Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Girls -- "One Man's Trash" -- 2/10/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Girls -- "One Man's Trash" -- 2/10/13

Old 02-13-13, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Girls -- "One Man's Trash" -- 2/10/13

It's pretty sad that Lena Dunham needs to work out her terrible insecurities on television. Get some therapy instead!

No-one would expose themselves the way she does if she wasn't so terribly unhappy with herself, and her body.
Old 02-13-13, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You might not know her well enough to offer a valid remote diagnosis based on a TV show.
Old 02-14-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really liked it.
Old 02-14-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 509 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
You might not know her well enough to offer a valid remote diagnosis based on a TV show.
Indeed.
Old 02-14-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 524 Likes on 319 Posts

The sheer amount of venom this episode has engendered Good for Dunham. She knows what she's doing
Old 02-14-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,280 Likes on 2,187 Posts

Wasn't one of my favorite episodes, but I liked the idea of trying a "what if" scenario without resorting to a tired dream sequence. She saw what an alternate version of her life could be like and concluded it was not for her. I can respect that, even if the episode wasn't even a little funny.

Hey, anyone else remember when the narrative of these articles about Lena Dunham was about how brave she was for doing nude scenes? How about being brave enough to not appear nude for an entire episode at least once this season?
Old 02-14-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope Lena Dunham gains all kinds of weight and walks around even more naked so that some of you can die from brain aneurysms.
Old 02-14-13, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield View Post
I hope Lena Dunham gains all kinds of weight and walks around even more naked so that some of you can die from brain aneurysms.
Old 02-14-13, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
I once played nude ping pong with her, so I'd take back what you just said.
Old 02-16-13, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Worse episode of the series and of all the television history i've seen. Yes worse than season 2 of heroes
Old 02-16-13, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy View Post
I have to think Lena is a genius.. This episode has generated a ton of articles and discussion, and as such viewership will likely increase.
This was the first episode my dad saw of Girls and is now completely turned off from watching any other episode. Good luck getting new viewership if this is their first introduction to the series.
Old 02-16-13, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by siddd5 View Post
It's pretty sad that Lena Dunham needs to work out her terrible insecurities on television. Get some therapy instead!

No-one would expose themselves the way she does if she wasn't so terribly unhappy with herself, and her body.
Give her a break. She's just celebrating her role in winning the last election.

Good luck to the Chief of Staff trying to keep her from whipping off her clothes on the official visit.

All of her offensives detailed in this thread will be worth it when she gets Deadwood reinstated for its concluding season. Surely she can get the POTUS to order that.
Old 02-16-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

Full disclosure: I have not seen this episode. I saw the first episode of the series and one episode from the current season.

I'm sure I'm just getting old, but I don't understand the appeal of this show at all. Can someone tell me what's good about it? Does it appeal primarily to twenty-somethings? Help me out.
Old 02-16-13, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mike7162 View Post
I love the reaction this show is getting. This episode was fucking brilliant. Lena Dunham has the smallest tits and the biggest balls in Hollywood.
Agreed...I absolutely loved this episode.
Old 02-16-13, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Full disclosure: I have not seen this episode. I saw the first episode of the series and one episode from the current season.

I'm sure I'm just getting old, but I don't understand the appeal of this show at all. Can someone tell me what's good about it? Does it appeal primarily to twenty-somethings? Help me out.
It's crap. Don't bother.
Old 02-18-13, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
The sheer amount of venom this episode has engendered Good for Dunham. She knows what she's doing
She sure does. She has parlayed a lack of comic writing skills combined with zero acting ability into a gold mine, awards, hookups with handsome men, and a stage for exposing her tats.

Next stop...politics!!!
Old 02-18-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We've come such a long way since the 70's.. my GOODNESS are people fuckin' prudes now. It's like the 50's again these days. Unless it's plasticized American Pie nudity (the equivalent of 50's-era Playboy), everybody gets all icked out.

Somehow when Woody Allen or Vincent van Gogh let it all hang out, it's considered wonderful, but when a tubby chick does it everyone wants her to disappear. Artists have issues. Always been that way, always will be.

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post

The appeal? Oh, just brilliant writing, hilarious scenes, and constant unpredictability. I don't remember the last time I watched a show and honestly COULD NOT predict anything that was going to happen next. It's a treasure for that reason alone. Of course you don't get the appeal: you don't watch it. Has nothing to do with age, as I'm getting old too. Series these days are more like novels. What you did here was read the first few pages, then skipped to the middle and read a few more pages.. you're not gonna get it that way.
Old 02-18-13, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
This was the first episode my dad saw of Girls and is now completely turned off from watching any other episode. Good luck getting new viewership if this is their first introduction to the series.
C'mon, this is HBO. Dunham should be allowed to take risks without worrying about someone who decides to tune in for the first time in the middle of the second season.

And to people crying self-indulgence: writing and directing a show that you star in is inherently self-indulgent. And I didn't think the hook up was extremely far-fetched by TV drama standards. If Dunham was just interested in making herself look good there are much better ways to do it than what we saw.
Old 02-19-13, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by lamphorn View Post
The appeal? Oh, just brilliant writing, hilarious scenes, and constant unpredictability. I don't remember the last time I watched a show and honestly COULD NOT predict anything that was going to happen next. It's a treasure for that reason alone. Of course you don't get the appeal: you don't watch it. Has nothing to do with age, as I'm getting old too. Series these days are more like novels. What you did here was read the first few pages, then skipped to the middle and read a few more pages.. you're not gonna get it that way.
What a tremendous amount of bullshit hyperbole. You know what was hysterical about this last episode? That horrendous "breakdown" by Allison Williams' character. I've never seen worse fake crying in my life. How could anyone standing there watching that scene unfold think they could just wrap and go home for the day?
Old 02-19-13, 05:19 PM

Allison Williams would normally qualify to be a PA on the local West Palm Beach 11 O'Clock News, but she's got a famous daddy who knows untalented filmmakers.
Old 02-19-13, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RUSF18 View Post
What a tremendous amount of bullshit hyperbole. You know what was hysterical about this last episode? That horrendous "breakdown" by Allison Williams' character. I've never seen worse fake crying in my life. How could anyone standing there watching that scene unfold think they could just wrap and go home for the day?
Yeah, I'm bullshitting when I give my opinion of a TV show. That's real reasonable, as opposed to maybe you just have a different opinion.

Last edited by lamphorn; 02-19-13 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-20-13, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Allison Williams would normally qualify to be a PA on the local West Palm Beach 11 O'Clock News, but she's got a famous daddy who knows untalented filmmakers.
Dude, get over it. Sad that you take the time out of your day to spew hate.
Old 02-20-13, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by conscience View Post
Dude, get over it. Sad that you take the time out of your day to spew hate.
There's luck. There's talent. Then there's connections.

Don't tell me Brian Williams & David Mamet's daughters got the gig because of some unique, special talent.

Not spewing hate, just stating the obvious.
Old 02-20-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's luck. There's talent. Then there's connections.

Don't tell me Brian Williams & David Mamet's daughters got the gig because of some unique, special talent.

Not spewing hate, just stating the obvious.
You're not wrong, but this is epidemic in the entirety of show business, not just this one TV show.