Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S8E03) -- "Monsters" -- 11/5/17

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-17, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
The Walking Dead (S8E03) -- "Monsters" -- 11/5/17

On the all-new episode, "Monsters," conflict with the Saviors leads to unintended consequences for the Hilltop, the Kingdom, and Alexandria. Morality proves tricky in wartime.

Episode 3 of 16

OMG, I have to know what's happening next with Rick and Morales. Can't wait.
Old 11-05-17, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Walking Dead (S8E03) -- "Monsters" -- 11/5/17

I don't think I've ever been so let down so early in a season of TWD as I am so far this year. I'm hoping that changes soon.
Old 11-05-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya

OMG, I have to know what's happening next with Rick and Morales. Can't wait.
Is this the end of Rick??????????

OMG!
Old 11-05-17, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this show is so gay

but seriously, I've only stuck with this show the last few seasons to see how much of a trainwreck it can continue to be .... tonight I think is finally my jumping off point

this show has so overworn its stay
Old 11-05-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
this show is so gay

but seriously, I've only stuck with this show the last few seasons to see how much of a trainwreck it can continue to be .... tonight I think is finally my jumping off point

this show has so overworn its stay
I actually just have it on in the background now. My tv is in another room but I can see it from where I sit when I'm on PSN.

You really don't need to actually sit and watch it. So little of the dialogue is important and of course the story moves along at a snails pace.

Only episodes you kind of need to pay attention to are the premieres and the finales.
Old 11-05-17, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I liked this one a lot more than the last two, which probably had a lot to do with the ludicrous firefight finally ending. But the Jesus behavior and his insistence on bringing a platoon of Negan's crack troops to come live inside the Hilltop turning Maggie into the commandant of a POW camp was beyond ridiculous.
Old 11-05-17, 09:35 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

I guess the group is struggling with turning evil. Problem is this plot has been done on this show like 10 times already. I guess if you forget that fact this wasn't a bad episode.
Old 11-05-17, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
I guess the group is struggling with turning evil. Problem is this plot has been done on this show like 10 times already.
Yup. That's what this show does - recycles themes over and over.
Old 11-05-17, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Daryl has become the smartest character on the show.

"Yep, I knew who he was", and shooting the guy in the head near the end, just because.

And in both cases, all of a sudden, Rick seemed shocked by his actions. I fear they are telegraphing a major divide between everyone in the group, which is something no one wants to see again.
Old 11-06-17, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Daryl has become the smartest character on the show.

"Yep, I knew who he was", and shooting the guy in the head near the end, just because.

And in both cases, all of a sudden, Rick seemed shocked by his actions. I fear they are telegraphing a major divide between everyone in the group, which is something no one wants to see again.

(sigh...)Yup, that's where they're going. Daryl absolutely has the right idea. I don't like saying this, but this is war. In war you shoot and kill people ESPECIALLY people who have guns to your head.

I understand Paul's point. When the war is over, they will need to learn to live together. But you have to get to the point where the war is OVER first. You can't expect them to just change sides. They aren't all Eugene.

As stupid as I thought the whole thing with Morales was, there was one sentence, and only one, that was important. He said Rick was a monster. That's what the rank and file of the Saviors have been told. Sure, they know Negan is evil but the devil you know is better than the one you don't. All most of them know about Alexandria is that Rick's group has killed their friends and families. They have no way of knowing that Rick doesn't torture his own people, doesn't make them work for points, and doesn't rob and murder people everywhere he goes. To expect those Saviors to just drop their weapons and live peaceably with someone they've been told is a monster is too much.

So, Daryl is right and Paul is right (but annoying). I was really rooting for Morgan to kill him. Rick, Maggie, and Ezekiel need to stop speechifying about how "tomorrow is ours", and set some rules of engagement for their soldiers.

Last edited by smorbie; 11-06-17 at 11:45 AM. Reason: why didn't they tell me chemo brain would affect my grammar?
Old 11-06-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ha ha -- The gun fight was like watching the A-Team from the 80's.

