TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Old 04-10-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Episode 10 - "Only You" (Airs April 10, 10:00 pm e/p) - Stan pursues a lead that puts him on the trail to one of Gregory's crew members, closing the gap between him and Elizabeth, and reigniting some of the deepest conflicts between her and Philip. Written by Bradford Winters; directed by Adam Arkin.

Episode 10 of 13
Old 04-10-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: The Americans -- "Only You" -- 4/10/13

I just saw on my guide that the properly extended version of last week's episode is re-airing tonight around 11pm CST. I had to set the DVR to manually record as it's listed as a repeat, not a new episode.
Old 04-11-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm not shocked that no one's said anything yet. Kind of a "safe" episode where very little happened. In fact, it was almost too neat the way Gregory was set up to take the fall for Amador's death. I was hoping we were more on a fast track to open war over the last 3 or 4 episodes and now I'm not exactly sure where the tension is other than the ever-crumbling relationship between Phillip and Elizabeth. Even Stan seems sated with his lovely snuff picture on his desk and again talking to his wife.
Old 04-11-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, I liked the episode (the FBI guy showing up at his motel to share a beer was a good moment) but not much happened compared to last week.
Old 04-11-13, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good episode. It wasn't filler and it wasn't one of the best of this season but solid. I hated to see Gregory go but you could probably figure out he wasn't long for this show.He or one of his guys were probably going to get caught or killed at some point. I absolutely loved the scene with Gregory and Claudia with the FBI searching his home. That was pretty good.
Old 04-11-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

So he wants to die rather than go to Moscow? Seems a bit ridiculous, imho.
Old 04-11-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
So he wants to die rather than go to Moscow?
He'd be a complete fish out of water. I can see it. Though I would have asked for Cuba.
Old 04-11-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Keri Russell is hot when she's tearing off her clothes
Old 04-11-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
So he wants to die rather than go to Moscow? Seems a bit ridiculous, imho.
I'm not terribly surprised, who in their right mind wants to go to moscow in the early 80's. It's cold as shit, miserable, and he'd be the only black guy there.

I think he probably figures he's protecting Elizabeth also, because the FBI won't rest until they have an arrest or a body. Who knows what they can dig into if he leaves and they continue searching for anything they can find.
Old 04-11-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
I guess I'm not shocked that no one's said anything yet. Kind of a "safe" episode where very little happened. In fact, it was almost too neat the way Gregory was set up to take the fall for Amador's death. I was hoping we were more on a fast track to open war over the last 3 or 4 episodes and now I'm not exactly sure where the tension is other than the ever-crumbling relationship between Phillip and Elizabeth. Even Stan seems sated with his lovely snuff picture on his desk and again talking to his wife.

Look at the whole story... I thought it was a very good episode and tied up lose ends nicely. I can see Gregory not wanting to go alone moscow, I bet if Elizabeth had left with him. He would've gone. I think he pretty much explain himself as to why he would want to go out like that.

Next week's episode showed top level KBG's getting assassinated by FBI/CIA's... so I thought the last couple of episodes will be about Philip and Elizabeth feelings for each other.

I love this show!
Old 04-11-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
He'd be a complete fish out of water. I can see it. Though I would have asked for Cuba.
Being alive > not being alive
Old 04-11-13, 02:41 PM

I'm having more and more of a problem with this show. At first, it seemed our protagonists were KGB agents that were a bit wishy-washy about serving the motherland, most particularly the husband. He seemed to be conflicted, and kind of a good guy in a way, wanting to avenge his wife's rape and considering defecting for the children. They were also growing closer to each other, and perhaps from the seeds of a real marriage there would be some redemptive growth.

