Reload this Page >

Hemlock Grove - new Netflix series from Eli Roth starting 4/19/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-25-13, 07:24 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix had a hit with House of Cards, and now they have another original series on the way. Today, we’re pleased to premiere two new images from Netflix’s upcoming series, Hemlock Grove. Produced by Eli Roth and based on Brian McGreevy‘s book of the same name, Hemlock Grove centers on the citizens of the titular town and an investigation into the death of 17-year-old Brooke Bluebell, which reveals much more than anyone expected.

The show stars Famke Janssen (X-Men), Bill Skarsgård (Simon & The Oaks), Landon Liboiron (Terra Nova), Penelope Mitchell (6 Plots), Freya Tingley (X), and Dougray Scott (Mission: Impossible II). Hemlock Grove will be available on Netflix starting April 19th.

Here’s the synopsis and WonderCon info:

From Eli Roth and based on Brian McGreevy’s book of the same name, the series starring Famke Janssen, Bill Skarsgard, Landon Liboiron, Penelope Mitchell, Freya Tingley and Dougray Scott, is a riveting one-hour murder mystery that revolves around the residents of a former Pennsylvania steel town. Coming to WonderCon on March 29th, the series also stars Lili Taylor, Joel de la Fuente, Aaron Douglas and Kandyse McClure.

Follow twitter.com/hemlockgrove and Facebook.com/hemlockgrove and visit netflix.com/hemlockgrove for more information on the series in the weeks to come.
Old 03-25-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Hemlock Grove - new Netflix series from Eli Roth starting 4/19/13

House of Cards was their super slick serious series, this looks like their version of True Blood.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-25-13 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 06:49 AM
Suspended

Hemlock Grove centers on the citizens of the titular town and an investigation into the death of 17-year-old Brooke Bluebell, which reveals much more than anyone expected.
Based on the synopsis it seems like Twin Peaks with werewolves. I'll give it a shot though.
Old 04-09-13, 12:40 PM

This looks pretty crazy. I know there is a streaming thread, but this was started in TV aswell. So...everyone can know this exists and starts soon.

Old 04-19-13, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bump

This premieres Friday on Netflix. All 13 episodes will be posted. I think this should be the thread for the series. Episode specific discussions didn't work with House of Cards. Most here did mass episode marathons and only commented on the series as a whole. That will probably be the case for this show.

I probably won't have time to start this right away.
Old 04-19-13, 01:20 AM

Reviews make it sound like a hot mess but I will check it out.
Old 04-19-13, 08:36 AM

The tone of this show is so utterly bizarre, I'm digging it.
Old 04-19-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just added it to my queue and will check it out.
Old 04-19-13, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You must be this tall to be a Skarsgård.

I don't know what to make of the show after the Pilot episode. It's really campy with some acceptable and some cringe inducing acting.

However, the camp is consistent with the world they're building so it's actually acceptable. It's like True Blood crossed with some CW show.

It's intentionally vague but it mostly flows pretty well. I'll watch the full season and see how it turns out, it's so different that it's at least interesting.

I know watching it I sort of wish Roth and company ripped off American Horror Story a little more. It actually reminds me of an anime.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-19-13 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 07:46 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by danfindlay View Post
Reviews make it sound like a hot mess but I will check it out.
I watched the first episode it's more like The OC with werewolves, I didn't find the pilot to be that good but I'll watch another this weekend if I get bored. I do want to know about the Frankenstein girl's backstory.
Old 04-21-13, 10:22 AM

