Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Hulu and Netflix combo

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-22-13, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of ditching Dish. No real reason other than to reduce cost. We have been out of our 2 year commitment for some time and it seems like there are better options to keep monthly payments lower.

I'd be interested to hear any of your thoughts on going with hulu Plus and Netflix. I'll get an HD antenna for locals. There seems to be quite a few shows I won't get through these, which I could buy through Amazon or iTunes. My biggest concern is sports but I have a bar a mile away and it will give me more excuses to drink if I want to see a Wild or Twins game.

My other concern is that there are 6 of us and it says you can only use Hulu on one device at a time. that could get problematic.

Regardless I think we may try out for a month or so and see how it goes.
Old 01-22-13, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Thoughts on Hulu and Netflix combo

I did it a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. It's amazing how little you will miss it actually. You get to choose exactly what you want to watch, when you want to watch it. As for sports, I subscribe to NBA LeaguePass and MLSLive so I'm pretty much covered there as well. I think the last holdout for internet subscription is the NFL. In which case, as you said go to a sports bar, where it's more fun to watch a game anyhow.
Old 01-22-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hahn View Post
I think the last holdout for internet subscription is the NFL. In which case, as you said go to a sports bar, where it's more fun to watch a game anyhow.
Technically that's not true. You can get NFL Sunday Ticket through the PS3: http://us.playstation.com/psn/nfl/
Old 01-22-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I did it a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. It's amazing how little you will miss it actually. You get to choose exactly what you want to watch, when you want to watch it. As for sports, I subscribe to NBA LeaguePass and MLSLive so I'm pretty much covered there as well. I think the last holdout for internet subscription is the NFL. In which case, as you said go to a sports bar, where it's more fun to watch a game anyhow.
so you steal your neighbors Showtime feed eh?

Personally for me, if you can't afford cable or a premium channel, I don't believe you should steal off the Internet just because you can. That applies to illegal downloads and shitty uploads to those file sharing sites. Either get the channel legally or wait until the official home video release.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-22-13 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
so you steal your neighbors Showtime feed eh?

Personally for me, if you can't afford cable or a premium channel, I don't believe you should steal off the Internet just because you can.
Pretty serious accusation. My neighbors kept their cable so I go up to watch Sunday nights with them. I buy Walking Dead, Suits, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad from iTunes. I need to explain myself to you?
Old 01-22-13, 05:18 PM

For NFL I am only really interested in the local tam wich will be on local channels. Is there an NHL channel?
Old 01-22-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Does the Streaming Talk section not exist to some of the posters here? This same topic has been covered numerous times there. You could just sift through a few older threads to find this information.
Old 01-22-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lysander View Post
For NFL I am only really interested in the local tam wich will be on local channels. Is there an NHL channel?
AppleTV does have NHL, but I've never used it. You'll want to check blackout rules. That's the only thing I find annoying with the NBA LeaguePass.

Originally Posted by Deftones
Technically that's not true. You can get NFL Sunday Ticket through the PS3: http://us.playstation.com/psn/nfl/
Ah, didn't know that and I have a PS3. I'm assuming there are blackout games though?

Last edited by hahn; 01-22-13 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pretty serious accusation. My neighbors kept their cable so I go up to watch Sunday nights with them. I buy Walking Dead, Suits, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad from iTunes. I need to explain myself to you?
Sorry. I was just fucking with you with my 1st statement.

The second paragraph was my own personal opinion about people who don't choose to subscribe to cable or premium channels. It wasn't specifically directed at you. I've read posts in the past from people who believe they are entitled to free entertainment and pirate shit without any remorse. Those kind of people piss me off.

A year or so ago, a colleague got a Piracy warning letter from a studio for downloading fucking 30 Rock. I told him he was a fucking idiot.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-22-13 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 05:33 PM

Does the Streaming Talk section not exist to some of the posters here? This same topic has been covered numerous times there. You could just sift through a few older threads to find this information.

