Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy The Sheep Slayer

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 09:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Buffy The Sheep Slayer

Despite the minor errors, no one's ranking shifted, although the appropriate points have been added.

Revised current standings:

Supermallet -118
chrisih8u -112
SuperX -104
Navinabob -97
JasonF -87
drc -67
Jimmy James -66
Mhepburn20 -57
TBC -40
dalbowski -40
Tracer Bullet -39
Meglos -35
ivelostr2 -36
Nogura -32
Adrian_Monk -30
awil1026 -29
Fist of Doom -26
Damfino -19
kgrogers1979 -12
cruzness -5
GizmoDVD 2
Old 01-15-13, 09:38 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Am I winning or losing? I've never done this before...
Old 01-15-13, 09:40 PM
Banned by request

Lowest score wins.
Old 01-15-13, 09:40 PM
Banned by request

You've never played sheep before? Huh. Figured you'd have gotten in on a game before now.
Old 01-15-13, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Lowest score wins.
Not in my version of this game. I occasionally watched buffy. But have forgotten most of it. I am hoping for a negative score but expect last place

Oh and the question asked for a member of the Scooby gang. It was unique IMHO.
Old 01-15-13, 09:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Lowest score wins.
So am I winning or in dead last?

You've never played sheep before? Huh. Figured you'd have gotten in on a game before now.
Nope, never played.
Old 01-15-13, 09:50 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by cruzness
Oh and the question asked for a member of the Scooby gang. It was unique IMHO.
It's Buffy sheep, not Scooby Doo sheep. The context was clearly the Scooby gang within Buffy The Vampire Slayer, not Scooby Doo.

If you had picked Daphne I might have considered it, since Sarah Michelle Gellar played her in the movie. But Velma? No.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So am I winning or in dead last?
You're at +2, which is numerically higher than all the other scores, so you are dead last. Think of it like golf.
Old 01-16-13, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uniques:

Billy Fordham 0
Nogura
Challenge on multiple counts - a.) Billy hardly qualifies as a foe (he wasn't ever a significant threat, in fact all he did was set up Buffy to be in the same place as Spike) b.) neither Buffy nor Billy seemed to really have it in for each other - she tried to convince him he was wrong about being turned to a vampire and he was dying and saw no other way out than his deal with Spike and MORE IMPORTANTLY c.) When they last interacted in the ONLY episode he appeared in - he was a vampire and she staked him thus he would be supernatural.

Old 01-16-13, 01:12 AM

I would like to point out that no one chose my debut season, five!
Not to worry Dawn... your question will certainly come where nearly everyone hopefully chose you and if they didn't then we should allow it to be the first time that sheep answers are wrong (unlike the worst season question)

Old 01-16-13, 02:03 AM
Banned by request

I was starting to feel swayed by your Billy Fordham argument, but then you had to go and trash talk Dawnie.

As for Billy, I think he counts because A) he is a major component of a plot to take out Buffy, B) his presence in this plot creates emotional anguish for Buffy, and C) all of his villainous actions take place when he's a regular human. The slaying of him as a vampire is incidental.
Old 01-16-13, 02:38 AM

I was starting to feel swayed by your Billy Fordham argument, but then you had to go and trash talk Dawnie.

As for Billy, I think he counts because A) he is a major component of a plot to take out Buffy, B) his presence in this plot creates emotional anguish for Buffy, and C) all of his villainous actions take place when he's a regular human. The slaying of him as a vampire is incidental.
A.) agreed but as a foe to Buffy? Maybe not a nice guy and he puts himself above her but a foe? To use some of Art's old dictionary facts

Originally Posted by Definition of FOE
: one who has personal enmity for another
a : an enemy in war
Neither has a personal enmity for each other - she tries to save him and he sees no other way out, he didn't set out to hurt Buffy, his goal was something else entirely - she was incidental. He's not an enemy of hers in any war until he's a vampire.

