TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Last Resort -- Series Finale -- "Controlled Flight Into Terrain" -- 1/24/13

Old 01-24-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts
Last Resort -- Series Finale -- "Controlled Flight Into Terrain" -- 1/24/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

"Controlled Flight Into Terrain" - In the exciting series finale, a violent battle for control erupts on the submarine, which leaves the Colorado vulnerable to capture by a third party -- one with an exploitative plan. Can Marcus and Sam take control of the sub before it's too late? The season finale of "Last Resort" airs THURSDAY, JANUARY 24 (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Last Resort" stars Andre Braugher as Captain Marcus Chaplin, Scott Speedman as XO Sam Kendal, Daisy Betts as Lieutenant Grace Shepard, Dichen Lachman as Tani Tumrenjack, Daniel Lissing as SEAL Officer James King, Sahr Ngaujah as Mayor Julian Serrat, Camille de Pazzis as Sophie Girard, Autumn Reeser as Kylie Sinclair, Jessy Schram as Christine Kendal and Robert Patrick as Master Chief Joseph Prosser.

Episode 13 of 13

That's it. Hope it goes out with a bang.

Zero Hour with Anthony Edwards will take over this timeslot on February 14

Shawn Ryan's next project will be Beverly Hills Cop for CBS. CBS officially ordered a Pilot this week. You will find out it's status during May upfronts.
Old 01-24-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Last Resort -- Series Finale -- "Controlled Flight Into Terrain" -- 1/24/13

Aw crap I forgot about that one for CBS. I'm not particularly excited.

This was a mess. They had plenty of bangs, but what may have been fun if we cared more about these characters after a few seasons was mostly just who's that guy again?
Old 01-24-13, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

at least it had some sort of closure, vs getting canceled after airing a cliff hanger season finale
Old 01-24-13, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
at least it had some sort of closure, vs getting canceled after airing a cliff hanger season finale
I do appreciate that, but it's not up to what I've come to expect from a canceled Ryan show.
Old 01-24-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

I think they packed more into an hour of a show than I've seen with any other show ever.
Old 01-24-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I think they packed more into an hour of a show than I've seen with any other show ever.
And yet the ending still felt oddly tacked on.
Old 01-24-13, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah really would have preferred way more of the return home and resolution of the stateside issues than the mutiny within the mutiny.
Old 01-24-13, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the problem might have been them trying to give some resolution to virtually every story instead of just solving the main problems and letting other stuff like the barmaid and the Seal, the rapist, and even China just sort of hang there limp. I think the only things that really demanded resolution was what happens to the sub, what happens to the corrupt government, and getting the XO's wife resolved. They skimped on the corrupt government part to give service to too many subplots that were filler.
Old 01-25-13, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

Agree with most of the rest of you. It was partially satisfying, but not completely. I would have liked the little island Napolean to get his just deserts (ie, a bullet to the brain).
Old 01-25-13, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering the rest of the series, that was probably the best episode of them all. What an uneven series. I'm actually satisfied with this resolution. Far more than most shows get.
Old 01-25-13, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
And yet the ending still felt oddly tacked on.
Yep.

This show would have worked perfectly as a full one-season or 2 half-seasons.

And I still think it's better than Revolution which somehow gets decent ratings.
Old 01-25-13, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Can someone spoil how it ended? I gave up after the first 3 episodes but I'm curious to see where it ended up.
Old 01-25-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Yep.

This show would have worked perfectly as a full one-season or 2 half-seasons.

And I still think it's better than Revolution which somehow gets decent ratings.
Honestly, I think it would have worked best stripped of a few filler plot points as a 8 or 10 hour miniseries.

ETA: Yes, it's miles better than Revolution.

Last edited by Jimmy James; 01-25-13 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
Can someone spoil how it ended? I gave up after the first 3 episodes but I'm curious to see where it ended up.
As it has aired and we're in the episode thread, no spoiler tags:

In the episodes you missed, an envoy from China showed up and the guy who ran the reactor raped a local and was basically left to fend for himself with the locals.

There's a mutiny with the XO on land. It's quashed when Grace on the sub signals she's with the captain. Problem is that rapist has taken the ship and wants to settle the score with the Captain. He is part of a mutiny on the ship which is loosely the same mutiny as the XO with the COB in the mutiny too.

The XO as a prisoner and the Captain board the sub. The mutiny makes itself apparent but then there is a mutiny within the mutiny and the rapist reveals himself to be on the ship. He's going to sell the sub to China and off the Captain. The COB and Grace are together and resisting and the XO and the Captain are together resisting. COB/Grace end up in the torpedo room and I forget where XO/Captain are except they have the sub full of air so it can't dive and have some control over where the sub goes. Rapist spins up missiles (he took the keys) and is about to launch against Maryland where the Captain is from but the Captain runs her aground which keeps the missiles from launching. The XO/Captain also contacted the AWS and had them call in the sub location to the US, which scrambled F18s to fire on the sub. The Captain won't leave the sub just in case the Chinese get to it first so he dies when the F18s take the sub out. The XO is reunited with his thought to be dead wife who had been kidnapped and gives a statement.

Meanwhile, after the failed coup from last episode, the weapons heiress kills a coup co-conspirator to prove her worth to the President at the co-conspirator's request, goes to a party with the President, whips out a gun, and kills him.

I think that's essentially it, yes?
Old 01-25-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seems legit.

But yeah, that pretty much sums it up.
Old 01-25-13, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
... goes to a party with the President, whips out a gun, and kills him.
That scene was so poorly staged, shot, blocked and directed that I had almost no idea what happened. Almost like it's a scene they put together in post rather than something that was in the script that they originally shot.
Old 01-26-13, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Finished up the last 5 episodes today including the finale.

Wow, Ryan wasn't kidding when he said they would go out with a bang. I think they packed in 9 episodes of content in 43 minutes.

I guess Chaplain's fate was a fitting end to his character, but seemed like a stupid reason to sacrifice himself.

The transition from the island to Sam speaking at the press conference was really awkward. I felt like there was 15 mins of content missing.

I usually don't agree with anything Slop101 says, but I have to agree the last scene with Kylie shooting the President was really weird and poorly staged.

It was a moderately satisfying ending, yet felt really rushed.

Overall, being on 8pm was a really bad hour for this show. Hope Ryan's next venture works out better. I'm sure with Beverly Hills Cop and being on CBS as a procedural may help.