TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Southland -- "Chaos" -- 4/10/13

Old 04-10-13, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
Southland -- "Chaos" -- 4/10/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Chaos prevails in the city of angels when Cooper and Lucero are kidnapped and held hostage by a pair of tweakers. All of our cops join the frantic search to find their brothers in blue before it is too late. Sammy searches for Strokeface. Ben tries to throw Sammy off the trail while simultaneously dealing with an increasingly irrational Brooke (guest star Annie Monroe).

Directed by Christopher Chulack

Written by Zack Whedon

Episode 9 of 10

Getting close to the end. Looking forward to this episode tonight.
Old 04-10-13, 01:20 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts
Re: Southland -- "Chaos" -- 4/10/13

Zack Whedon writing an episode of Southland huh?
Old 04-10-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's written one or two others, I believe.

Any word on if this is returning or not?

A question about last week: Is it possible that the gang broke into Sammy's house AND Sherman's second girlfriend's brother stumbled upon the scene afterward and got the tape? I know signs point to no, that it was all the brother, but he just seemed too shaken up when talking to Sherman and, while I know it's just TV, the tagging seemed very elaborate for someone who wasn't in the gang. (Is he in that gang?)

And also, why would he do all that for Sherman when the last time we saw the two together they were flipping each other off? I realize it preserves the shock value to not show Sherman asking him, but it didn't add up to me.
Old 04-10-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Welp, that answers my question.

Holy fuckballs, that was intense! I thought kidnapping cops was a little too sensationalistic for this show, but that was great.
Old 04-10-13, 10:53 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Old 04-10-13, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
I thought kidnapping cops was a little too sensationalistic for this show
Agreed. It's hard for writers not to amp up the drama, but what I most like about the show is it's fiction firmly rooted in reality. I almost never watch an episode and think, "That's unrealistic."
Old 04-11-13, 01:26 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

FUCKING SHIT! Tonight's episode made anything on HBO look like child's play. I was actually sweating watching this episode. It was almost too uncomfortable to watch.

Brutal, brutal, brutal.

LOL at Sammy calling Ben's ex-psycho girlfriend "iceberg" and her telling Ben she was gonna get revenge on him by sucking every cops dick in the division.

As far as last weeks episode, my thoughts on Sherman's orchestrated break-in at Sammy's house; Ben had no idea that the baby sitter would get her ass beat and he definitely didn't foresee Sammy going on a hell bent mission to find the perp. Sherman fucked up big time.

I really hope TNT picks Southland up for another season. I've said it before, for what the show runners have to work with financially, they are producing one of the top 10 best shows ever made for television... ever!
Old 04-11-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Lucero's reaction, then ultimately his comment about his ass made for a good scene at the gay bar. Too bad it was ruined after they were drunk and he dropped the *** bomb on Cooper.

Jesus christ this episode was fucking intense. Holy shit.

As soon as I saw Sammy hit that rebar during that chase, I knew Strokeface was going to get impaled.

As I expected, Lucero was dead as soon as he was upgraded on Banshee as a series regular. No way he was going to survive this season. What a fucked up way to go out, though.
Old 04-11-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This episode was on the level of The Shield. Once they mentioned the Onion Fields, the outcome was obvious....
Old 04-12-13, 12:32 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf
This episode was on the level of The Shield. Once they mentioned the Onion Fields, the outcome was obvious....
I haven't watched The Shield, but if you say that this episode of Southland was on the same "level" was The Shield that good? If so, I need to definitely check that out.

I can't believe how much an affect last nights episode has had on me... I've never watched "regular" TV and actually sat on the edge of my seat throughout half the episode. My wife was covering her eyes almost the entire time, it was like we were watching David Fincher's 7even for the first time.

God damn, this episode rocked my fucking world... like I was on a ride that I really wanted to get off of... but secretly wanted never to end.
Old 04-12-13, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by hal9000
I haven't watched The Shield, but if you say that this episode of Southland was on the same "level" was The Shield that good? If so, I need to definitely check that out.

I can't believe how much an affect last nights episode has had on me... I've never watched "regular" TV and actually sat on the edge of my seat throughout half the episode. My wife was covering her eyes almost the entire time, it was like we were watching David Fincher's 7even for the first time.

God damn, this episode rocked my fucking world... like I was on a ride that I really wanted to get off of... but secretly wanted never to end.
If the intensity of this episode is your thing, just watch the first episode of The Shield - by (at) the end of it, you will be hooked.
Old 04-12-13, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Holy shit this episode was intense.

Lucero's torture and murder was one of the most brutal and real scenes this show has ever done. It was hard to see John watch helpless hearing Lucero scream in the bathroom. Those junkies were insane.

As far as Ben goes, things are going to blow up in his face. It's funny how the show initially started from his eyes and his learning curve in the LAPD. Now in season 5 he's really taken a turn for the darkside. His arrogance has gotten the best of him. at his Ex saying she was going to suck every dick in the precinct.

It's going to be hard seeing that next week's finale could be it.
Old 04-12-13, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hal9000
I've gone through 6 seasons of The Shield over the past few months and it is great and can have the same intensity. I do think Southland is a bit more visceral and immediate than Shield, though. Shield feels like a gritty, well done, network procedural; while Southland feels more like someone was able to mold a narrative out of footage from COPS.
Old 04-12-13, 10:02 AM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Fantastic episode all-around. Was pretty much glued to my seat for the entire hour.
Old 04-13-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Harrowing episode.
Old 04-16-13, 08:43 PM

WOW. I just finished watching this episode, that was so brutal! But like someone else said I didn't want it to end but I think I was having a full blown panic attack. I LOVE this show, and it saddens me that people watch so much reality crap...that is CRAP. This is just smart television.
Best show no one is watching.