Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hemlock Grove - Netflix series from Eli Roth starting 4/19/13

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 07:31 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts
Hemlock Grove - Netflix series from Eli Roth starting 4/19/13

Netflix just announced a new exclusive show. Hemlock Grove will be a Mystery/Horror series directed by Eli Roth and starring Famke Janssen and Bill Skarsgard. The 13-episode first season will premiere in early 2013.

Only on Netflix: Premier Horror Suspense Director Eli Roth Reanimates the Gothic Novel With "Hemlock Grove"

"Hemlock Grove," a gripping tale of murder, mystery and monsters set in a ravaged Pennsylvania steel town, starring Famke Janssen and Bill Skarsgard and produced by Gaumont International Television, will be available for Netflix members to watch instantly, beginning early in 2013.

"Hemlock Grove" starts with the body of a young girl, mangled and murdered in the shadow of the former Godfrey steel mill. Some suspect an escapee from the White Tower, a biotech facility owned by the former steel magnates. Others believe the killer could be Peter, a 17-year-old Gypsy kid from the wrong side of the tracks, who tells his classmates he's a werewolf. Or it could be Roman (Skarsgard), the arrogant Godfrey scion, whose sister Shelley is disturbingly deformed and whose mother, Olivia (Janssen), the otherworldly beautiful and controlling grand dame of Hemlock Grove.

As the crime goes unsolved and outlandish rumors mount, Peter and Roman decide to find the killer themselves, confronting unspeakable truths about themselves and Hemlock Grove as the mystery unfolds.

"Eli Roth is a master of this genre and Brian McGreevy's brilliant novel gives Roth a world where he can create his magic," said Ted Sarandos, Netflix Chief Content Officer. "'Hemlock Grove' is a sly blend of J.D. Salinger and Mary Shelley and will appeal to a broad base of fans captivated by these rich characters and stunning visuals."

"I've been waiting for years to dive into television, and Eric Newman and I founded Arcade to do elevated genre projects exactly like 'Hemlock Grove'. Brian McGreevy's novel blew me away, and the material lends itself perfectly to long format storytelling. 'Hemlock Grove' is smart, dark, complex, and at times terrifying," said Eli Roth.

He added: "What's most exciting to me is creating the series for Netflix, which as a feature filmmaker is like telling a story in a new medium. Netflix as a platform is the perfect hybrid of cinema, television, and social networking, with the creative freedom to go as dark as the story needs."

The 13 episode first season of "Hemlock Grove" is Roth's first foray into serialized drama as a director and executive producer.

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...143630266.html
Old 03-22-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: Hemlock Grove - Netflix Original Series from Eli Roth

Netflix is really investing alot in original programs. They have House of Cards, which is reportedly costing $100M, Arrested Development next year, and now this.

I've enjoyed Eli Roth's work for the most part, so I'll probably check this out.
Old 04-14-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/doug...hemlock-grove/

Dougray Scott is expected to get the male lead role in this series.
Old 03-25-13, 07:24 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Hemlock Grove - new Netflix series from Eli Roth starting 4/19/13

Netflix had a hit with House of Cards, and now they have another original series on the way. Today, we’re pleased to premiere two new images from Netflix’s upcoming series, Hemlock Grove. Produced by Eli Roth and based on Brian McGreevy‘s book of the same name, Hemlock Grove centers on the citizens of the titular town and an investigation into the death of 17-year-old Brooke Bluebell, which reveals much more than anyone expected.

The show stars Famke Janssen (X-Men), Bill Skarsgård (Simon & The Oaks), Landon Liboiron (Terra Nova), Penelope Mitchell (6 Plots), Freya Tingley (X), and Dougray Scott (Mission: Impossible II). Hemlock Grove will be available on Netflix starting April 19th.

Here’s the synopsis and WonderCon info:

From Eli Roth and based on Brian McGreevy’s book of the same name, the series starring Famke Janssen, Bill Skarsgard, Landon Liboiron, Penelope Mitchell, Freya Tingley and Dougray Scott, is a riveting one-hour murder mystery that revolves around the residents of a former Pennsylvania steel town. Coming to WonderCon on March 29th, the series also stars Lili Taylor, Joel de la Fuente, Aaron Douglas and Kandyse McClure.