B.) Lots of people cause emotional anguish without being a foe - if we're going to count him, then Joyce could be a foe - she caused Buffy a lot of emotional anguish - so did Cordelia repeatedly - so did Giles by allowing the watcher's council to do their whole 18 years old test - was he a foe in that episode? - the situation is similar - both made agreements that put Buffy in danger for their own reasons but their individual goal was NOT specifically to harm Buffy.

C.) You are very right here, but as a vampire he would be a foe to her.

And...um... I apologize for the completely inappropriate Dawn comment. She's my favorite character ever! Nevermind my answer to 20.
Old 01-16-13, 02:56 AM
Banned by request

Those are good arguments. I'm still on the fence. Let's see what the other players think. If I could get some more responses on Billy Fordham, that would be great.

In the absence of further comments, I'll sleep on it and make a ruling in the morning as we start back up between 10:30 and 11 AM PST. Fair?
Old 01-16-13, 03:00 AM
Banned by request

Well I say, not only is he wrong, but he should be penalized by 100 points!
Old 01-16-13, 03:00 AM
Banned by request

Dawn, it has got to be past your bedtime by now. Hell, it's past mine but I'm stuck at work.
Old 01-16-13, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

It's Buffy sheep, not Scooby Doo sheep. The context was clearly the Scooby gang within Buffy The Vampire Slayer, not Scooby Doo.

If you had picked Daphne I might have considered it, since Sarah Michelle Gellar played her in the movie. But Velma? No.
funny enough I thought about Daphne, But I think Linda Cardellini is way hotter than Gellar
Old 01-16-13, 08:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mhepburn20
A.) agreed but as a foe to Buffy? Maybe not a nice guy and he puts himself above her but a foe? To use some of Art's old dictionary facts

Neither has a personal enmity for each other - she tries to save him and he sees no other way out, he didn't set out to hurt Buffy, his goal was something else entirely - she was incidental. He's not an enemy of hers in any war until he's a vampire.

B.) Lots of people cause emotional anguish without being a foe - if we're going to count him, then Joyce could be a foe - she caused Buffy a lot of emotional anguish - so did Cordelia repeatedly - so did Giles by allowing the watcher's council to do their whole 18 years old test - was he a foe in that episode? - the situation is similar - both made agreements that put Buffy in danger for their own reasons but their individual goal was NOT specifically to harm Buffy.

C.) You are very right here, but as a vampire he would be a foe to her.

And...um... I apologize for the completely inappropriate Dawn comment. She's my favorite character ever! Nevermind my answer to 20.
Those are good arguments. I'm still on the fence. Let's see what the other players think. If I could get some more responses on Billy Fordham, that would be great.

In the absence of further comments, I'll sleep on it and make a ruling in the morning as we start back up between 10:30 and 11 AM PST. Fair?
Well, his goal was to be a vampire, sure, but he was trying to feed Buffy to Spike as payment to get what he wanted. If I am deliberately willing and actively trying to kill you to get something I want, seems like a foe to me. Doesn't matter why I am doing it, I am still willing to kill. There may not be any enmity on Buffy's side, but there sure seems to be some on Ford's side.

Also, there are other entries listed that would fall under the same category. For instance:

Gruenshtahler Twins - They were just paid assassins trying to win a contest. No enmity there.

April & Ted - Can robots have enmity towards someone? Even Buffy didn't think April was 'bad', just misguided. April didn't care about Buffy, she was just trying to get Warren back.

Dark Willow - Somewhat similar to Ford in many regards, just different in scope. Ford is dying, wants to become a vampire to live. Willing to have Buffy killed (as well as the rest of the people in the building) to get what he wants. Willow is insane with grief and willing to do anything, including destroy the world, to end her pain. In neither case does Buffy hold any enmity towards them, she wants to save them, but also has to stop them from getting what they want.

