Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Any new sci-fi shows in the works?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 428 Likes on 249 Posts
Any new sci-fi shows in the works?

Is anyone aware of any new sci-fi TV shows in the pipeline? Something that is not here on Earth; such as B5, BSG, Farscape, Stargate, Star Trek, etc.?

Stargate: Universe was the last show I watched regularly.

I guess 44 year old scifi geeks aren't really a lucrative demographic.
Old 03-23-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Any new sci-fi shows in the works?

Defiance. Premieres next month on SyFy.
Old 03-23-13, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending how the DVD sells for BSG Blood & Chrome, there was talk about making more of that.
Old 03-23-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I am pretty sure SyFy passed on that BSG, regardless of how well it sells.
Old 03-23-13, 07:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Defiance. Premieres next month on SyFy.
I'm a little skeptical, given that you're supposed to watch the show AND play the video game. Seems like they'll do a half-ass job on both, but I hope I'm wrong.
Old 03-23-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm a little skeptical, given that you're supposed to watch the show AND play the video game. Seems like they'll do a half-ass job on both, but I hope I'm wrong.
I agree with you. This is Syfy we're talking about here. They even half-assed their name. I have zero faith in them making a decent show.
Old 03-23-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the CW had a couple possible new sci-fi shows next fall. Too early to know for sure.

SHIELD on ABC this fall?

Orphan Black on BBCA?
Old 03-23-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk God

All I know about the show is it's from the creator of Farscape (Rockne O'Bannon) and takes place in another universe. And yes, I do know about the video game that is being released at the same time.
Old 03-23-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I am pretty sure SyFy passed on that BSG, regardless of how well it sells.
It wasn't for SyFy. Sounded like they might go with straight to DVD releases. So I guess not a TV series but a series of releases.
Old 03-23-13, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Unless a premium cable channel wants to tackle sci-fi aimed at adults, I see it becoming an extinct genre on television like Westerns. Sci-fi costs big bucks to produce and the serialized storytelling automatically limits your audience, unless it is tied to a proven brand like Star Wars or Star Trek.

Fantasy has hung around better because it can appeal to both genders in a weekly format.
Old 03-23-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not Alphas.
Old 03-24-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Something to look at is Joss Whedon down the line a bit. He's busy for now be he's going to be weilding some unprecedented power after the next 2 Avengers films go thermonuclear. He could get total creative control of a series which I think is unheard of in TV...if he wants it.
Old 03-24-13, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nothing going on that I know of but it wouldn't surprise me if Paramount tried another Star Trek series in a few years. A franchise made popular again with the recent movies.
Old 03-24-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Stephen DeKnight (Spartacus) is developing one for Starz called Incursion
Old 03-24-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not too sure about Defiance. But I liked Rockne O'Bannon's work on Farscape, so I'll definitely give it a look.

Incursion sounds more what I was hoping for: Other worlds and lots of shoot-em-up.
Old 03-24-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Incursion hasn't even shot a Pilot yet. DeKnight hasn't received the greenlight to shoot it yet. No actors have been cast either. It's going to be a long wait for that one to make it to series (if it does)
Old 03-24-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I would think a new Star Trek series is inevitable at some point by the end of the decade
Old 03-24-13, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Unless a premium cable channel wants to tackle sci-fi aimed at adults, I see it becoming an extinct genre on television like Westerns. Sci-fi costs big bucks to produce and the serialized storytelling automatically limits your audience, unless it is tied to a proven brand like Star Wars or Star Trek.

Fantasy has hung around better because it can appeal to both genders in a weekly format.
I could see that, but it makes me sad--I can't really see the point of unserialized shows, with the exception of sitcoms. If I'm going to take the time to watch something, I want the writers to make the story rich and detailed, with each episode connected to the previous one. I think even well done monster of the week shows get pretty boring.

I don't know of any new scifi shows coming up. I'm pretty excited about American Gods on HBO. I'm hoping Dracula will be good (love Jonathon Rhys Meyers) but it's on network television, so I'm skeptical.
Old 03-24-13, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,006 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
All I know about the show is it's from the creator of Farscape (Rockne O'Bannon) and takes place in another universe.
I believe Defiance takes place mostly on Earth in the near future, though the premise does involve aliens from another star system coming here.

Not new (obviously) but there's Doctor Who. It is sometimes more fantasy, but many of its episodes are straight-up sci-fi and some of them take place on other worlds or in space.

I miss Stargate: Universe.
Old 03-24-13, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd love if HBO and/or Showtime greenlit a space-based scifi series. Give it the full Game of Thrones treatment with a lavish budget combined with an adult-oriented sensibility.
Old 03-25-13, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips
Something that is not here on Earth

Stargate: Universe was the last show I watched regularly.
"Not on Earth" seems like an odd requirement(is that akin to saying "something with aliens?"), and if you really haven't watched any sci-fi since Universe you shouldn't shrug off Fringe just because it takes place on Earth.

The Stargate franchise exemplifies your point about serialized sci-fi.

SG-1: largely episodic. Sure the goa'uld(and later the Ori) were the big bad, but for the bulk of the show episodes were self contained. Lasted 10 years.

Atlantis: comes along with about a 50-50 ratio of episodic vs. serial. Lasted 5 years.

Universe: presents the viewer with a 100% serialized format. Dead after 2 seasons.

I think Lost really hurt the genre(in multiple ways) in regards to appealing to the general populace. First, people got burned on the final season/finale. Like it or love it, the general consensus wasn't positive. Second, all the serialized sci-fi "me toos" that followed really burned people out. Surface, the Event, Alcatraz, V, the River, Flash Forward, Knight Rider, Dollhouse, Terminator, Eleventh Hour, Terra Nova, etc. Sci-fi had it's chance and the networks pissed it away.
Old 03-25-13, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips
I guess 44 year old scifi geeks aren't really a lucrative demographic.
This is what killed cable for me. If the ad market isn't interested in a genre or whatever then let us pay for it entirely...but that doesn't happen and even the commercial free premium channels play the demo game.

Originally Posted by BearFan
I would think a new Star Trek series is inevitable at some point by the end of the decade
Iirc Seth MacFarlene said he'd like to do a Star Trek series. Not sure how good he'd be at it but the sci-fi stuff on Family Guy is good and he does have respect for the franchise.

As an aside I'm still wondering if the Jonathan Frakes "Riker as Captain" TNG spin off still has a shot of happening.
Old 03-25-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't 'have' to play the video game, they are just set in the same world.
Early reviews seem promising
Old 03-25-13, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I'd love if HBO and/or Showtime greenlit a space-based scifi series. Give it the full Game of Thrones treatment with a lavish budget combined with an adult-oriented sensibility.
Mass effect series
Old 03-25-13, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
"Not on Earth" seems like an odd requirement(is that akin to saying "something with aliens?"), and if you really haven't watched any sci-fi since Universe you shouldn't shrug off Fringe just because it takes place on Earth.
"Not on Earth" was because shows like Smallville, Eureka, etc. didn't click with me. The ones I did like involved space-travel or other planets. Not necessarily aliens; for example I liked BSG and Firefly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.