Reload this Page >

House of Cards (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - Available 2/1/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

House of Cards (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - Available 2/1/13

Old 02-06-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: House of Cards -- "Chapter 2-3" -- On Netflix

As someone who lives only 45 minutes from Gaffney (and has driven past that thing hundreds of times), episode 3 was hilarious.
Old 02-06-13, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
Re: House of Cards -- "Chapters 4-6" -- On Netflix

Where's the thread for eps. 2 and 3?
Old 02-06-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Here
Old 02-06-13, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: House of Cards -- "Chapters 7-10" -- On Netflix

Just finished 9, man this is nuts. I was reading about Netflix's data collection the other day, and how they can tell pretty much everything about streaming habits, when people pause for specific shows, (and thus see if lots of people pause at a specific moment)and if those moments can coincide with boring parts, fast forwarding, rewinding, how much they see, what time of day, on what device, and probably a ton more, and how they can potentially use that data to craft a show with the beats to fit the respective audiences.

Wondering what % of people saw this series, and how many of them marathoned through it.
Old 02-06-13, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Two questions:

1) What was the significance of Claire seeing the older woman at the Starbuck's, or the one in the cemetery for that matter?

2) How was Frank to blame for the girl's death in any way? The peach might have looked suggestive , but the bottomline is she was texting and driving, which means you are taking your life into your own hands.

Overall, this is a great series. Only problem I have is how much nepotism is evidenced in the entertainment industry by so many actors having worked with Fincher in the past. There is no way Kate Mara is in this if her younger sister hadn't played a role for Fincher in the past.
Spacey owns all of his scenes, he's so great at these roles.
Old 02-06-13, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Two questions:

2) How was Frank to blame for the girl's death in any way? The peach might have looked suggestive , but the bottomline is she was texting and driving, which means you are taking your life into your own hands.
Because it's Amurica.
Old 02-06-13, 05:46 PM

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

The old woman at Starbuck's was Claire's glimpse into the future of her fired office manager. I didn't get the cemetery stuff though.

And Frank wasn't to blame for the peach thing...but it's all about perception. He does have to get re-elected every two years, and releasing a statement saying "Your dead daughter was a dumb ass" is not the way to do that.
Old 02-06-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 767 Likes on 622 Posts

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-cards/168044/

Netflix released the entire 13 episode season of its original series House of Cards on Friday. Though the streaming service is choosing not to release any viewership data, making it impossible to determine the "ratings" for the on-line series, Procera Networks, which monitors web traffic for several major ISPs, reports that the majority of House of Cards viewers watched more than one episode of the show. One one broadband network, a full 2 percent of Netflix subscribers watched episode 1, while 1.3% watched episode two. Interestingly, episodes 10-12 (0.53%, 0.48% and 0.52%) were watched by a smaller percentage of subscribers than episode 13 (0.59%).

Obviously, Procera only has information on a sampling of Netflix subscribers (and it may be a less representative sample than Nielsen uses for television ratings), but this does provide some information about the series. Draw your own conclusion about whether or not it was good idea for Netflix to release the entire season at once.
Going off Procera's ratings which doesn't account for everyone on Netflix: It was released on Friday. Over the weekend roughly 560,000 people watched the first episode according to those stats, 370,000 watching the second episode. It's suggested at least 139,000 watched all 13 episodes over the weekend.

Funny there were substantially more that watched episode 13 than 10, 11 or 12. I guess some people like skipping to the end of books.

Netflix uses roughly 33% of all internet bandwidth in the US and apparently it spiked a bit over the weekend.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-06-13 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-06-13, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: House of Cards -- "Chapters 11-13" -- On Netflix

Yeah I didn't think I'd go through it so fast, but man that was great. Every storyline held my attention, and it's always good to have Reg E. Cathey on board.

Spacey's voice throughout the series reminded me of Al Swearengen a lot.
Old 02-07-13, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tonight I was watching a couple more episodes and only just noticed that Kate Mara and Rooney Mara are sisters. They look nothing a like but have some of the similar mannerisms.
Old 02-07-13, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 767 Likes on 622 Posts

Yeah, I've always been curious about how much money trickled down to their part of the family with the whole Steelers/Giants things.
Old 02-07-13, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
re: House of Cards (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - Available 2/1/13

Simon Pegg, asked by a reporter yesterday if he'll end up in JJ Abram's Star Wars 7...

