Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Old 01-21-13, 08:03 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 56,933
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

BARNEY BEGS TED TO CONTINUE SEEING HIS YOUNGER, WILDER GIRLFRIEND, EVEN THOUGH TED HAS NOTHING IN COMMON WITH HER, ON "HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER," MONDAY, JAN. 21

Ashley Benson ("Pretty Little Liars") Guest Stars as Carly, Ted's New Girlfriend

"Ring Up" - Barney begs Ted to continue seeing his much younger, much wilder girlfriend, even though Ted has nothing in common with her. Meanwhile, Robin must adjust to the power of the bling, on HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, Monday, Jan. 21 (8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Ashley Benson ("Pretty Little Liars") guest stars as Carly, Ted's new girlfriend.

SERIES REGULARS:

Josh Radnor (Ted)
Jason Segel (Marshall)
Cobie Smulders (Robin)
Neil Patrick Harris (Barney)
Alyson Hannigan (Lily)

RECURRING CAST:

Bob Saget (Narrator)

GUEST CAST:

Carly (Ashley Benson)
Jason Watson (Barista)
Chauncey Jenkins (Business Man)
Sachin Bhatt (Man #1)
Zach Bandler (Man #2)
Jason Heymann (Man #3)
Nikki Tuazon (Hot Girl)

WRITTEN BY: Jennifer Hendriks

DIRECTED BY: Pamela Fryman



Read more: Listings - HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2If6GV5jf

Episode 14 of 24
Old 01-22-13, 01:37 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 3,771
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13



Well there goes that theory.
Old 01-22-13, 04:54 AM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 142
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

The fact that Ted had to be talked into banging that blonde further proves I could never hang with Ted. Being in my mid 30s, my single friends and I would battle in a Hunger Games like contest to hook up with a 20 year old whos that hot.

As for the rest of the episode, the Robin ring thing was ammusing, but the rest felt like filler.
Old 01-22-13, 05:43 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,987
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Originally Posted by boogieman03 View Post


Well there goes that theory.
You can hear the internet screaming because the writers just killed the one thing so many fans were ABSOLUTELY SURE they had known for the last couple of years.
Old 01-22-13, 08:20 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 58,108
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Thought that was a decent episode. Loved the "thing" it took Ted to connect with the 20 year old chick.

I didn't think that chick was that hot seemed like a butterface to me.
Old 01-22-13, 08:41 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 688
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow View Post
You can hear the internet screaming because the writers just killed the one thing so many fans were ABSOLUTELY SURE they had known for the last couple of years.
I'll go down speculating that the writers called an audible. I find that more plausible than thinking the writers made a specific, throwaway reference to a character we've never met just so she could appear in a random episode that no one will ever care about.
Old 01-22-13, 10:23 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Raul3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Picture a cup in the middle of the sea
Posts: 10,705
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post

I didn't think that chick was that hot seemed like a butterface to me.
Agree. Although in my case, her face looked good in some scenes and in some other not that good. Really weird, like they were using two actresses.
Old 01-23-13, 02:11 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 142
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow View Post
You can hear the internet screaming because the writers just killed the one thing so many fans were ABSOLUTELY SURE they had known for the last couple of years.
I'm drawing a blank, what theory? That Ted marries Barneys sister?
Old 01-23-13, 05:44 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,987
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Originally Posted by Adken View Post
I'm drawing a blank, what theory? That Ted marries Barneys sister?
Yep. Fans everywhere have been speculating that idea since she was first mentioned offhand by LIthgow when he first came on the show because for the past two years after no one had ever mentioned or seen her yet.

Therefore it turned into "She must be the Mom!"
Old 01-23-13, 05:45 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,987
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Originally Posted by RUSF18 View Post
I'll go down speculating that the writers called an audible. I find that more plausible than thinking the writers made a specific, throwaway reference to a character we've never met just so she could appear in a random episode that no one will ever care about.
I don't see it as an audible. I see at as the writers going seeing how many fans on the net have speculated that this was how it was going to go and therefore giving them a proverbial SLAP as if they lost a bet.
Old 01-23-13, 02:08 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
madcougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Houston
Posts: 6,690
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Perhaps it's the fact I watched this really late, but I laughed continuously throughout the episode. One of my favorite in the last few years.
Old 01-23-13, 08:12 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 142
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow View Post
Yep. Fans everywhere have been speculating that idea since she was first mentioned offhand by LIthgow when he first came on the show because for the past two years after no one had ever mentioned or seen her yet.