Now, it seems the show is about a pair of KGB agents in a sham marriage where they both dislike one another, and they readily murder an FBI agent doing his job. I'm not sure the leads are compelling enough for me to watch as villains, which is what they are becoming from my perspective. I don't have a problem watching shows about villains, as I enjoyed both the Sopranos and Breaking Bad. But Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys won't be able to keep me watching if they continue murdering US agents.
Old 04-11-13, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by malichai View Post

Now, it seems the show is about a pair of KGB agents in a sham marriage where they both dislike one another, and they readily murder an FBI agent doing his job. I'm not sure the leads are compelling enough for me to watch as villains, which is what they are becoming from my perspective. I don't have a problem watching shows about villains, as I enjoyed both the Sopranos and Breaking Bad. But Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys won't be able to keep me watching if they continue murdering US agents.
Maybe I'm watching a different show than you, but they didn't readily murder the FBI agent. Philip had no choice but to act that way after being confronted; and then they used him to try and get information. And the agent sure wasn't doing his job - he was stalking a woman he was obsessing over; acting in a jealous manner seeing Philip leave her apartment after spending the night.

The FBI agents are not portrayed innocently either. They are deeply flawed.
Old 04-11-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, if you're basing your interest in the show on whether the long arc will "redeem" (meaning fully Americanize) Philip & Elizabeth, you could well be barking up the wrong tree. The tone seems fairly well set, and the tone is that both sides are fully in the "gray area" rather than all the moral force being only on our side.
Old 04-11-13, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
And the agent sure wasn't doing his job - he was stalking a woman he was obsessing over; acting in a jealous manner seeing Philip leave her apartment after spending the night.
Wow, I totally missed that he was stalking her. My bad, I suppose that changes things, a bit, though I'm not sure that really justifies his murder.
Old 04-11-13, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They are spies, they (and the FBI) play by totally different rules.
Old 04-12-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. Totally different show.

Yes, Amador was stalking Martha. And Phillip was really worried that he killed Amador, that's why Elizabeth told him to not try to think what he would do different, shit happens, etc.

But like adamblast said, if you are looking for redemption, this is not the right show for you.

BTW, the other day I was reading an article about a Nuclear war scare that happened in 1983, it probably inspired one of the previous episodes in the show.
This wasn't the article I read, but it's related: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ter021099b.htm

The article I read, probably in the WP too, talked more about spies.
Old 04-12-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been watching this show on demand, but this was the first episode I watched live--couldn't wait because it's so good.
Old 04-12-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I didn't really buy the whole premise of the episode and how Gregory handled the situation, but I guess the writers wanted his storyline over instead of it dangling in the wind. I also thought it was funny how they portrayed the KGB as so concerned with extracting him to Moscow, when I believe the actual KGB would have simply killed him with a different set of agents (the KBG definitely has more than two field agents living in DC at any one time) and framed him for the murders.

It was still an enjoyable episode, largely due to the acting of the guy playing the FBI agent.
Old 04-12-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great ep. I'm trying to figure out what Nina will do when she figures that Stan was the one who killed Vlad. Same with Stan and Phillip.

I'm a little sad that Gregory got killed off. He seemed like the one person that Elizabeth was comfortable being around.
Old 04-13-13, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by malichai View Post
I'm having more and more of a problem with this show. At first, it seemed our protagonists were KGB agents that were a bit wishy-washy about serving the motherland, most particularly the husband. He seemed to be conflicted, and kind of a good guy in a way, wanting to avenge his wife's rape and considering defecting for the children. They were also growing closer to each other, and perhaps from the seeds of a real marriage there would be some redemptive growth.

When I started watching Game of Thrones it was a touching drama about a close-knit family who were lords over an area of Westros and whose close connection to the king allowed for exciting new political opportunities. Now? Not so much. The sign of a great drama is the ability to change and shift the public's perceptions. I still love this show, but that was probably my least favorite episode of the series. Not terrible, but not all that exciting. And the loss of Gregory had not of the emotional impact of Amador last week.
Old 04-16-13, 01:24 AM

Kind of random, but has anyone else noticed that Noah Emmerich's hair has gotten fuller and more filled-in in these last two episodes? It also looks more blonde and less gray/white than I remember in previous ones.

Besides that, loving this show. The whole parallel storyline with Phillip killing Amedore and Stand killing the young KGB agent was really well done. It was a bit unrealistic that the KGB wouldn't have just killed Gregory and left his body somewhere, but I guess it ties up lose ends by having him go out this way.