DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/608139-how-i-met-your-mother-ring-up-1-21-13-a.html)

DJariya 01-21-13 07:03 PM

How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

BARNEY BEGS TED TO CONTINUE SEEING HIS YOUNGER, WILDER GIRLFRIEND, EVEN THOUGH TED HAS NOTHING IN COMMON WITH HER, ON "HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER," MONDAY, JAN. 21

Ashley Benson ("Pretty Little Liars") Guest Stars as Carly, Ted's New Girlfriend

"Ring Up" - Barney begs Ted to continue seeing his much younger, much wilder girlfriend, even though Ted has nothing in common with her. Meanwhile, Robin must adjust to the power of the bling, on HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, Monday, Jan. 21 (8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Ashley Benson ("Pretty Little Liars") guest stars as Carly, Ted's new girlfriend.

SERIES REGULARS:

Josh Radnor (Ted)
Jason Segel (Marshall)
Cobie Smulders (Robin)
Neil Patrick Harris (Barney)
Alyson Hannigan (Lily)

RECURRING CAST:

Bob Saget (Narrator)

GUEST CAST:

Carly (Ashley Benson)
Jason Watson (Barista)
Chauncey Jenkins (Business Man)
Sachin Bhatt (Man #1)
Zach Bandler (Man #2)
Jason Heymann (Man #3)
Nikki Tuazon (Hot Girl)

WRITTEN BY: Jennifer Hendriks

DIRECTED BY: Pamela Fryman

Read more: Listings - HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2If6GV5jf

Episode 14 of 24

boogieman03 01-22-13 12:37 AM

Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Ring Up" -- 1/21/13

rotfl

Well there goes that theory.

Adken 01-22-13 03:54 AM

The fact that Ted had to be talked into banging that blonde further proves I could never hang with Ted. Being in my mid 30s, my single friends and I would battle in a Hunger Games like contest to hook up with a 20 year old whos that hot.

As for the rest of the episode, the Robin ring thing was ammusing, but the rest felt like filler.

Evan Meadow 01-22-13 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by boogieman03 (Post 11549234)
rotfl

Well there goes that theory.

You can hear the internet screaming because the writers just killed the one thing so many fans were ABSOLUTELY SURE they had known for the last couple of years.

Michael Corvin 01-22-13 07:20 AM

Thought that was a decent episode. Loved the "thing" it took Ted to connect with the 20 year old chick.

I didn't think that chick was that hot seemed like a butterface to me.

RUSF18 01-22-13 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow (Post 11549294)
You can hear the internet screaming because the writers just killed the one thing so many fans were ABSOLUTELY SURE they had known for the last couple of years.

I'll go down speculating that the writers called an audible. I find that more plausible than thinking the writers made a specific, throwaway reference to a character we've never met just so she could appear in a random episode that no one will ever care about.

Raul3 01-22-13 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11549328)

I didn't think that chick was that hot seemed like a butterface to me.

Agree. Although in my case, her face looked good in some scenes and in some other not that good. Really weird, like they were using two actresses.

Adken 01-23-13 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow (Post 11549294)

I'm drawing a blank, what theory? That Ted marries Barneys sister?

Evan Meadow 01-23-13 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Adken (Post 11550703)
I'm drawing a blank, what theory? That Ted marries Barneys sister?

Yep. Fans everywhere have been speculating that idea since she was first mentioned offhand by LIthgow when he first came on the show because for the past two years after no one had ever mentioned or seen her yet.

Therefore it turned into "She must be the Mom!"

Evan Meadow 01-23-13 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by RUSF18 (Post 11549340)
I'll go down speculating that the writers called an audible. I find that more plausible than thinking the writers made a specific, throwaway reference to a character we've never met just so she could appear in a random episode that no one will ever care about.

I don't see it as an audible. I see at as the writers going seeing how many fans on the net have speculated that this was how it was going to go and therefore giving them a proverbial SLAP as if they lost a bet.

madcougar 01-23-13 01:08 PM

Perhaps it's the fact I watched this really late, but I laughed continuously throughout the episode. One of my favorite in the last few years.