Therefore it turned into "She must be the Mom!"
I dont know... didnt they already establish the mother was Rachel Bilson's roommate? And given the age of Bilson in the show (looks to be at least in the mid to late 20's in that subway scene where she recommended the band to Ted), I just dont see how Barney's sister could be the mother.
Old 01-23-13, 09:30 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 31,654
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Originally Posted by Kennyx View Post
I dont know... didnt they already establish the mother was Rachel Bilson's roommate? And given the age of Bilson in the show (looks to be at least in the mid to late 20's in that subway scene where she recommended the band to Ted), I just dont see how Barney's sister could be the mother.
Yeah, they already established the mother as being Bilson's roommate.
Old 01-24-13, 07:00 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,987
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Originally Posted by Kennyx View Post
I dont know... didnt they already establish the mother was Rachel Bilson's roommate? And given the age of Bilson in the show (looks to be at least in the mid to late 20's in that subway scene where she recommended the band to Ted), I just dont see how Barney's sister could be the mother.
That didn't mean the roommate couldn't also have been Barney's sister. All the info we've been given on her up to this episode never disproved it.
Old 01-24-13, 08:19 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Xander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 4,377
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow View Post
That didn't mean the roommate couldn't also have been Barney's sister. All the info we've been given on her up to this episode never disproved it.
Except that he dated Bilson, what, like 7 years ago? So she would have been living with a 13-year-old roommate back then?
Old 01-24-13, 03:29 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
madcougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Houston
Posts: 6,690
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Except that he dated Bilson, what, like 7 years ago? So she would have been living with a 13-year-old roommate back then?
Well at least 17 since it was three years ago... but good point.
Old 01-24-13, 07:32 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 6,700
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Thought that was a decent episode. Loved the "thing" it took Ted to connect with the 20 year old chick.
I totally laughed when she said she had only seen the prequels, because in my office there's a 22 year-old guy, and we were talking about Star Wars and he said he'd only seen the prequels. We were all aghast.
Old 01-24-13, 08:38 PM
  #18  
Enormous Genitals
 
Bandoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Posts: 33,238
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Does anyone really give a shit about who the "mom" ends up to be? Really? This is a great comedy and I don't really care about the titular character.
Old 01-24-13, 09:33 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 58,108
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Whoa, whoa whoa.... I think we're throwing around the word "great" a little to casually here.

And no, no one gives two shits about who it actually is, that's not the point. The show is stuck in a creative rut because they painted themselves into a corner with the show title(of course I doubt the creators predicted a 9 year run). Either meet the bitch and move on with them dating or end the show. Either way, 9 years of bullshit story after bullshit story that has nothing to do with meeting this chick is absurd. Apparently with another season we will be reaching 200 episodes of this gigantic butterfly effect story.

And yes I'm exaggerating to get the full effect.
Old 01-24-13, 09:50 PM
  #20  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 29,261
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Whoa, whoa whoa.... I think we're throwing around the word "great" a little to casually here.

And no, no one gives two shits about who it actually is, that's not the point. The show is stuck in a creative rut because they painted themselves into a corner with the show title(of course I doubt the creators predicted a 9 year run). Either meet the bitch and move on with them dating or end the show. Either way, 9 years of bullshit story after bullshit story that has nothing to do with meeting this chick is absurd. Apparently with another season we will be reaching 200 episodes of this gigantic butterfly effect story.

And yes I'm exaggerating to get the full effect.
Well put.
Old 01-30-13, 02:23 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,102
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Next season will be the show's last... we'll finally meet the mother!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/30/ho...-final-season/
Old 01-30-13, 08:40 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 6,700
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

How many other comedies have completed a 9-year run with the original creators and full original cast intact the entire time?
Old 01-30-13, 09:11 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 58,108
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Seinfeld, Friends, Cheers (more or less).

That's some esteemed company.
Old 01-30-13, 11:45 PM
  #24  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 29,261
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Larry David left Seinfeld...

I hope the introduce the mother at the end of this season.
Old 01-31-13, 07:55 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 6,700
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

Cheers, no.

But I did find some other examples:

Everybody Loves Raymond
King of Queens

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.