DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Auction Hunters... now own a Pawn Shop. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/608393-auction-hunters-now-own-pawn-shop.html)

JZ1276 02-01-13 02:28 AM

Auction Hunters... now own a Pawn Shop.

Anyone watch this one? It used to be (IMO) one of the better, less scripted reality shows about buying and selling obscure items.
Needless to say, it got more & more scripted and now the new season started and it's barely watchable anymore. Half of the show takes place with the guys at the auctions and the other half takes place in the new shop they just acquired (with an annoying fat woman called "Big Sis" running things while the guys are out). Anyway, looks like this show is now taking the same route as Pawn Stars.

Me007gold 02-01-13 02:49 AM

Re: Auction Hunters... now own a Pawn Shop.

That show has been completely fake and scripted since the first show. Not a single aspect of that show has ever been legitimate. They never lose on anything they buy. Sure its possible they have been "reenactments of actual events" but no body wins 100% of the time in that game.

ytrez 02-01-13 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276 (Post 11561438)
Anyone watch this one? It used to be (IMO) one of the better, less scripted reality shows about buying and selling obscure items.

This always seemed, to me, one of the most scripted of these types of shows out there. If I have to watch "Auction" something, I'll stick to Auction Kings, that auction house down in Atlanta, because at least the auctions seem real.

Gizmo 02-01-13 09:46 AM

Noticed this as well. Took a while to realize Sis was a girl and not a guy.

Another show that will likely get dumped if this shit continues.

TheMovieman 02-01-13 10:25 AM

Ok, which show is Auction Hunters again? Is that the one with Jake and the Fatman? If so, yeah, so scripted and hard to watch because there is no "suspense" (such as it is) since they always make a profit. As staged as Storage Wars has been, at least there's a chance one of them will lose on the locker.

DeanoBKN 02-01-13 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Me007gold (Post 11561442)
That show has been completely fake and scripted since the first show. Not a single aspect of that show has ever been legitimate. They never lose on anything they buy. Sure its possible they have been "reenactments of actual events" but no body wins 100% of the time in that game.

I stopped watching this show months ago, because I found the guys completely unlikable, and it was 100% scripted. In fact I think they warn you of this in the opening or closing credits.

They win a locker, it turns out to be filled with tons of vintage and historical treasures, they go to a re-seller, and successfully haggle to they reach a price they want.

They never lose, so there is no drama.

TheBigDave 02-01-13 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ytrez (Post 11561498)
If I have to watch "Auction" something, I'll stick to Auction Kings, that auction house down in Atlanta, because at least the auctions seem real.

That's a good show. I've been catching up with older episodes on Netflix.

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Auct...5?trkid=496624

madcougar 02-01-13 02:41 PM

This is my favorite of the "storage locker" shows. I don't know how much fun it would be watch them buy a locker full of old clothes. Anyone who thinks that ANY "reality" show isn't somewhat scripted or influenced by the creators is an idiot.

Jacoby Ellsbury 02-01-13 03:43 PM

Did Haf get some cosmetic surgery around his eyes? He looked different

devilshalo 02-01-13 08:00 PM

They need to bring that blonde hottie Carolyn back. And I know these are recreations of their best haul. I'm still interested in how many of those they come across vs how much trash they pick up.

JZ1276 02-02-13 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by madcougar (Post 11562102)
This is my favorite of the "storage locker" shows. I don't know how much fun it would be watch them buy a locker full of old clothes. Anyone who thinks that ANY "reality" show isn't somewhat scripted or influenced by the creators is an idiot.

This show started out 'somewhat scripted' for the first few seasons. Now I think it is completely scripted.

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 11562549)
They need to bring that blonde hottie Carolyn back.

Agreed. She was smokin.

Jason 02-02-13 08:03 AM

Nice. Maybe they can start building custom motorcycles next.

Or start looking for Sasquatch.

madcougar 02-04-13 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jason (Post 11562828)
Nice. Maybe they can start building custom motorcycles next.

Or start looking for Sasquatch.

Jason. Threadcrapping since 1999.

With that said... :lol:

Gizmo 02-10-13 01:55 PM

Apparently the "shop" is in Playa Del Ray and...it's not a real store:
http://storageauctionforums.com/stor...ton-pawn-shop/

Just went by there today. No signs outside, but a peek inside reveals the stuff on the show. Just a storefront prop. Shame on you guys!
Awesome.

madcougar 02-25-14 01:56 PM

Is it just me or does Big Sis look EXACTLY like an adult version of Manny from Modern Family?

PhantomStranger 02-25-14 04:32 PM

Yeah, most everything about this show seemed faker than fake. I found the show that runs after it about thrift store resellers a much more interesting show. Those guys seem pretty honest about their business, though I think they are inflating their Ebay profit margins a bit for television.

lewisb73 02-26-14 09:08 AM

I put this show on the more unrealistic "reality" shows, but for some reason still watch... i do love how they try throwing in a curveball here and there now to break up the monotony of... BUY locker, generally right around or at the limit set... quadruple the money spent on it with the treasures inside... rinse repeat

I am all for more Carolyn too.. DAMN she is hot