TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Daily Show's politics

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 10:12 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Daily Show's politics

I know I probably shouldn't post this. I'm probably not going to like the responses I get and I hate to start too much political debate, but this has been so annoying. In just the last few weeks, TDS has become so anti-Bush. I realize given some of the news out there right now, it's understandable, but what really gets me is Jon Stewart's interviews. Just a month ago I would have said Stewart was my favorite interviewer, but it seems like he manages to work in anti-republican comments into every interview now.

Plus, TDS has had mainly serious guests the past month. Has this bothered anybody else? I guess this shouldn't bother me, but this show used to be the most entertaining talk show on TV and has become so much more boring in the past month.
Old 01-29-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's SATIRE. they're supposed to go after the status quo.
Old 01-29-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Well I don't watch the Daily Show all the time, but all comedians make fun of the President. I have noticed several "serious" guests, although they still can be funny, like when John McCain was on.

Just remember, it's all a joke
Old 01-29-04, 10:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Odd that I don't see you complaining about the right-wing politics on the "Dennis Miller Show."

It's no big secret that Stewart is left leaning, but "The Daily Show" isn't really all that political. They make pot-shots at both sides. The person who's taken the biggest beating from the show lately isn't Bush, it's Howard Dean.
Old 01-29-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I used to watch this show, but it's just too liberal, and that was years ago when I stopped. I think Clinton was still in office. Even the stuff not being directed at specific politicians was defintely slanted left.
Old 01-29-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is too liberal plus all they show now are political interviews. I know the elections are coming soon but every night???
Old 01-29-04, 10:34 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the serious guests tend to get longer interviews often 2 segments which cuts down on the comedy. So when half the show is Stewart interviewing some boring liberal, it's NOT SATIRE.
Old 01-29-04, 10:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Stewart only interviews "boring liberals"? Not by a long shot.
Old 01-29-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that the show leans to the left, but they do take shots at the left, too. I do wish the show was meaner all around though; I don't like how politicians and "legitimate" news anchors go on the show and try to be all cool, and "in on the joke". I wish the show was so harsh on those people, that they wouldn't dare allow themselves to be interviewed.

Either was, it is still a great show. Colbert is the man!

And you can't blame them for attacking the right wing, right now; I mean, the jokes write themselves!
Old 01-29-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I enjoy the show. They play on the "evil" of Bush regarding the environment, etc. (w/Christine Todd Whitman as the guest), but they also make a lot of fun of all the Dems. They hammered Clark last night.

Anyway, I know they lean left, but they make fun of anything given the opportunity, imo.
Old 01-29-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ever since 9/11, the Daily Show has made more of an effort to book "serious" guests. This trend has been going on for the past 2 years.

As far as politics, Jon Stewart parodies the NEWS. If the president is in the news due to his failure to answer questions and the shaky justification fro going into war, of course Jon Stewart is going to make jokes about it. Just like he has been making jokes for months about the Democratic candidates and their "Run FROM the White House", etc.

I think it is sad that Jon Stewart is the only newscaster who points out the obvious. The so-called "liberal media" have been pretty soft on our entire government (Repubs and Dems) and fail to ask the obvious questions of our leaders. It is refreshing to see someone actually not afraid to point out hypocrisies.
Old 01-29-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoy the show too, and I think they do a pretty good job of ridiculing both sides. The left-bias seems to really manifest itself in the interviews, where the tone of the show changes somewhat.
Old 01-29-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
God. There are people who are complaing that THE freaking DAILY SHOW is too liberal.

Psst...it's not a real news show.
Old 01-30-04, 12:10 AM

I've heard it all now. Since when wasn't Jon Stewart liberal? And what is wrong with that exactly? I certainly didn't hear you complaining about all of his Clinton jokes - but I guess that doesn't count. The show satires the news of the day and right now the news is all about politics. If you don't like it, change the channel.
Old 01-30-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
mariakitty brings out the claws

Old 01-30-04, 12:32 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have a problem with them making fun of anybody, but I think Stewart has taken it to the next level of criticizing the republicans, without making a joke, in the interviews. I don't have a problem with Stewart stating his opinions. I guess it's just that he's been on the air for years and I don't remember him ever doing this before. I guess I just always assumed he was more in the middle.
Old 01-30-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
As far as i've noticed, they make fun of whatever and whoever is in the news. If we have a democrat in office next year, you'll be hearing mostly about him. Personally, i don't care which direction Stewart and The Daily Show leans. In the end, its all funny
Old 01-30-04, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't watch The Daily Show for news. That's what Fox is for.

Besides, I think he hits on both sides fairly equally.

John Kerry: "Brains...more brains!"
Old 01-30-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why does it seem that liberals can laugh at jokes about Dems, but conservatives get so upset over Bush jokes?
Old 01-30-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jadzia
Why does it seem that liberals can laugh at jokes about Dems, but conservatives get so upset over Bush jokes?
Moving to mature

you said bush...heheheheheheh

Last edited by Roto; 01-30-04 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-30-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Draven
God. There are people who are complaing that THE freaking DAILY SHOW is too liberal.

Psst...it's not a real news show.

But they are trying hard to be a real news show with every freaking night being overun with election coverage. I'd rather have them make fun of some idiot that sells some stupid toy than what Howard Dean or George Bush did for the day. If I want to know that I'll watch the real news.
Old 01-30-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Mopower
But they are trying hard to be a real news show
Umm....no they aren't. They are trying hard to satirize real news shows.

Sweet Jebus, people. It's a comedy program.
Old 01-30-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Morf
Umm....no they aren't. They are trying hard to satirize real news shows.

Sweet Jebus, people. It's a comedy program.

Then why have a political guest or some author of a political book on every night and then have them on for 2 segments or half the show??

And sweet jebus don't get so worked up about other peoples opinions.
Old 01-30-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mopower
Then why have a political guest or some author of a political book on every night and then have them on for 2 segments or half the show??

And sweet jebus don't get so worked up about other peoples opinions.
Exactly. The satire portion of it is 100% fine with me... basically, the first 1/2 (or 2/3, even) of the show, when they're doing their comedy stuff, has been evenhanded, funny, and great. It's when the interviews start the Stewart really seems to show his preferences, and even that's only minor.
Old 01-30-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
No one remembers the Clinton and Al Gore jokes?

What's wrong with Jon Stewart showing his "preferences?" It's an entertainment show. There are no questions of liberal media or journalistic integrity. The man is a comedian.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.