TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Girls -- "One Man's Trash" -- 2/10/13

Old 02-10-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Girls -- "One Man's Trash" -- 2/10/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Even Hannah is surprised when she's attracted to a fortysomething doctor and his life of unspectacular stability.

Episode 5 of 10

Promo:

<iframe src="http://www.hbo.com/data/content/global/videos/embed/data/1297715.html?height=288&width=512" height="288" width="512" style="overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" seamless="seamless" frameborder="0" type="text/html"></iframe>
Old 02-10-13, 09:14 PM

Received 4,556 Likes on 3,091 Posts
Re: Girls -- "One Man's Trash" -- 2/10/13

Yea right. That was the most self indulgent shit I've ever seen.

Last edited by dex14; 02-10-13 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-10-13, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This is definitely going to be a divisive episode but I'll jump on the pro- side, for now. I liked the tonal shift, I liked he focus on just Hannah, and I hope that this sets up something later in the season. Although, for a comedy, this was the least jokey episode yet (on purpose).
Old 02-10-13, 10:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What a nose dive after the great episode last week. Maybe it will connect in some way in the following shows but as a stand alone episode it just did nothing for me (and i have always liked Wilson too, sucks he was stuck with a lame-o story).

This has seriously got to be a massive fuck you to everyone who bashed her in season one for Lena to be showing her tits in every episode.
Old 02-11-13, 12:23 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yea right. That was the most self indulgent shit I've ever seen.
What was self indulgent? The fact that she chose a handsome guy to make love to and play house with in an amazing home? Or that the whole episode was based on her?

I thought it was fantastic and I loved seeing her come to her big revelation. Deep down every hipster 20 something out there trying to change the world really just wants to be middle class and have nice things in their life like everyone else.

Hopefully we see kind of growth come for her character from this experience. I love the fact that it was self contained and only featured her and showed a side of NY that was nothing like what we have seen in the other episodes but obviously coexists right around the corner.

Love the whole trash metaphor too...great writing...
Old 02-11-13, 12:59 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not the worst episode, but far from the best. I hate that Girls has basically become the Hannah show (and Dunham has become Ms. Narcissist). There are too many great characters that exist in that world that I would love to get updates on. The best character on the show, Adam, has been completely wasted. The actors that portray those characters have also been shafted. Instead we get guest appearances from Dunham's vag.
Old 02-11-13, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll agree that while it wasn't a completely terrible bottle episode, Dunham has really taken over the show. S1 felt like a fun party with she & her friends; S2 feels like the hangover.
Old 02-11-13, 01:30 AM
Banned

Dunham is a disgusting whale.
Old 02-11-13, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this was an intersting episode to say the least. as mentioned above, this will be a divisive episode. i found it to be quite depressing as a whole but in a good way. i like that it started off as some sort of dream and then turned into a nightmare with hannah breaking down. both self-indulgent and self-deprecating. i'm sure i'll watch it 3 times before next week.

p.s. looks like adam returns next week!

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 02-11-13 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-11-13, 10:54 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

I liked it, at 15min into the episode I realised there it was a hannah only episode. It felt like a dream sequence. And as bluesix mentions above, It's where Hannah realised that being a full time hipster is not all it's cracked up to be.

I'm really curious to see if it changes the shift or tone of the show now - Obviously we aren't going to see it turn into Sex and the City.
Old 02-11-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

The season is half way over, shoouldn't HBO stop calling it "The New Season" by now?
Old 02-11-13, 11:06 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
What was self indulgent? The fact that she chose a handsome guy to make love to and play house with in an amazing home? Or that the whole episode was based on her?

I thought it was fantastic and I loved seeing her come to her big revelation. Deep down every hipster 20 something out there trying to change the world really just wants to be middle class and have nice things in their life like everyone else.

Hopefully we see kind of growth come for her character from this experience. I love the fact that it was self contained and only featured her and showed a side of NY that was nothing like what we have seen in the other episodes but obviously coexists right around the corner.

Love the whole trash metaphor too...great writing...
To me it was the fact that she 'could' hook up with a good looking guy.

This show to me was all about realism, and I never had a problem with a girl like Hannah hooking up with guys like Adam or other average (or well below average guys). But now you have an episode where a girl like her knocks on some strangers door, out pops a great looking guy, and they spend the next two days hooking up?
It just seems like a big F U to everyone, saying that ugly whales can get love from models as well. So if that's not self indulgence, Im not sure what is.
Old 02-11-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The season is half way over, shoouldn't HBO stop calling it "The New Season" by now?
The entire season is new until they've aired them all.
Old 02-11-13, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Kennyx
To me it was the fact that she 'could' hook up with a good looking guy.