Follow twitter.com/hemlockgrove and Facebook.com/hemlockgrove and visit netflix.com/hemlockgrove for more information on the series in the weeks to come.
Old 03-25-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
re: Hemlock Grove - Netflix series from Eli Roth starting 4/19/13

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WweCmgr7fyA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

House of Cards was their super slick serious series, this looks like their version of True Blood.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-25-13 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 06:49 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hemlock Grove centers on the citizens of the titular town and an investigation into the death of 17-year-old Brooke Bluebell, which reveals much more than anyone expected.
Based on the synopsis it seems like Twin Peaks with werewolves. I'll give it a shot though.
Old 03-30-13, 01:19 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YNieysjSZW4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-31-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That looks crazy.
Old 04-09-13, 12:40 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

This looks pretty crazy. I know there is a streaming thread, but this was started in TV aswell. So...everyone can know this exists and starts soon.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YNieysjSZW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-18-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This starts streaming today, Netflix ads say it already is but I assume it'll be 3 am.
Old 04-19-13, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Bump

This premieres Friday on Netflix. All 13 episodes will be posted. I think this should be the thread for the series. Episode specific discussions didn't work with House of Cards. Most here did mass episode marathons and only commented on the series as a whole. That will probably be the case for this show.

I probably won't have time to start this right away.
Old 04-19-13, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reviews make it sound like a hot mess but I will check it out.
Old 04-19-13, 08:36 AM

The tone of this show is so utterly bizarre, I'm digging it.
Old 04-19-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I just added it to my queue and will check it out.
Old 04-19-13, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You must be this tall to be a Skarsgård.

I don't know what to make of the show after the Pilot episode. It's really campy with some acceptable and some cringe inducing acting.

However, the camp is consistent with the world they're building so it's actually acceptable. It's like True Blood crossed with some CW show.

It's intentionally vague but it mostly flows pretty well. I'll watch the full season and see how it turns out, it's so different that it's at least interesting.

I know watching it I sort of wish Roth and company ripped off American Horror Story a little more. It actually reminds me of an anime.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-19-13 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 07:46 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by danfindlay
Reviews make it sound like a hot mess but I will check it out.
I watched the first episode it's more like The OC with werewolves, I didn't find the pilot to be that good but I'll watch another this weekend if I get bored. I do want to know about the Frankenstein girl's backstory.
Old 04-21-13, 10:22 AM

I finished episode 3 and am digging the show so far. It has a very interesting vibe to it. I am sure it'll degenerate into a self-reverential camp fest before long, as most supernaturally-themed TV shows tend to, but I am in for the ride. I hope the quality doesn't drop off as fast as House of Cards did.
Old 04-21-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've watched 5 episodes and it definitely has some good moments, but a lot of it is incoherent - it keeps feeling like vital scenes that explain what the fuck is going on have been excised. Famke's accent is beyond terrible and they aren't using their freedom for gore/nudity nearly as much as similar shows do. So far the positives are JUST outweighing the negatives, but barely. I'll tough it out and hope it gets better by the time it is over, but for a werewolf show, it is very light on the werewolf action.
Old 04-21-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've watched 3 episodes and yeah, nothing that great, but interesting enough if there isn't anything better on TV.
I really expected more nudity.
Old 04-22-13, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Made it through about one and a half episodes before I had to stop watching to do something else, and honestly not sure if I will go back to it. Very campy, very over the top and not really catching my interest. Might give it another episode or two, but most reviews I've read, aside from EW which gave it a B+, have been pretty bad.
Old 04-22-13, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

It reminds me of the ABC show The Gates.

Wife and I watched 2 eps and while it is interesting...the pacing needs to really pick up. I also found the scenes with the high school boring as fuck. Ill stick with it though.
Old 04-24-13, 08:29 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

So did anyone check this out? I don't have Netflix, but am curious to see how this is.
Old 04-24-13, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Geofferson
So did anyone check this out? I don't have Netflix, but am curious to see how this is.
There's a thread in TV Talk floating around. A few people watched it last week. I haven't gotten a chance to start it yet.
Old 04-24-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The show is ripe with potential but fails, hard, to live up to any of it.

I like the atmosphere, but the acting, writing, and plotlines are just bad. That said, it is mildly entertaining in a STV movie kind of way.
Old 04-28-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
You must be this tall to be a Skarsgård.

I don't know what to make of the show after the Pilot episode. It's really campy with some acceptable and some cringe inducing acting.

However, the camp is consistent with the world they're building so it's actually acceptable. It's like True Blood crossed with some CW show.

It's intentionally vague but it mostly flows pretty well. I'll watch the full season and see how it turns out, it's so different that it's at least interesting.

I know watching it I sort of wish Roth and company ripped off American Horror Story a little more. It actually reminds me of an anime.
Is that anime you're talking about Shiki? It has a few similar themes but this show is missing something. There's no clear direction or energy in this show. I'm half way through and I feel like it should already be over. And I feel that it's hard to call it a slow burn as those type of shows need good writing and acting that draw you in and let the plot come to you when it's ready. I will say the upir dude eating out a girl on the rag and the werewolf shedding his body and eating it were things I've never seen before. However, cool shit is just too few and far between here. Some of these episode will put you to sleep. How much involvement does Eli Roth have in this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.