I finished episode 3 and am digging the show so far. It has a very interesting vibe to it. I am sure it'll degenerate into a self-reverential camp fest before long, as most supernaturally-themed TV shows tend to, but I am in for the ride. I hope the quality doesn't drop off as fast as House of Cards did.
Old 04-21-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've watched 5 episodes and it definitely has some good moments, but a lot of it is incoherent - it keeps feeling like vital scenes that explain what the fuck is going on have been excised. Famke's accent is beyond terrible and they aren't using their freedom for gore/nudity nearly as much as similar shows do. So far the positives are JUST outweighing the negatives, but barely. I'll tough it out and hope it gets better by the time it is over, but for a werewolf show, it is very light on the werewolf action.
Old 04-21-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've watched 3 episodes and yeah, nothing that great, but interesting enough if there isn't anything better on TV.
I really expected more nudity.
Old 04-22-13, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Made it through about one and a half episodes before I had to stop watching to do something else, and honestly not sure if I will go back to it. Very campy, very over the top and not really catching my interest. Might give it another episode or two, but most reviews I've read, aside from EW which gave it a B+, have been pretty bad.
Old 04-22-13, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It reminds me of the ABC show The Gates.

Wife and I watched 2 eps and while it is interesting...the pacing needs to really pick up. I also found the scenes with the high school boring as fuck. Ill stick with it though.
Old 04-28-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
You must be this tall to be a Skarsgård.

I don't know what to make of the show after the Pilot episode. It's really campy with some acceptable and some cringe inducing acting.

However, the camp is consistent with the world they're building so it's actually acceptable. It's like True Blood crossed with some CW show.

It's intentionally vague but it mostly flows pretty well. I'll watch the full season and see how it turns out, it's so different that it's at least interesting.

I know watching it I sort of wish Roth and company ripped off American Horror Story a little more. It actually reminds me of an anime.
Is that anime you're talking about Shiki? It has a few similar themes but this show is missing something. There's no clear direction or energy in this show. I'm half way through and I feel like it should already be over. And I feel that it's hard to call it a slow burn as those type of shows need good writing and acting that draw you in and let the plot come to you when it's ready. I will say the upir dude eating out a girl on the rag and the werewolf shedding his body and eating it were things I've never seen before. However, cool shit is just too few and far between here. Some of these episode will put you to sleep. How much involvement does Eli Roth have in this?
Old 04-28-13, 10:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life View Post
I hope the quality doesn't drop off as fast as House of Cards did.
What? That show never dropped off, if anything it got better as the serious progressed. Not much of a finale though.
Old 04-28-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So yeah, this wasn't very good. Netflix is 2 for 3 (Lilyhammer and HoC).
Old 05-01-13, 06:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I can't tell what to make of this so far. I'm three eps deep and while it seems interesting I'm not quite sure I really like it. Very odd.
Old 05-03-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only have the finale left but I wanted to post some thoughts.

This show definitely starts off rough, seemingly dropping you in the middle of everything without much setup.

Once passed the first episode, it certainly got better. I've come to enjoy this a lot and am curious to see this mythology develop.

Definitely some gross moments, mainly centered around a exhumation and a jar and a worm, and I grew up on the Evil Dead and the like.

If you're early on, stick with it. First episode seems like a pointless mess, but gets its footing soon after.
Old 05-03-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I finished it last night and I'm confused.

Spoiler:
is Famke Jansen a real life Tranny? Seriously...

Anyway, the ending seemed to have been tacked on. Meaning they wrapped it up, then there was more and the "more" was like "huh"?
Old 05-04-13, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haha at your spoiler.

Are you talking about the bit after the credits?

Anyway, the finale was a crazy bloodbath, it just went nuts. I'll keep an eye out for season two, for sure.
Old 05-04-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by SuckaMC View Post
Haha at your spoiler.

Are you talking about the bit after the credits?

Anyway, the finale was a crazy bloodbath, it just went nuts. I'll keep an eye out for season two, for sure.

I just think it should have ended after the killer was discovered. But I guess they were setting it up for another season?
Old 05-05-13, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What an epic pile of shit this series was. I could barely remember what happened from episode to episode. You have vampires, werewolves, unethical research facility and what an order of supernatural hunters? How did they manage to make this so boring? This could've been so much better than it was.
Old 06-19-13, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess not many here watched this and felt like talking about it.

I haven't had the time to start it.

Anyways, Netflix ordered a 2nd season today. 10 episodes.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/heml...eason-netflix/

Charles Eglee, who was a producer on The Walking Dead during season 1, was hired to work on the show.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.