DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Valerie Harper diagnosed with terminal brain cancer [UPDATE: Dead at 80] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/609171-valerie-harper-diagnosed-terminal-brain-cancer-%5Bupdate-dead-80%5D.html)

The Infidel 03-06-13 08:42 AM

Valerie Harper diagnosed with terminal brain cancer [UPDATE: Dead at 80]

Via Yahoo TV:

“The Mary Tyler Moore” show was known for its humor, but one of its stars is facing a situation that’s far from funny.

Valerie Harper, 73, has been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, People reports.

The erstwhile Rhoda Morgenstern explained that a slew of tests showed that she has leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, “a rare condition that occurs when cancer cells spread into the fluid-filled membrane surrounding the brain.”

The television icon received the word from her doctors on Jan. 15 that she has as little as three months to live.

"I was stunned," she told the magazine of first hearing the news. "And in the next minute I thought, 'This could draw more attention to cancer research.' I think there's an opportunity to help people."

Now that it's sunk in, “I don’t think of dying,” she said. “I think of being here now.”

Harper appeared on “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” from 1970 until 1974, when she landed a spin-off show called “Rhoda,” which aired from 1974-1978. She’s appeared on numerous television shows throughout her long and storied career, most recently voicing a character this year on “The Simpsons.”

Harper also published her memoir, "I, Rhoda," earlier this year and did a full round of press and signings to promote it. Despite everything she was going through, you'd be hard-pressed to find a photo of her with anything less of a great big smile.

Needless to say, we deeply admire her courage.

andicus 03-06-13 09:38 AM

re: Valerie Harper diagnosed with terminal brain cancer [UPDATE: Dead at 80]

Well that sucks...

lewisb73 03-06-13 09:44 AM

Just read that before coming on here... very sad indeed... remember her more for her self titled show in the 80's with Jason Bateman costarring

dex14 03-06-13 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by lewisb73 (Post 11603673)
Just read that before coming on here... very sad indeed... remember her more for her self titled show in the 80's with Jason Bateman costarring

http://sharetv.org/images/the_hogan_family-show.jpg

Same here...although I'm more familiar with the later years with Sandy Duncan

madcougar 03-06-13 10:13 AM

Tough way to go out.

andicus 03-06-13 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 11603702)
http://sharetv.org/images/the_hogan_family-show.jpg

Same here...although I'm more familiar with the later years with Sandy Duncan

Wasn't it called 'Valerie' but changed to The Hogan Family when she left?

Mr. Flix 03-06-13 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 11603762)

It was Valerie while she was on it for two seasons. When she left, they called it Valerie's Family: The Hogans, and from the 4th season on, The Hogan Family.

I wonder if it holds some sort of records for most titles used for a single show.

Obi-Wanma 03-06-13 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 11603762)

It was.

They killed her off at the beginning of the third season and changed the name of the show to "Valerie's Family", and then again to "The Hogan Family" during summer re-runs before the 4th season.

Trevor 03-06-13 11:16 AM

Sad news. Always loved her in whatever sitcom I saw her in.

Double_Oh_7 03-06-13 01:05 PM

They should have done the full MTM Show reunion when they had the chance, even without Ted Knight. The Mary and Rhoda TV-movie debacle does not count.

Geofferson 03-06-13 08:10 PM

Sad news.

cungar 03-06-13 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 11604000)
They should have done the full MTM Show reunion when they had the chance, even without Ted Knight. The Mary and Rhoda TV-movie debacle does not count.

Would that really have added ANYTHING to the legacy of that show?

drmar35mm 03-07-13 03:54 PM

I still fondly remember all those Saturday nights when I didn't have a date (most of them, actually), watching the MTM Show and laughing my rear off. Valerie's Rhoda was such as key part of that great sitcom ensemble. I have 4 of the seasons on DVD and still just love the show; watch it regularly. It was a sad day when the show ended in '77. This, of course, is much sadder.

clckworang 03-07-13 07:58 PM

Brain cancer is pretty nasty. A friend's mom had a rare form of brain cancer, though I don't think it was the same type. Doctors gave her a similar life expectancy, something like 3-6 months. She ended up holding on for more than a year, but when it started to get really bad, it went downhill really quick. That was one of the difficult things I've ever seen.

Anyway, back on topic, this is very sad news. She was a very talented comic actress.

Terminal 03-07-13 08:23 PM

I hope it's a nice and peaceful departure. She's a very talented woman and I hope she has a happy remainder of her life.

