House of Cards (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - Available 2/1/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

House of Cards (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - Available 2/1/13

Old 07-14-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: House of Cards -- "Chapters 11-13" -- On Netflix

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Finished off the episodes and man, it was pretty great up until the murder of Russo. Then it felt cliched. The only thing being the guessing game of who is playing who in order for Underwood to get into the VP seat.
I agree with this.

Just finished it up, and was disappointed with the turn of franks character into a cold blooded killer. I preferred him being the man behind the man, but it turned me off with him getting his hands dirty like that..

That beings said , enjoyed the series a lot, and looking forward to the next season... I do miss Russo though, thought he was a great character...

Last edited by mphtrilogy; 07-14-13 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-14-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 506 Likes on 353 Posts

Decent show - but I agree about the turn near the end there. Wouldn't there be cameras set up in the underground parking area of a higher end hotel or condo? Is Underwood assuming there wouldn't be?

This show feels like a more realistic "Boss" - whereas "Boss" went way over the top with how criminal the Mayor was.
Old 09-16-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: House of Cards (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - Available 2/1/13

Ok, thanks again for the people that voted in my poll for me to binge watch this show. Two episodes in and I'm loving it. I thought BOSS was a good political show, but this one has it beat. Kevin Spacey's accent is a bit much, but it's the only quibble I have currently. Robin Wright Penn's character is cold-blooded. Love to watch shows with a long play gambit unfold.
Old 09-20-13, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank everyone that voted in my poll about what to binge watch. Loved this show. The cast was great and only saw the Lucas character as a weak link. Almost seemed unnecessary. Now to start The Americans.
Old 12-04-13, 10:40 AM

Received 3,444 Likes on 2,335 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1lc6QzxTeZM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-23-13, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: House of Cards -- "Chapters 4-6" -- On Netflix

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I want to say episode 3? Spacey's character is a gamer. Pretty neat little characteristic they created for his character.
LOL ... they created it for product placement (seems this show reeks of it and is likely funded by a great deal of it)

that said I've just started watching and have made it through episode 6
and have found it pretty enjoyable
Old 12-23-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 313 Likes on 223 Posts
Re: House of Cards -- "Chapters 4-6" -- On Netflix

Does anyone lose think Russo looks like if Paul Scheer had a baby with Tobey McGuire?
Old 07-28-14, 12:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
VP slot is only going to be a stepping stone to get inside the executive branch. But I'm wondering how long can Frank's lucky breaks be believably maintained? There's only so many leaps a storyline can make before the audience looks down to find there's no ground underneath.

Mounting offenses:

MILD : Waiting for shooting of a city kid during school hours to shift pressure against the teacher's strike.
WARMING UP : Relying on the union organizer losing his cool and assaulting Frank to gain leverage and end the strike.
BOILING : Driving Russo back to the parking garage, turning on engine, and leaving him in the passenger's seat!
I finished Season 1 this weekend and agree with you 100%

I love watching this show, but some of these 'leaps' and 'lucky breaks' are cringe worthy.

I have to admit that thinking a VP would step down to become a Governor again was the biggest leap for me. I could maybe buy it if Frank had some dirt on the VP.
Old 09-19-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 638 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ. View Post
I finished Season 1 this weekend and agree with you 100%

I love watching this show, but some of these 'leaps' and 'lucky breaks' are cringe worthy.

I have to admit that thinking a VP would step down to become a Governor again was the biggest leap for me. I could maybe buy it if Frank had some dirt on the VP.
Just finished season 1 and I didn't have a problem with the VP wanting out. He made it pretty clear that he felt useless in the role, earlier on. The Governor position gives him purpose again, so it's a convenient excuse to get out.

I was really surprised about the passenger seat for Russo not being a big deal for the investigation. Can't imagine any way something like that would get overlooked.

Sad to see Zoe gone, but happy to see (Season 2 spoiler):

Spoiler:
Molly Parker joining the cast.

Can't wait to watch the rest!
Old 03-03-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I just finished Season 1 on BluRay, and I thought it was good but not great. The acting is top notch, as Spacey is perfect for the role. I'm a political junkie, so this show is right up my alley, but it just didn't grab me like the great shows did where I couldn't wait to watch the next episode.

First, I don't like Spacey talking to the audience, because that always struck me as the creators thinking the audience isn't smart enough to figure out what is going on. I think it would have worked in the first episode just to set things up, but when he talks to camera it takes me right out of the scene.

Secondly, I hate shows where there is not one redeeming main character, as this show has a full cast of unlikeable characters. I know that is the whole point of the show is to show how corrupt Washington is, but I wish that one of the characters I could root for once in a while.

I'm debating whether to watch Season 2, as I'm curious to see where it goes, but again, I am not obsessively waiting for the next season like I do with Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.
Old 03-03-15, 03:15 PM

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
We still have a whole second season. I think it's fair to say we've only seen the first part of Underwood's plan.
Pretty good call almost 2 years ago.