DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Big Bang Theory -- "The Monster Isolation" -- 2/21/13 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/608897-big-bang-theory-monster-isolation-2-21-13-a.html)

SpanishTechno 02-22-13 03:25 PM

The Big Bang Theory -- "The Monster Isolation" -- 2/21/13

I didn't see a thread for this one. I thought it was a really good episode, the Sheldon and Penny stuff felt like classic BBT. Though at the end it felt a little out of character for Sheldon to be genuinely moved by Penny's performance.

Raj's girlfriend thing could be interesting.

Michael Corvin 02-22-13 03:31 PM

Re: The Big Bang Theory -- "The Monster Isolation" -- 2/21/13

I liked it for the most part. I thought Raj went overboard with the "I'm a nutjob" bit, but overall it's nice to finally see some progression with the character. Also nice to see actual progression with Penny's acting "career."

I LOVED the jab at Penny memorizing pages and pages of dialog yet can't get an order right as a waitress.

astrochimp 02-22-13 03:32 PM

BBT is never a chore to watch. Sheldon/Penny stuff is always pretty good.

Terminal 02-22-13 06:31 PM

Every aspect of the episode was top notch this week.

Loved all of the plots and every bit of conflict.

And I enjoyed penny's guest spot on Fun with Flags.

Coral 02-22-13 06:34 PM

It's good to finally have Raj start something with a chick. I was getting tired of the whole lonely/desperate angle. Maybe he'll progress to finally losing his alcohol dependency to talk to women - at least some women.

Is this the first time we've seen Penny in an acting gig? It's so easy to forget she's trying to be an actress since it's not talked about much and we never see her doing anything expect working at the Cheesecake Factory. Hopefully this progresses to something further in her career. I suspect it will as they had her come across as very talented.

Vipper II 02-22-13 07:04 PM

I loved Sheldon's attempts to come across as more relaxed on Fun With Flags.

tasha99 02-22-13 07:47 PM

Best Fun with Flags ever. Sheldon's relaxed posture was hilariously creepy and awkward. I also loved the line about his "robotic performance" not being the compliment it sounds like. :lol:

It would be interesting to find out what "moved" Sheldon so much during Penny's performance. He would have no idea if she were emotionally authentic or not. Maybe it really was just about her remembering her lines.

fumanstan 02-22-13 08:05 PM

I liked Sheldon getting thrown off by not knocking on Penny's door.

Raul3 02-22-13 08:43 PM

They should release Fun with Flags in Youtube.

Charlie Goose 02-22-13 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 11589891)
Is this the first time we've seen Penny in an acting gig?

She was in a commercial for 'roid cream. And didn't she play a murder victim on some crime show, or did she lose that to a hotter chick?

Coral 02-22-13 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 11590051)
She was in a commercial for 'roid cream. And didn't she play a murder victim on some crime show, or did she lose that to a hotter chick?

I don't remember those. Did they show her working on them or were they just mentioned?

I forgot about this line... "spread your legs... invite them in" :lol:

resinrats 02-22-13 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 11590051)

Unless it is in an episode I haven't seen, that was another girl. She played a hooker killed on CSI. She rented the apartment above Sheldon & the guys were doing everything for her. Sheldon didn't want her up there because she'd make noise.

Terminal 02-22-13 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 11589891)
It's good to finally have Raj start something with a chick. I was getting tired of the whole lonely/desperate angle. Maybe he'll progress to finally losing his alcohol dependency to talk to women - at least some women.

Is this the first time we've seen Penny in an acting gig? It's so easy to forget she's trying to be an actress since it's not talked about much and we never see her doing anything expect working at the Cheesecake Factory. Hopefully this progresses to something further in her career. I suspect it will as they had her come across as very talented.

Same, I'm enjoying them progressing the characters further. With "Friends" seeing Joey fail to be an actual actor for eight years became pathetic, so it's good to see Penny somewhat elevated and reveal she's a very decent and somewhat under appreciated actress.

As for Raj, I like Kate Micucci and can't wait to see how she fits in to the cast. The female counterparts to the guys have been wonderful so far.

Terminal 02-22-13 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by resinrats (Post 11590113)
Unless it is in an episode I haven't seen, that was another girl. She played a hooker killed on CSI. She rented the apartment above Sheldon & the guys were doing everything for her. Sheldon didn't want her up there because she'd make noise.

That was the episode "The Dead Hooker Juxtaposition" with actress Valerie Azlynn who was smoking hot.

Shamus McAnally 02-22-13 11:55 PM

I found the Penny storyline kind of funny. I mean, I know there aren't enough jobs out there for actors and everyone won't make it on the grandest scale, and they are in CA, but if she's such a good actor, I would think she would at least get periodic work. I mean, it's not like they even make mention of such things. But, whatever. At least they are starting to acknowledge that part of her character and make some kind of progress.

I like the Sheldon progress, but it's sort of frustrating how he goes from week to week, progressing to typical Sheldon back to progressing for a few weeks in a row back to typical Sheldon. I know it's not all going to show up at once or it won't all be straight progression, but it seems much more roller coaster-ish, though as long as he's been "typical" Sheldon, I wouldn't expect rapid progress.

That said, still a very good episode. BBT doesn't have much downtime and even when it does, it's usually much better than most things on TV.

Terminal 02-22-13 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally (Post 11590126)
I found the Penny storyline kind of funny. I mean, I know there aren't enough jobs out there for actors and everyone won't make it on the grandest scale, and they are in CA, but if she's such a good actor, I would think she would at least get periodic work. I mean, it's not like they even make mention of such things. But, whatever. At least they are starting to acknowledge that part of her character and make some kind of progress.

She makes brief mention in the episode where she gives Sheldon and Leonard their own Star Trek transporters that she bought them with residual checks. I imagine those transporters cost a pretty penny.

Shamus McAnally 02-23-13 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Terminal (Post 11590129)
She makes brief mention in the episode where she gives Sheldon and Leonard their own Star Trek transporters that she bought them with residual checks. I imagine those transporters cost a pretty penny.

TOTALLY forgot about that. I certainly don't have an encyclopedic memory of things in the show, as much as I watch the reruns, but I would hope that, being as good as they make her out to be, that that one line wasn't the crux of our belief that she was working. Anyway, it doesn't really matter, provided they continue to progress things, hopefully a little more openly for my liking.

Double_Oh_7 02-23-13 08:08 AM

For a moment there in the last scene it looked like they were going to have Sheldon fall in love with Penny because of her performance.

Astrofan 02-24-13 09:32 PM

Little weak with not enough comedy for Leonard. He really is becoming the straight man who reacts. Amy kills as always.

mnementh 02-25-13 05:46 AM

I'm surprised that Sheldon wasn't enough of a know-it-all to have been a little familiar with A Streetcar Named Desire.

Jimmy James 02-25-13 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by mnementh (Post 11592506)
I'm surprised that Sheldon wasn't enough of a know-it-all to have been a little familiar with A Streetcar Named Desire.

I don't think they have ever established that sort of character trait with him. He's the dismissive of your fandom geek, not the know everything geek.

bjh_18 02-25-13 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 11590061)
I don't remember those. Did they show her working on them or were they just mentioned?

I forgot about this line... "spread your legs... invite them in" :lol:

They showed the actual commercial for the hemorrhoid cream.