Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Penny Dreadful (Showtime, 5/11/2014) -- Season 1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-14, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Penny Dreadful (S1E07) -- "Possession" -- 6/22/14

Over the course of four harrowing weeks, Sir Malcolm, Ethan, Dr. Frankenstein and Sembene do everything they can to save Vanessa from what's within her.

Written by: John Logan
Directed By: James Hawes

Episode 7 of 8

Next week is the season finale

Previous Threads:

Episode 6
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...6-15-14-a.html

Episode 5
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...-6-8-14-a.html

Episode 4
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...6-01-14-a.html

Episode 3
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...5-25-14-a.html

Episode 2
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...5-18-14-a.html

Episode 1
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/619...5-11-14-a.html
Old 06-22-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Penny Dreadful (S1E07) -- "Possession" -- 6/22/14

sure hope Emo Frankenwhine doesn't run in and snap Vanessa's neck, you know, just cause.
Old 06-23-14, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The gunslinger saves the day without using guns. Good episode.
Old 06-23-14, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

That was like his drop the mic moment, opening the door, putting on his coat, and strutting out into the snow like he owns the town. But why not try that sooner? He could've saved the lot of them a week of wrestling with demonic sweaty Eva Green..oh wait I see, ah right.

Can't wait for Wolfie to show up and tangle with the Monster. Probably gonna have to wait til next season for that dangit.
Old 06-23-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
The gunslinger saves the day without using guns. Good episode.
So he's a gunslinger, a part-time werewolf, and a part-time exorcist?

Really want to see his backstory now

I'd also love to see him perform another exorcism while he's a werewolf!

Last edited by Kmical; 06-23-14 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-23-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

This show is like ordering a crab cake from a cheap store. Far more filler than you'd want.
Old 06-23-14, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Eva Green is seriously mind blowning. I haven't been this floored by a performance since Breaking Bad.
Old 06-23-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched the episode awhile ago and finally confirmation on Ethan. Eva Green is the best actor on the show. I wonder if we will get some backstory on Ethan in the finale next week.
Old 06-23-14, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
This show is like ordering a crab cake from a cheap store. Far more filler than you'd want.
My god, really.

I've long enjoyed Eva Green. Dalton is great, as is Hartnett. The premise? Supernatural late Victorian era? Holy crap, right up my alley.

This, however, has been an extraordinary - incomprehensibly so, really - disappointment. I don't recall any show in my life that, in the first season, a first season of what, 8 bloody episodes? Felt the need to create entirely self-contained problems each episode in order to have any show at all.

Look at episode 1 to now. Actually, make that episode 2 - let's exclude the pilot/Frankenstein plot there. From 2-7 not a damn thing has changed, happened, progressed... anything! I don't understand it myself - they've only got eight freaking episodes. There's Frankenstein's monster, Billie Piper, Dorian Gray; they could further pursue any of those plotlines and characters.

Indeed, the Frankenstein's monster subplot and the episode highlighting his existence was exceptional. I thought after that, despite the show dragging before, it had found itself and things were getting good. Next episode... right back to slow, boring, convoluted nothingness.

I actually thought as this episode ended, "They've got Dalton's daughter, not much else... that's why they're dragging it out. That's what the show is about, and they can't progress much there without resolving it entirely." Then I realized that this world has about as much different story and mythologies to draw from as you could imagine. My god, Frankenstein, vampires, Dorian Gray, possession, demons, the anti-christ, Egyptian Gods and doomsday - plus the Victorian era and a supernatural world?!? They almost have the opposite problem, too much for one show!

Yet episode after episode it's dragged out, painstakingly slow and pretentious character drama involving sex and betrayal? Spending an entire goddamned episode with one character in bed possessed that only popped up, only became an issue, at the end of the prior episode? All that resolved neatly after an hour... for what? Where was the payoff? "Ooh, we know where she is now!"?!? I needed to spend an hour with Eva Green acting out of her mind - in the first season's seventh episode out of just eight - just so we know where his daughter is now? You've gotta be kidding me.

