation, but I guess the writers wanted his storyline over instead of it dangling in the wind. I also thought it was funny how they portrayed the KGB as so concerned with extracting him to Moscow, when I believe the actual KGB would have simply killed him with a different set of agents (the KBG definitely has more than two field agents living in DC at any one time) and framed him for the murders.

It was still an enjoyable episode, largely due to the acting of the guy playing the FBI agent.
Old 04-12-13, 01:23 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,513
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Great ep. I'm trying to figure out what Nina will do when she figures that Stan was the one who killed Vlad. Same with Stan and Phillip.

I'm a little sad that Gregory got killed off. He seemed like the one person that Elizabeth was comfortable being around.
Old 04-13-13, 08:57 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 46,116
Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Originally Posted by malichai View Post
I'm having more and more of a problem with this show. At first, it seemed our protagonists were KGB agents that were a bit wishy-washy about serving the motherland, most particularly the husband. He seemed to be conflicted, and kind of a good guy in a way, wanting to avenge his wife's rape and considering defecting for the children. They were also growing closer to each other, and perhaps from the seeds of a real marriage there would be some redemptive growth.

Now, it seems the show is about a pair of KGB agents in a sham marriage where they both dislike one another, and they readily murder an FBI agent doing his job. I'm not sure the leads are compelling enough for me to watch as villains, which is what they are becoming from my perspective. I don't have a problem watching shows about villains, as I enjoyed both the Sopranos and Breaking Bad. But Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys won't be able to keep me watching if they continue murdering US agents.
When I started watching Game of Thrones it was a touching drama about a close-knit family who were lords over an area of Westros and whose close connection to the king allowed for exciting new political opportunities. Now? Not so much. The sign of a great drama is the ability to change and shift the public's perceptions. I still love this show, but that was probably my least favorite episode of the series. Not terrible, but not all that exciting. And the loss of Gregory had not of the emotional impact of Amador last week.
Old 04-16-13, 01:24 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 926
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Kind of random, but has anyone else noticed that Noah Emmerich's hair has gotten fuller and more filled-in in these last two episodes? It also looks more blonde and less gray/white than I remember in previous ones.

Besides that, loving this show. The whole parallel storyline with Phillip killing Amedore and Stand killing the young KGB agent was really well done. It was a bit unrealistic that the KGB wouldn't have just killed Gregory and left his body somewhere, but I guess it ties up lose ends by having him go out this way.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.