Nogura

Last edited by Nogura; 01-16-13 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-16-13, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, hey! Look what happened while I was gone.
Old 01-16-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

While I am sad that I didn't know the game was starting early (rookie Sheepmaster mistake, Supermallet, I am not pleased) I am also sad that I am doing so poorly. Although I got a couple of Unique Reverse Sheep answers, which never happens, so

Also, Spike? Fuck you all. Spike is the worst character in the franchise.
Old 01-16-13, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nogura
Gruenshtahler Twins - They were just paid assassins trying to win a contest. No enmity there.

April & Ted - Can robots have enmity towards someone? Even Buffy didn't think April was 'bad', just misguided. April didn't care about Buffy, she was just trying to get Warren back.

Dark Willow - Somewhat similar to Ford in many regards, just different in scope. Ford is dying, wants to become a vampire to live. Willing to have Buffy killed (as well as the rest of the people in the building) to get what he wants. Willow is insane with grief and willing to do anything, including destroy the world, to end her pain. In neither case does Buffy hold any enmity towards them, she wants to save them, but also has to stop them from getting what they want.

Nogura
The twins are vampires - she is the slayer - they are enemies in war

Once Warren said he loved Buffy, April's goal then became specifically to kill Buffy in a what the wiki says was a jealous rage so I would say she felt enmity. Again there doesn't appear to be anything that shows Ford had that for Buffy

Dark Willow's goal was to destroy the world - buffy's job is to save it - they were enemies in war once Willow began turning towards raising demonic temples to end the world. Also your next post is completely invalid because our sheepmaster established in the FIRST post with the rules that witches did not count as supernatural - it's literally spelled out.
Old 01-16-13, 11:38 AM

Also Dawn is on the side that agrees with Willow being a big meanie.

Old 01-16-13, 11:41 AM

You're partly right. Enemies in war, yes; vampires, no.

Dark Willow's goal was to destroy the world - buffy's job is to save it - they were enemies in war once Willow began turning towards raising demonic temples to end the world. Also your next post is completely invalid because our sheepmaster established in the FIRST post with the rules that witches did not count as supernatural - it's literally spelled out.
I second this.
Old 01-16-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, after thinking about it, I challenge Dark Willow as well. She is a witch, which to me would fall under the heading of supernatural. Magic certainly exists outside the laws of nature.

Nogura
In the Buffy universe a witch must "learn magic" and does not start with an innate magical ability. You could argue that a psychic might be supernatural since they are born with some basic ability, but not so much for magic users.
Old 01-16-13, 12:24 PM

Once Warren said he loved Buffy, April's goal then became specifically to kill Buffy in a what the wiki says was a jealous rage so I would say she felt enmity. Again there doesn't appear to be anything that shows Ford had that for Buffy

You are correct on the witch issue. Somehow I must have missed that while reading the post.

For the rest, Ford was willing to and actively trying to essentially feed Buffy and a building full of innocent, albeit naive, people to vampires in order to earn his 'reward'. You wouldn't consider that being 'at war'? And, if you are willing to sacrifice a friend for your own benefit, you don't see enmity in that? Sure, it doesn't show the hatred part, but you sure as hell get 'ill will' out of it.

Definition of ENMITY
: positive, active, and typically mutual hatred or ill will
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/enmity

(Note, it says typically mutual, not always)
Old 01-16-13, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob
In the Buffy universe a witch must "learn magic" and does not start with an innate magical ability. You could argue that a psychic might be supernatural since they are born with some basic ability, but not so much for magic users.
I thought the rule was that you had to have the 'potential' to learn magic before you could be taught. Maybe I am misremembering as it has been several years since I have watched the series.
Old 01-16-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the rule was that you had to have the 'potential' to learn magic before you could be taught. Maybe I am misremembering as it has been several years since I have watched the series.
I was thinking that as well, but I think it was more of an aptitude thing. Just like someone might be built perfectly for swimming or have a good mind for remembering numbers. Everyone from Xander, Willow, to Giles have cast spells from books (didn't Dawn do it once as well?), and they are all varied in personality.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.