Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Taste (Anthony Bourdain) -- New Cooking Competition Show -- Tuesdays (ABC)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-22-13, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

NEW ONE-HOUR COOKING COMPETITION SERIES "THE TASTE" PREMIERES TUESDAY, JANUARY 22 ON ABC

One blind spoonful could change everything on ABC's all-new alternative series, "The Taste," an exhilarating one-hour cooking competition that puts 16 culinary competitors - from pro chefs to home cooks -- to the fire with four of the world's most notable masters of the food world who will judge their creations based on a blind taste test.

In this pressure-filled contest, the taste in a single spoonful can catapult a contender to the top or send him packing. The series features no-holds barred chef Anthony Bourdain, British food star Nigella Lawson, expert chef/author Ludo Lefebvre and chef/restaurateur Brian Malarkey. These four culinary superstars and mentors will each coach a team of four competing pro and amateur cooks chosen from a nationwide casting call, as they vie to create the best tasting dish in a state of the art kitchen. In each episode the groups will face team and individual challenges with a variety of culinary themes through various elimination rounds. At the end of each episode, the mentors will have to judge the competitors' dishes blind -- with no knowledge of whose creation they're sampling, what they're eating, how it was prepared or whom they could be sending home.

In the two-hour series premiere, "Auditions Part 1," the pressure is on when Anthony Bourdain, Nigella Lawson, Ludovic Lefebvre and Brian Malarkey put 29 professional chefs and home cooks through their first grueling round of blind taste tests -- in which just a single spoonful will decide whether or not they make it past the audition phase and into the competition. "Auditions Part 1" airs TUESDAY, JANUARY 22 (8:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on ABC. The series will air in its regular time period Tuesday, January 29 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET).

Read more: Listings - TASTE, THE on ABC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2IlGi54pJ

Anyone going to try this tonight? I'm going to give it a shot mainly because I am a huge Anthony Bourdain fan from No Reservations and The Layover.

Bourdain is one of the Producers and a Coach in this competition. I know Ludo and Nigella Lawson from Top Chef and they are both coaches here too.

If your in the East Coast, it's already started. 2 Hour Premiere tonight. 8 episodes.

This can't be that bad. Bourdain, if you know is personality, wouldn't put his name on shit.
Old 01-22-13, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Taste (Anthony Bourdain) -- New Cooking Competition Show -- Tuesdays (ABC)

Had not heard of this so missed it tonight.

Looks like it replays Saturday night.
Old 01-22-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Taste (Anthony Bourdain) -- New Cooking Competition Show -- Tuesdays (ABC)

Such a rip off of The Voice and I've never even watched a second of The Voice and I know that. I absolutely love Nigella Lawson and I like Bourdain as well so I gave it a shot. I enjoyed it even though I don't believe that they're not being pushed one way or the other with some of these contestants.

I really don't like Ludo and I'm not sure why they don't have subtitles when he talks. Never heard of Malarkey and can't say I'm a fan of his at this point.

I'm not sure it's worth a season pass and I'm not sure I'm going to remember to tune in next week.
Old 01-22-13, 10:04 PM
Suspended

I watched for a bit and expected Anthony to be a little more scathing. He was not. Fail.
Old 01-22-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frustrating show.

"I loved your food, It was something I would put on the menu in my own restaurant, and I'm kicking myself for doing it, but I voted no"

what?

and I second the subtitles for Ludo. It would have been great to see some other known chefs...
Old 01-22-13, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
I watched for a bit and expected Anthony to be a little more scathing. He was not. Fail.
If your in California, how were you able to watch it? It's not even 8 yet.
Old 01-22-13, 10:11 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
If your in California, how were you able to watch it? It's not even 8 yet.
I'm on business in Chicago till Thurs. It came on at 7 here.
Old 01-22-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bourdain sent out this tweet earlier today:

Don’t know which is more terrifying: first foray into network TV @TheTasteABC tonite at 8, or the plumbing I’m headed to now #PartsUnknown
He's in the middle of shooting his new CNN show.
Old 01-22-13, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dunno, I liked it enough. I'd rather watch cooking then singing or dancing. Curious where they will take this show. I'll watch it for now.
Old 01-23-13, 01:09 AM

Yeah, pretty awful. Not much of a hook or arc. Done.
Old 01-23-13, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by covenant View Post
Frustrating show.

"I loved your food, It was something I would put on the menu in my own restaurant, and I'm kicking myself for doing it, but I voted no"

what?

and I second the subtitles for Ludo. It would have been great to see some other known chefs...
They know they really can't just always go off JUST the one taste. They have to think more long term. But at the same time, what they seem to be looking for in this food they're eating is them wanting it to be so transcendant to their pallet they're just crossing off people left and right because their own expectations are that huge.
Old 02-20-13, 11:49 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Caught up on this over the past couple of weeks - I'm not sure, I like the blind part of the tasting.
But wonder what happens when a judge loses all his chefs? I've never watched the voice.

The 'fake' aggro between ludo and malarkey is silly - I like seeing Bourdain walking around drinking. His entire team seem to be drinking the whole time.
Old 02-20-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can't stand Ludo, and really everyone else but Tony. And He's not snarky enough for me. I'm out.
Old 02-20-13, 04:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoy this one even though I wasn't expecting to. The Voice ripoff aspect initially put me off, but the idea that you could be voting against one of your own chefs has actually turned out to be my favorite aspect of the concept.
Old 02-21-13, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ludo was just like "I know what my team's problem is, shut up even though I voted my own guy as the worst cook here this week and I've got to stop bending over for him."

The other 3 wanted to gleefully rub it in. Well we know 1 of them did.