Kennyx 01-23-13 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow (Post 11550738)
Yep. Fans everywhere have been speculating that idea since she was first mentioned offhand by LIthgow when he first came on the show because for the past two years after no one had ever mentioned or seen her yet.

Therefore it turned into "She must be the Mom!"

I dont know... didnt they already establish the mother was Rachel Bilson's roommate? And given the age of Bilson in the show (looks to be at least in the mid to late 20's in that subway scene where she recommended the band to Ted), I just dont see how Barney's sister could be the mother.

Josh-da-man 01-23-13 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kennyx (Post 11551857)
I dont know... didnt they already establish the mother was Rachel Bilson's roommate? And given the age of Bilson in the show (looks to be at least in the mid to late 20's in that subway scene where she recommended the band to Ted), I just dont see how Barney's sister could be the mother.

Yeah, they already established the mother as being Bilson's roommate.

Evan Meadow 01-24-13 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kennyx (Post 11551857)

That didn't mean the roommate couldn't also have been Barney's sister. All the info we've been given on her up to this episode never disproved it.

Xander 01-24-13 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow (Post 11552221)
That didn't mean the roommate couldn't also have been Barney's sister. All the info we've been given on her up to this episode never disproved it.

Except that he dated Bilson, what, like 7 years ago? So she would have been living with a 13-year-old roommate back then? ;)

madcougar 01-24-13 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Xander (Post 11552245)
Except that he dated Bilson, what, like 7 years ago? So she would have been living with a 13-year-old roommate back then? ;)

Well at least 17 since it was three years ago... but good point.

TheBang 01-24-13 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11549328)
Thought that was a decent episode. Loved the "thing" it took Ted to connect with the 20 year old chick.

I totally laughed when she said she had only seen the prequels, because in my office there's a 22 year-old guy, and we were talking about Star Wars and he said he'd only seen the prequels. We were all aghast.

Bandoman 01-24-13 07:38 PM

Does anyone really give a shit about who the "mom" ends up to be? Really? This is a great comedy and I don't really care about the titular character.

Michael Corvin 01-24-13 08:33 PM

Whoa, whoa whoa.... I think we're throwing around the word "great" a little to casually here. ;)

And no, no one gives two shits about who it actually is, that's not the point. The show is stuck in a creative rut because they painted themselves into a corner with the show title(of course I doubt the creators predicted a 9 year run). Either meet the bitch and move on with them dating or end the show. Either way, 9 years of bullshit story after bullshit story that has nothing to do with meeting this chick is absurd. Apparently with another season we will be reaching 200 episodes of this gigantic butterfly effect story.

And yes I'm exaggerating to get the full effect. :)

dex14 01-24-13 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11553183)
Whoa, whoa whoa.... I think we're throwing around the word "great" a little to casually here. ;)

And no, no one gives two shits about who it actually is, that's not the point. The show is stuck in a creative rut because they painted themselves into a corner with the show title(of course I doubt the creators predicted a 9 year run). Either meet the bitch and move on with them dating or end the show. Either way, 9 years of bullshit story after bullshit story that has nothing to do with meeting this chick is absurd. Apparently with another season we will be reaching 200 episodes of this gigantic butterfly effect story.

And yes I'm exaggerating to get the full effect. :)

Well put. :thumbsup:

Double_Oh_7 01-30-13 01:23 PM

Next season will be the show's last... we'll finally meet the mother!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/30/ho...-final-season/

TheBang 01-30-13 07:40 PM

How many other comedies have completed a 9-year run with the original creators and full original cast intact the entire time?

Michael Corvin 01-30-13 08:11 PM

Seinfeld, Friends, Cheers (more or less).

That's some esteemed company.

dex14 01-30-13 10:45 PM

Larry David left Seinfeld...

I hope the introduce the mother at the end of this season.

TheBang 01-31-13 06:55 PM

Cheers, no.

But I did find some other examples:

Everybody Loves Raymond
King of Queens