''I haven't seen the script and I don't know anything about it, so I couldn't possibly comment on that.''

Old 02-08-13, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lmao at episode 3 with the peach. I always laugh when I pass that thing headed to the Charlotte airport.

Good show. Still wondering how the wife's plot line fits into the fold. And I really love the score used.
Old 02-08-13, 12:52 PM

I'm going to give this series a try, I want to like it, but 15-20 minutes into the first episode, and it occurred to me that Kevin Spacey's accent sounds more like Dean Martin than a southern politician. I'm not sure I can keep a straight face while watching the rest of it now!
Old 02-08-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Just finished the series and I have to say I ended up loving it. Even though you knew everything that had happened, it was still tense watching the characters figure things out in the last couple of episodes. The 2nd season should be great and I can't wait for it.
Old 02-09-13, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the story with Tusk was unnecessary but I imagine it will lead to more next season.

I was not expecting everything to unravel so much. I like seeing the three of them work together.

I will miss this series deeply.
Old 02-09-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The wife and I finally started watching today. 3 episodes in row, in a break right now.

I like the show, should won a few awards and stuff, but don't think it's the best in a long time. The writing is really good, acting is fine, but Kevin Spacey is basically Kevin Spacey. I have watched him do that character several times. Yes, it works here, but still seems like *insert a famous Kevin Spacey movie character* is a congressman now.
Old 02-09-13, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished this episode.

Right now it seems that Kevin Spacey and Mara are going to have a relationship, a sexual relationship. Too easy? I hope not.

And yeah, the old woman in Starbucks reminded her of the fired office manager. That's what she mentioned, that she was unhireable at her age.

The cemetery stuff, the old lady told her that she shouldn't run there, that it was disrespectful of the place. That's why they showed her again, going there, then stopping, and going back to running in the street. And more later, walking there in the cemetery and seeing a couple making up, and she smiled, because that couple was more disrespectful.

Not sure what they want to do with her character, but it's not a dumb story at least.

And... ok I got tired. :P
Old 02-10-13, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just started episode 5. Not sure this is the best thread format for this show... I know, I know.

We should be done with the series earlier next(this) week.
Old 02-10-13, 02:55 PM

You should have just created a separate thread for each episode, and put them all up at once. I'm on episode 10 and want to comment on a hilarious scene, but I can't. And I won't remember or care a few weeks from now.
Old 02-10-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
You should have just created a separate thread for each episode, and put them all up at once. I'm on episode 10 and want to comment on a hilarious scene, but I can't. And I won't remember or care a few weeks from now.
There are threads for the entire season.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/608...0-netflix.html

^^^ Episodes 7-10 is right here.

I put them all up at once last week.
Old 02-10-13, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think he meant one for each episode. Ideally we would just follow the format from the forum, watch 3 episodes at once, but sometimes that's not possible. So if I only watch episode 7 today, and want to comment something about that episode, I have to wait until I watch episode 10, so I don't read an spoiler in that thread.

I know he mentioned episode 10, so he should be fine.

And again, this is the best we could get from the mods, right?
Old 02-10-13, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
There are threads for the entire season.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/608...0-netflix.html

^^^ Episodes 7-10 is right here.

I put them all up at once last week.
Sorry, I did a search and only the first 3 threads showed up. I should have gone back a few more pages.
Old 02-10-13, 05:11 PM

I love Francis sometimes:

"Is it the hot flashes???"

That scene had me rolling. Claire was about to explode!
Old 02-10-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 692 Likes on 425 Posts

Just finished this today--loved it! I didn't know that a 2nd season was already confirmed, but I could tell there was too much story left to tell for them to wrap it all up before the end of episode 13.

This is probably my favorite role by Kevin Spacey. Underwood is a great antihero. He's ruthless, manipulative, and a cold-blooded murderer, and yet I was still rooting for him to get the VP job.

I liked the twist with the Tusk character--made it all seem pretty suspenseful, and gave us someone who was on even footing with Underwood when it comes to playing the game.

Great acting all around in the series. Robin Wright, Kate Mara, and Corey Stoll (Russo) especially.

When do they expect to release season 2?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.