No. I only have an old version of the internet.

BTW I will not be pirating anything. Just looking to see if there are more cost effective options.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-13, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah, didn't know that and I have a PS3. I'm assuming there are blackout games though?
blackout rules apply. so if you have a local team, you won't see them on there. but, if you have a local team, they are on broadcast anyway and you should be able to watch them via antenna. well that is if they sell out the games, of course. if you are a TB fan or a Cincy fan, you may miss games since they don't tend to sell out all their games.
Old 01-22-13, 05:48 PM

I did it last spring and don't really miss anything that much. I do have a PC with a tv tuner card and hooked up the cable internet cable to it to get the locals in HD and I can use that for most sports. I also have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. And I did subscribe to NFL Game Rewind (I think it was $50 and you could watch any and every game a day later) and NHL Center Ice for my sports fixes.

Overall I save about ninety bucks a month (I already had all of the aformentioned services).
Old 01-22-13, 05:54 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 01-22-13, 06:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread in the Streaming Talk forum might answer some of your questions:

Cutting The Cord - Dropping Pay TV for Streaming
Old 01-22-13, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I hate Hulu for the most part due to limitations and yet it has so much promise.

Love Netflix.
Old 01-24-13, 05:08 PM

This isn't really a streaming topic since, for example, I cut the cord a few years ago without any streaming outside of d/ling the Bill Maher podcast (legally direct from HBO).

Everything else comes from OTA and DVD.

However with the trend of some series not getting *any* proper optical release (The Exes, Retired at 35) I may have to stoop to getting into the iTunes thing.
Old 01-24-13, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold the phone - there is a Streaming Talk section?!?
Old 01-24-13, 09:18 PM

The more exposure the better. I like to think every post equals one new person free from the chains of cable.
Old 01-25-13, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I HAVE TO HAVE TCM. I HAVE TO. Otherwise, wouldn't be a huge issue for me once over my own place. Although Netflix random removal of stuff I want to watch is irritating. No experience with Hulu.
Old 01-25-13, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It really isn't random, most items have an expiration date, they just don't publish them as obviously as they should. Same as any VOD service unfortunately.

Check http://www.moreflicks.com/home/movie...ntry=us&query= for the US.
Old 01-25-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It really isn't random, most items have an expiration date, they just don't publish them as obviously as they should. Same as any VOD service unfortunately.

Check http://www.moreflicks.com/home/movie...ntry=us&query= for the US.
Yeah, well, my time is finite, part of the charm of it is knowing that I'm paying for it, so it'll be there after work, but if I'm halfway through a show and all of a sudden they take it down, it's frustrating as hell even if they do warn you. I was all jazzed up to watch FarScape, now it's MIA.
Old 01-25-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu is worth it to stay current on late night shows and misc. . Then they have the movie selection too.

I'll get around to testing out a Roku box, Netflix (with single DVD rental membership), Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant. And I also have Direct TV w/DVR (just got it recently ... after going five-or-so years without cable). Amazon instant is good for "renting" movies.

To me, that is a definitive setup. If you desire more TV time, you have to re-evaluate your life.

I can't even see a need to own many DVD's with that sort of setup.
Old 01-25-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Paying for cable has never bothered me. I watch it enough that it's worth it to me. If you only watch a few shows, buying them from iTunes or Amazon, or streaming them (if available) seems okay too. It's really a cost-benefit calculation.
Old 01-25-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The obvious downside to going streaming is if your internet connection goes down, no more tv. Around this area, AT&T U verse was out for 3 days this week.

Also, more and more providers are putting on data caps.
Old 01-25-13, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Also, more and more providers are putting on data caps.
This is one reason I've stuck with optical media. Netflix/Hulu cheaper rental services like that are one thing but if I'm buying it to own from iTunes or Amaxon Unbox why would I pay the same price (often more and rarely less) to buy the content AND have to piss away my bandwidth?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.