Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Better Call Saul (AMC, 2015) S: Odenkirk, Banks

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-09-13, 02:40 PM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

As AMC‘s Breaking Bad is heading into its final eight-episode run this summer, the network and series producer Sony TV are exploring keeping the franchise alive with a spinoff series centered on one of Breaking Bad‘s most recognizable supporting characters, Bob Odenkirk‘s unflappable criminal lawyer Saul Goodman. There are no deals in place yet as the project is in its nascent stages, but I hear it is being conceived by Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan and series writer-producer Peter Gould, who created the Saul character together for a Season 2 episode written by Gould. In the episode, titled “Better Call Saul“, Walt (Bryan Cranston) and Jesse (Aaron Paul) hire the flamboyant Goodman after Badger (Matt L. Jones) is caught by the DEA. Goodman, who has been a regular presence on the show since, is a sleazy but highly competent criminal lawyer with a penchant for over-the-top TV commercials in which he uses his signature tagline “Better Call Saul!” Saul has served as Breaking Bad‘s comic relief, which is not surprising given Odenkirk’s strong comedy background. As a result, I hear the potential spinoff is eyed as a comedy, which could be one-hour, but a half-hour format also is being explored.
Old 04-09-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts
re: Better Call Saul (AMC, Premieres 2014) S:Odenkirk

Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about this. One one hand, if Vince and the regular writers are on board, it may be good. But, I could see how badly this could turn out as well.
Old 04-09-13, 02:52 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Interesting idea. Not sure how effective Saul would be as a lead. He works well as part of a strong supporting cast. Curious to see where this nets out.
Old 04-09-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

I love Breaking Bad and Saul is a great character but I'm not sure on this idea to be honest. Saul seems better suited as a side character if you ask me and I just don't know if the idea is strong enough to stand on it's own as a series. If Vince Gilligan was involved I'd at least check it out.
Old 04-09-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts

Love Saul... loved Mike more (but he ain't coming back in a spin-off). I'll watch this.
Old 04-09-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts

I'd watch this in a heartbeat. Saul cracks me up!
Old 04-09-13, 03:12 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd watch for sure, but hopefully Gilligan has something else in the works as well.
Old 04-09-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 719 Posts

I'd give it a shot. It's a little disappointing to read about, though, as it pretty much guarantees Saul's well-being for the final season of BB. Although, I guess there weren't really any remaining threats to his safety, anyway. His freedom, perhaps, but not his safety.
Old 04-09-13, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Apparently Gilligan didn't learn his lesson from The Lone Gunmen.
Old 04-09-13, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I'd give it a shot. It's a little disappointing to read about, though, as it pretty much guarantees Saul's well-being for the final season of BB. Although, I guess there weren't really any remaining threats to his safety, anyway. His freedom, perhaps, but not his safety.
Could be a prequel.
Old 04-09-13, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd watch. If it were a 30 minute comedy and it also had Badger and Skinny Pete I'd be excited. If it were a prequel with Mike, I'd be ecstatic.
Old 04-09-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
In addition to it being a prequel, this could also be a ruse to throw us about something to do with the upcoming season, particularly in light of the script theft.

If it is a real viable idea, I hope they shoot it as though it will only be one season, it's sort of an anthology, and that it's a dark dramedy feel hourlong.
Old 07-03-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/br...d-ahead-101091

The Saul Goodman spinoff is in full development mode now. Gilligan and Gould are still working out logistics on what they are pitching to Sony. It's either a prequel or follow up.