This show to me was all about realism, and I never had a problem with a girl like Hannah hooking up with guys like Adam or other average (or well below average guys). But now you have an episode where a girl like her knocks on some strangers door, out pops a great looking guy, and they spend the next two days hooking up?
It just seems like a big F U to everyone, saying that ugly whales can get love from models as well. So if that's not self indulgence, Im not sure what is.
Pretty much. Donald Glover wasn't even a huge stretch for me. But this was pretty ridiculous. The whole scenario was ludicrous. It bothers me even more when SHE is the one writing this for herself.

A quote from an article I read:
Engber: My least favorite part: the moment where Joshua strokes Hannah’s hair and asks, “What is it, sweetie?” But really, the whole thing left me baffled and uncomfortable. Why are these people having sex, when they are so clearly mismatched—in style, in looks, in manners, in age, in everything? Why is he kissing her and begging her to stay over? Seriously, Dave—why?

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/t...d_by_guys.html
Old 02-11-13, 12:23 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Gah, some of you people are so shallow....

Maybe he was just lonely. Maybe it had been a while since he had the touch of a woman. Maybe he just had needs that he didn't realize he had until she walked in and gave herself so willingly to him.

I have a friend who is 42 and is currently seeing a 24 year old that while not fugly, is a big step down from his stunningly gorgeous ex-wife. It happens. Sometime for a night, sometimes for a while, and sometimes forever.
Old 02-11-13, 12:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Toonview

Maybe he was just lonely. Maybe it had been a while since he had the touch of a woman. Maybe he just had needs that he didn't realize he had until she walked in and gave herself so willingly to him.

I have a friend who is 42 and is currently seeing a 24 year old that while not fugly, is a big step down from his stunningly gorgeous ex-wife. It happens. Sometime for a night, sometimes for a while, and sometimes forever.
I realize that, and these things do happen in real life. And if they made it seem like that during the episode, I would agree, but I just didnt feel that's the route that was taken last night.

the fact that it's her show, that she wrote, and the fact that she's basically been finding an excuse to go nude every episode almost seems like she's trying to glorify herself every single week.
Old 02-11-13, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Toonview

Valid points. But are standards thrown out the window? Do you think you would just bang some big boned hipster who admitted to throwing trash away in your garbage, within 10 minutes of meeting her? Would you beg her to stay the weekend and not leave? It's not like they had some major connection.

Last edited by dex14; 02-11-13 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-11-13, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kennyx
I realize that, and these things do happen in real life. And if they made it seem like that during the episode, I would agree, but I just didnt feel that's the route that was taken last night.

the fact that it's her show, that she wrote, and the fact that she's basically been finding an excuse to go nude every episode almost seems like she's trying to glorify herself every single week.
Agreed. I think the fact that she is writing these ridiculous scenarios for herself is what is bothering me most.

I like the show...but she needs to not focus entirely on herself.
Old 02-11-13, 12:52 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Valid points. But are standards thrown out the window? Do you think you would bang some big boned hipster who admitted to throwing trash away in your garbage, within 10 minutes of meeting her? Would you beg her to stay the weekend and not leave? It's not like they had some major connection.
Not to mention that he is a doctor that's so enamored with Hannah that he takes off from his job. Yeah right.
Old 02-11-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Maybe's he just a podiatrist. That could add back a shred of credibility in an otherwise incredible scenario.
Old 02-11-13, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Meh episode. I'm glad she tried it though. Even with Louie, sometimes he hits a bulls-eye, and sometimes he misses with these sort of episodes. When it works, it can work really well.

But she is new to this, really really new, so I'll chalk it up to a learning curve move for next time. She had all the pieces right, she just needed to weave them together (or differently?) a bit more.
Old 02-11-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IIG
Not to mention that he is a doctor that's so enamored with Hannah that he takes off from his job. Yeah right.
Not every doctor is a ER doctor. Maybe he's doing research, or maybe he's part of a clinic where he has guys there to cover for him? Or, since his ex always complained about his job coming first, he wanted to not do that again.
Old 02-11-13, 01:16 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fact that she's overweight and otherwise not really attractive isn't what bugs me about her...it's that she dresses like a fucking idiot and has a very unlikeable and grating personality.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Maybe's he just a podiatrist. That could add back a shred of credibility in an otherwise incredible scenario.
Old 02-11-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 585 Posts

Nobody complains when Bobcat Goldthwait bangs some hot chic and he is not the most attractive guy lol.

Kind of like when Tina Fey picks James Marsden as her love interest for 30 Rock when she is the creator of the show.

I don't understand why people expect to see nude Victoria Secret models and are missing the entire point of this series though it was funny she went topless to play table tennis.

That speech where she says she takes shits for everybody and just wants to be happy was moving.
Old 02-11-13, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

it's that she dresses like a fucking idiot and has a very unlikeable and grating personality.
Gold star for you, sir!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.