Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

House of Cards -- From David Fincher/Starring Kevin Spacey -- Do you plan to watch?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Do you plan to watch House of Cards?
Yes, I have Netflix and will watch
70.59%
Yes, I have Netflix, but not right away. Too much other things to watch
13.73%
Yes, but only if it hits BD/DVD. Not going to subscribe to Netflix
3.92%
No, I have Netflix, but not interested in this series at all
7.84%
No, Don't have Netflix and not interested
3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

House of Cards -- From David Fincher/Starring Kevin Spacey -- Do you plan to watch?

Old 01-28-13, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ULwUzF1q5w4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856010/

This show will premiere this Friday on Netflix. All 13 episodes from the 1st season will be posted. Netflix bought the rights to 2 seasons.

Since we're in new territory with original online only shows with an A-list cast and production, I thought I would ask this poll.

Synopsis:

Ruthless and cunning, Congressman Francis Underwood (Oscar® winner Kevin Spacey) and his wife Claire (Robin Wright) stop at nothing to conquer everything. This wicked political drama penetrates the shadowy world of greed, sex, and corruption in modern D.C. Kate Mara (“American Horror Story”) and Corey Stoll (“Midnight in Paris”) costar in the first original series from David Fincher (“The Social Network”) and Beau Willimon (“The Ides of March”).

Last edited by DJariya; 01-28-13 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-28-13, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: House of Cards -- From David Fincher/Starring Kevin Spacey -- Do you plan to watc

trailer looks good , seems like a good cast
Old 01-28-13, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: House of Cards -- From David Fincher/Starring Kevin Spacey -- Do you plan to watc

Don't have Netflix, but I definitely would if I did.
Old 01-28-13, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
Don't have Netflix, but I definitely would if I did.
I think you gave the wrong answer in the poll.
Old 01-28-13, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

on the fence. the talent involved is ridiculous, but the subject isn't hugely interesting to me. maybe i'll watch over the summer when it's slow.
Old 01-28-13, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
on the fence. the talent involved is ridiculous, but the subject isn't hugely interesting to me. maybe i'll watch over the summer when it's slow.
I think this will probably be the next show my wife and I sample, after we get through all of the Mad Men currently on Netflix. Since we're midway through season 1 there, it will be a while before I get to it.

I am really interested in how Netflix will leverage this property to get more revenue out of it. Might they end up eventually licensing it to other online services? Putting out DVDs? Selling it to say USA or some other cable network for repeats?
Old 01-28-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I think this will probably be the next show my wife and I sample, after we get through all of the Mad Men currently on Netflix. Since we're midway through season 1 there, it will be a while before I get to it.

I am really interested in how Netflix will leverage this property to get more revenue out of it. Might they end up eventually licensing it to other online services? Putting out DVDs? Selling it to say USA or some other cable network for repeats?
The budget for the show is $100M for 26 episodes. This isn't going to make money for them right away. In fact, I would guess they are making this at a loss right now.
Old 01-28-13, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. That's about double what I would have guessed (based on it being Netflix, not based on talent -- it's clear where the money is going).

I understand they're trying to drive subscriptions and raise the profile of their service, but at a certain point even if it's 5 years down the road, it will eventually make sense to make more money off of this by making it available in some other way.
Old 01-28-13, 06:47 PM

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

You're lucky nobody screamed at you to put this in the streaming thread yet. They're vicious.
Old 01-28-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Interested when I saw the thread title, but don't have Netflix.
Old 01-28-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone is interested in watching just this, its pretty easy to get a free trial of Netflix. Just burn through the season and don't renew.
Old 01-28-13, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
If anyone is interested in watching just this, its pretty easy to get a free trial of Netflix. Just burn through the season and don't renew.
Good point. I'll have to consider that.
Old 01-28-13, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have bandwidth limits. I'm not burning it on 13 episodes of Netflix streaming.
Old 01-29-13, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, Netflix is my prime source of TV watching and if they're planning HBO-style shows then I'm going to play along. Though anyone wanting to watch it can just get a free trial.

Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Wow. That's about double what I would have guessed (based on it being Netflix, not based on talent -- it's clear where the money is going).

I understand they're trying to drive subscriptions and raise the profile of their service, but at a certain point even if it's 5 years down the road, it will eventually make sense to make more money off of this by making it available in some other way.
I'm sure they'll release the DVDs/Blu-rays eventually. The budget is on par with HBO, which is what they're trying to ape -- an average season for an hour long drama is around $55m on there, some running substantially higher (Rome) some running a touch lower (True Blood). House of Cards is two seasons at about $50m a piece.

Netflix announced their last quarter results last week, causing their stock to jump from about $100 to $170 per share (it's now correcting and down around $162) - so there is certainly some optimism out there. Currently Netflix streaming has 27.1m subscribers in the US, and 33.3m total in the world. Their DVD/Blu service currently has around 8m subscribers, so they're pulling in around $330m per month. To note, they owe some $5 billion right now for current and future content deals.

HBO currently has 30m subscribers, and that number would be much higher if they would allow non-cable subscribers to subscribe to HBO Go. Of course, HBO is also more expensive than Netflix by nearly double. I'd personally have no problem paying $12 a month for Netflix (50% price hike) if needs be, I get my moneys worth out of it constantly... I'm actually kind of amazed it's still $8 when a half-baked service like Hulu costs the same (Hulu, more and more, is becoming like a cable box VOD service... and it's frustrating as hell since it has a lot of potential.)

Last edited by RichC2; 01-29-13 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-29-13, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The original 1990 BBC mini-series was really good. Ian Richardson did a wonderful job portraying the smug bastard/scumbag that is Francis Urquhart. I will probably check it out when time permits, and see if Kevin Spacey can pull off walking the same fine lines that his role requires.
Old 01-29-13, 05:01 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I totally plan to watch. Now I planned to watch Lilyhammer as well, but couldn't get past the fourth episode. I have no doubt this will be better though.
Old 01-29-13, 06:42 AM

I loved the BBC series too much, so I think I'll pass on this one.
Old 01-29-13, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Politics
Old 01-29-13, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Politics
You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment.
Old 01-29-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Politics don't interest me in real life, why would they in a TV show? I haven't voted in any election in years. Just don't care
Old 01-29-13, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Politics don't interest me in real life, why would they in a TV show? I haven't voted in any election in years. Just don't care
"You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment" was the main character's signature phrase in the series. He used it every time someone asked him a question he couldn't answer without divulging something.
Old 01-29-13, 09:20 AM

For those on the fence, think of this as "Game of Thrones" in a modern setting.
Old 01-29-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IIG View Post
I totally plan to watch. Now I planned to watch Lilyhammer as well, but couldn't get past the fourth episode. I have no doubt this will be better though.
Lilyhammer... I TRIED getting through that, I couldnt get past the fact that SVZ was doing the same character as he played in the Sopranos... just because you are making a mafia type show, doesnt mean it will be good

As for HOC, I will try it out... why not... but politically themed shows are not my favorites... we will see... my most anticipated show of the year doesnt premiere on NF for a few months anyway
Old 01-29-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Haven't seen the original but the talent involved and the fantastic reviews it's getting means I'll be watching.
Old 01-29-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll give it a shot.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.