SuperJim88 03-07-13 08:40 PM

What does Charlie, Alan & Jake think of this?

DJariya 07-18-19 12:14 PM

Still alive 6 years later. But she needs financial help for the expensive cancer treatments that aren't covered by her insurance. So her family has turned to crowd funding.

Some people are making some assumptions and disparaging comments online saying "It's she a multi-millionaire?" "How can she not afford it?" You know what, we don't know her financial situation. And she's not a star actress. I looked at her resume and she's been mostly doing 1-off guest spots and voice over work the last 30+ years. She's basically the definition of a working actress. She hasn't had a steady gig in well over 30+ years. And plus she's 79. Not many people her age get regular work. And cancer treatments will fucking drain your bank accounts and send some to bankruptcy.

https://people.com/tv/valerie-harper...ncer-expenses/

Valerie Harper‘s family is reaching out for financial help amid the actress’ fight for her life.

Harper’s husband Tony Cacciotti and her longtime friend Deanna created a GoFundMe page for the 79-year-old star last Monday in order to help with the costs of her expensive cancer treatments, PEOPLE confirms.

The iconic actress, best known for her role as Rhoda Morgenstern on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, has been battling leptomeningeal carcinomatosis since 2013.

The condition, which the star was diagnosed with just four years after she beat lung cancer in 2009, occurs when cancer cells spread into the fluid-filled membrane surrounding the brain, known as the meninges.

At the time, doctors told her she only had three months to live, but now, six years later, Harper is still continuing to receive daily treatments, which Deanna said has been “unrelenting,” “continuous” and not entirely covered under her health insurance.

“Valerie has been grateful over the years for the medical breakthroughs along this difficult journey but insurance doesn’t cover everything,” she wrote on the GoFundMe campaign. “There are unrelenting medical costs on a continuous basis.”

“Valerie is currently taking a multitude of medications and chemotherapy drugs as well as going through extreme physical and painful challenges now with around the clock, 24/7 care immediately needed which is not covered by insurance,” she continued. “This is just part of the daily cost that is without a doubt a financial burden that could never be met alone.”

“This GoFundMe initiative [is] from Tony to ensure she receives the best care possible,” Deanna added. “Your care and support is greatly appreciated.”

In a little over a week, the campaign has raised over $44,500 from Harper’s friends, family and beloved fans.

andicus 07-18-19 12:49 PM

I must say, the thread bump concerned me.

She looks and sounds amazing for 79.

Eric F 07-18-19 02:17 PM

Modern medical science is amazing. My friend's dad had stage 4 pancreatic cancer and now is in complete remission.

PerryD 07-18-19 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13580064)
Still alive 6 years later. But she needs financial help for the expensive cancer treatments that aren't covered by her insurance. So her family has turned to crowd funding.

Some people are making some assumptions and disparaging comments online saying "It's she a multi-millionaire?" "How can she not afford it?" You know what, we don't know her financial situation. And she's not a star actress. I looked at her resume and she's been mostly doing 1-off guest spots and voice over work the last 30+ years. She's basically the definition of a working actress. She hasn't had a steady gig in well over 30+ years. And plus she's 79. Not many people her age get regular work. And cancer treatments will fucking drain your bank accounts and send some to bankruptcy.

at age 79, she obviously would be using Medicare as her primary insurance source. Do they have caps on cancer treatments?

Double_Oh_7 07-18-19 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD (Post 13580168)
at age 79, she obviously would be using Medicare as her primary insurance source. Do they have caps on cancer treatments?

As a SAG member, wouldn't she get insurance through them?

DJariya 07-18-19 11:27 PM

yeah but her insurance probably has a limit on what they pay. Cancer treatment is outrageously expensive. and I assume she's probably doing a lot of non-FDA approved experimental treatments.

ytrez 07-19-19 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13580475)
yeah but her insurance probably has a limit on what they pay. Cancer treatment is outrageously expensive. and I assume she's probably doing a lot of non-FDA approved experimental treatments.

The clinical study should pay for experimental treatments. I'm guessing she's paying for some traditional treatment that isn't fully covered by her insurance.

I'm glad she found something that works and has been able to hold on for six years, my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer and was able to hold on through sheer will alone for three months before it took him.

TomOpus 07-19-19 11:17 AM

The GoFundMe account is up to $61k now. Hope it really helps out.

devilshalo 07-19-19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13580136)
Modern medical science is amazing. My friend's dad had stage 4 pancreatic cancer and now is in complete remission.

Your friend's dad is Alex Trebek? :jawdrop: