Reload this Page >

Dexter Season 8 to be its last

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter Season 8 to be its last

Old 05-05-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
Re: Dexter Season 8 to be its last

Yeah, it's never been a super serious series or anything like that but I do think that there is a noticeable drop off in quality after season four. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's cartoonish but the show has definitely always required a pretty big suspension of belief from the audience.

It seems to me around season five or six is when the show really started to lose something and got a bit too over the top at times and even though I enjoyed them they are somewhat disappointing. Like I said before I think if some of the ideas from those two seasons had been combined into one season we would have gotten a stronger seven seasons total. The show did seem to get back some of what was missing in season seven though and I think it can wrap up as a fairly strong series as long as season eight is at least as good.
Old 05-06-13, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah, it's never been a super serious series or anything like that but I do think that there is a noticeable drop off in quality after season four. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's cartoonish but the show has definitely always required a pretty big suspension of belief from the audience.

It seems to me around season five or six is when the show really started to lose something and got a bit too over the top at times and even though I enjoyed them they are somewhat disappointing. Like I said before I think if some of the ideas from those two seasons had been combined into one season we would have gotten a stronger seven seasons total. The show did seem to get back some of what was missing in season seven though and I think it can wrap up as a fairly strong series as long as season eight is at least as good.
That's pretty much what everyone thinks. The promos for this season definitely do give some hope that it will go out with a great season though.
Old 05-06-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Meh. I never get why people get so upset over product placement. I'd rather have real stuff on a show rather than just something stupid they make up. Plus for the scene they're in it's just part of the background anyways. Besides that I don't really remember that many times throughout Dexter where there's really been a lot of blatant product placement.
Agreed, with Dexter in particular I wished they had used product placement for the search engine and mobile phone texting.
Old 05-17-13, 02:30 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6ckzE5vT0wc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-17-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I was just about to post that. I have to say they're doing a damn good job of hyping this final season up. I haven't been this excited for a new season of Dexter since the end of season four.
Old 05-17-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Liked the trailer. Should be interesting to see Deb's fall into darkness.

The last 12 hours should make for a very engaging 3 months this summer. Better start re-subscribing to Showtime for those who only have it seasonally
Old 05-17-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Never had Showtime...but been able to watch it in real time thanks to various (free) "live feeds" on the web.

And that trailer looks great. Looks like Deb hits her bottom...
Old 05-17-13, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's something about the fourth season that seems to bring out the best in all writers. All the great shows seem to peak in Season 4: Dexter, Buffy, Mad Men, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Fringe, Lost. Hope the same is true for Game of Thrones.

That said, I felt like Dexter got its mojo back in Season 7. I think knowing the end point gives the writers a framework to write a great finish. I'm expecting great things from Season 8. Can't wait!
Old 05-18-13, 12:10 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Buffy peaked at Season 4? Umm.
Old 05-18-13, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Buffy peaked at Season 4? Umm.
Well, I liked the the long story arc, and Hush was one of my favorite episodes (second only to Once More With Feeling). But yeah, I know most people wouldn't pick 4 as their favorite. How about Angel Season 4?