I too wish they would spend an episode or two from the perspective of Negan -Rick did attack one of their camps, unprovoked, etc. We should get to see their reaction and perspective - the Saviors are still a band of looters, but it would help us understand why they want to fight Rick and not just use this opportunity to escape / jump sides.
Old 11-06-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Did anyone else cringe at the performance of the actor who played Morales? It really felt like he was acting for the first time - especially the first part at the beginning of the episode.
Old 11-06-17, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Had to laugh at the zombies rolling down the hill. Jesus is real annoying now.
Old 11-06-17, 09:42 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Perfect comparison.

And yeah, Shane shooting the Morales guy was really the only good point of this episode. "Do you know who that was??" "Yeah, so? Doesn't matter one bit."
Old 11-06-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Daryl
Old 11-06-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was interesting that Morales mentioned a bunch of season 1 names and how they don't matter to him anymore, and failed to mention the name of the guy that eventually killed him.
Old 11-06-17, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.

I too wish they would spend an episode or two from the perspective of Negan -Rick did attack one of their camps, unprovoked, etc. We should get to see their reaction and perspective - the Saviors are still a band of looters, but it would help us understand why they want to fight Rick and not just use this opportunity to escape / jump sides.
Whoa, Nellie! I don't want to see an ep from Negan's perspective. Ever. If they don't kill him soon, I going to break the glass on my tv and go after him myself.

But, I wouldn't mind seeing one from one of the other Savior's points of view. The only problem is it would be a bottle episode, and most people hate those. If it were just a couple of scenes nestled within a few episodes to five enough flavor of the other side, I think that would be helpful.
Old 11-06-17, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Coral
Did anyone else cringe at the performance of the actor who played Morales? It really felt like he was acting for the first time - especially the first part at the beginning of the episode.
No, I was trying to ignore him. I've had a headache from the constant eye rolling about his being back and spend most of his onscreen time looking for some aspirin.
Old 11-06-17, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by dom56
Had to laugh at the zombies rolling down the hill. Jesus is real annoying now.
It was a delightful Z Nation moment, wasn't it? Now, if a giant wheel of cheese would roll down the road taking out a herd, that would be great.

I've got to catch of my ZN. I somehow lost it last year, and am behind. Oh, Netflix....?
Old 11-06-17, 11:53 AM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

This weekend I watched the first two Walking Dead episodes with my son. It sure put the show's decline into focus. Season 1 certainly had its faults, but the writing and direction (thank you, Frank Darabont) was miles above what we're seeing now.
Old 11-06-17, 02:45 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Daryl
Wow--that was a real weird slip on my part, so thanks.
Old 11-06-17, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by funkyryno
This weekend I watched the first two Walking Dead episodes with my son. It sure put the show's decline into focus. Season 1 certainly had its faults, but the writing and direction (thank you, Frank Darabont) was miles above what we're seeing now.
I agree. Whenever I'm bingeing to get ready for the new season, I always notice the fall off in quality from season and even season two to the current season. I don't know how much of that is because the show is older now, and the people are more settled, or what. But it's definitely a better show the first season or so.
Old 11-06-17, 04:12 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

without a doubt, the most annoying character on this show, of which there are many, is the King. Jesus fucking Christ dude, its been like 3 years since the zombie outbreak and you're out there bossing people around like a serving wench at Medieval Times.

Also, Morgan's turn from Kung Fu pacifist to The Terminator was jarringly abrupt.

Also, this show sucks.
Old 11-06-17, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by TGM

Also, Morgan's turn from Kung Fu pacifist to The Terminator was jarringly abrupt. .
When did Jesus turn into Morpheus from the Matrix?

Morgan spent years training with that staff and now Jesus can just best him at will!?!? WTF

Just turn Jesus loose on the Saviors - problem solved - ha ha
Old 11-06-17, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Couldn't help but notice .. he really struggled to deliver his lines convincingly. Almost felt bad for the actor. Now we know why they disappeared that character.

The way this show recycles plot points - Jesus not wanting to kill the enemy - is just so annoying. And every episode needs multiple monologues. Holy shit you can just feel the desperation of the writers to fill the page.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.