If its a prequel, Gilligan says its possible he could bring back Gus Fring.
Old 07-03-13, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

I'll watch it if it's made but I'm still skeptical on the idea. I think Saul's part works on Breaking Bad because he's only on it now and again and is a part of a larger ensemble cast. Not sure if it's a strong enough premise to base an entire series on personally. It seems like something that could really fizzle out unless there's a strong supporting cast and some really interesting stories. Still though as I mentioned earlier if Vince Gilligan is involved with it I'll check it out.
Old 07-03-13, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I hope in the first episode they have Saul's sister dumping her young daughter off on Saul, so we see him juggling his legal career with parenthood. I also hope they shoot it three camera style with a laugh track. Just as big "Fuck you" to the fans of Breaking Bad.
Old 07-03-13, 09:55 PM

I'd have far more interest if it's a follow-up than if it's a prequel that features characters that are dead in the current fictional timeline. There's just a level of cognitive dissonance I won't be able to shake.
Old 07-03-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I hope in the first episode they have Saul's sister dumping her young daughter off on Saul, so we see him juggling his legal career with parenthood. I also hope they shoot it three camera style with a laugh track. Just as big "Fuck you" to the fans of Breaking Bad.
Maybe Caroline Rhea as the nosy next-door neighbor too.

Not interested in a Saul spinoff. Just let this magnificent series finish nobly without tarnishing it by trying to squeeze out every nickel.
Old 07-03-13, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Saul's always seemed to me more like a walking spoof than a real character.

It works on the main show because while structured like a heavy serialized drama, a lot of what goes on is gallows humor and grim satire. That's the undercurrent. I don't know how well it works as the primary driver, especially with a cipher in the center. Hell, after how-many-seasons on the air, you still can't say whether he's smarter or stupider than he lets on.

Everywhere but Breaking Bad, Odenkirk has always been the death of comedy. I'm really open to seeing more in this universe, but this doesn't sound what I'd call promising. Surprise me, Vince!
Old 07-03-13, 10:52 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 'comedy' tag worries me, but if they could nail the tone of the first two seasons of Breaking Bad it could be worth watching. I think a show following Saul and his motley crew of deadbeat criminal clients has potential. Without knowing Saul's fate in the final season of BB, I'd have a followup than a prequel. A prequel with Odenkirk could only go so far back before his first appearance in BB season 2, and it would kill any suspense they built around him as a lead character since we know he turns out okay. Plus I'd rather have a fresh location.
Old 07-03-13, 11:21 PM
Banned

Must miss.
Old 07-04-13, 06:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Interesting idea. Not sure how effective Saul would be as a lead. He works well as part of a strong supporting cast. Curious to see where this nets out.
I'm only a couple of seasons into BB (on DVD), so have just encountered Saul.

I wonder what people first thought when they learned that the Cheers spin-off featured Kelsey Grammer. I must admit that when I first heard the rumours I was half-expecting any spinoff would feature Woody and his wife!

NB) Never saw the Tortelliis.
Old 07-04-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Yeah apparently there was a poll conducted around the end of Cheers' run, and Frasier was one or the least voted candidates.
Old 07-04-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by benedict
I'm only a couple of seasons into BB (on DVD), so have just encountered Saul.

I wonder what people first thought when they learned that the Cheers spin-off featured Kelsey Grammer. I must admit that when I first heard the rumours I was half-expecting any spinoff would feature Woody and his wife!

NB) Never saw the Tortelliis.
I think this pretty much nails it. Vince has a pretty horrid track record on spin offs so far, but it really is a project by project type of thing. People loved Friends and hated Joey. Frasier was not necessarily the most obvious fodder for a Cheers spin off. The Jeffersons was more brilliant than you might have thought.

This may be horrible. It may be brilliant. Personally I think Saul's character may be best suited to going to prison and surviving in a very hostile place with his unique skill set. That is what I'd like to see.
Old 07-04-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

What a waste. Kind of demonstrates what a studio "believes" it wants versus what the audience is telling them. Ratings don't mean shit if a production wants something.

Saul is a character (among many other characters) which keeps Breaking Bad being a top-notch series. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking these interesting characters can actually do a series on their own and keep an audience entertained for more than a few episodes.
Old 07-04-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

I disagree entirely, I love Saul and it keeps the show's darkly comical sensibility from seeming out of place.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.