The finale better blow my bloody socks off, or this show will have absolutely lost me just the same as if it'd been canceled come next year.

It's funny, actually - when this and Salem premiered, I watched this straightaway while putting off Salem's pilot for several weeks. Man, was I wrong there. The creative staff for PD need to go take a look at Salem to see how a show gets done vis-a-vis advancing the story/plots and, you know, actually having stuff happen once in a while.
Old 06-24-14, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually there has been progression in the knowledge of the situations that each of those characters are going through; you can't exclude the pilot because that was Victor Frankenstein's progression from careless to horrified creator after seeing Proteus ripped in half by the Monster. Then you have Vanessa's regression from being the one who was organizing the team to becoming the hindrance.

No, this show is amazing and with Mad Men not being on, is easily the best TV show on the air.
Old 06-24-14, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well this was one of the weaker episodes, but it was still good. I can see why people may get bored with this rather easily, but that for me is simply the story filling in the history of these characters. If the characters are strong in any TV or movie then i am happy to find out more about who they are, their motivations and their background. This first season feels like it s all one long build up providing the viewer with a good look at the backgrounds of some of the main characters. I am positive that in the second season we will get more on the gunslinger and Daltons character. I did feel the gunslinger doing the exorcism at the end was a bit left field. Maybe they are trying to give him a background akin to Silver Bullet where the werewolf was once a priest.

I know the show has many elements that some may feel adds too many ingredients but i feel this is smart. The avenues that are available in future seasons is really open. I am sure the Dracula story will continue, the devil possession fight for the soul of Miss Ives will still play out i am sure. They keep making references to Daltons travel in Africa and the Egyptian connection so i am sure we might get some Mummy and Zombie/Voo-doo elements to play around with.

The story as not advanced a huge amount (they are still looking for the daughter), but i feel like they have opened the avenues to individual stories progressing (The Bride is certainly coming) so i am still in for the ride. I am sure the final episode will be a corker.

Eva Green has really been incredible throughout, and the rest of the cast has been pretty incredible and well cast. Since the first time i saw Eva i felt she was one of the best actresses out there, and this show hammers that home. She has a regalness and authenticity to her acting that makes it feel natural and that she is not actually acting at all. She deserves awards for her portrayal.
Old 06-24-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

The latest episode continues to add more pieces to already a muggy puzzle but Eva Green continues to showcase her acting abilities. I felt like I was watching the deleted scenes of The Exorcist. But Dalton's character just got more mysterious at the end. I don't think he's just a simple "Gunslinger" as it's been presented. His past is becoming even more checkered.

But the previews of the season final left me on the edge....
Old 06-29-14, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Penny Dreadful (S1E08) -- Season Finale -- "Grand Guignol" -- 6/29/14

After a vision of the Grand Guignol, Vanessa, Sir Malcolm, Ethan, Dr. Frankenstein and Sembene explore an empty theater - only to be confronted by their worst nightmares. Season finale.

Written by: John Logan
Directed By: James Hawes

Episode 8 of 8

Renewed for a 10 episode 2nd season, which will air in 2015

Previous Threads:

Episode 7
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...6-22-14-a.html

Episode 6
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...6-15-14-a.html

Episode 5
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...-6-8-14-a.html

Episode 4
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...6-01-14-a.html

Episode 3
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...5-25-14-a.html

Episode 2
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...5-18-14-a.html

Episode 1
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/619...5-11-14-a.html
Old 06-29-14, 11:57 PM

Re: Penny Dreadful (S1E08) -- Season Finale -- "Grand Guignol" -- 6/29/14

Solid finale in my opinion. A couple of things the audience predicted did come true. But I was surprised by what happened in the bar and I predict next season werewolf hunters will appear. It also looks like the Dorian Gray storyline will be further developed next season and it was a letdown that we didn't see a certain thing this season.
Old 06-30-14, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still astonished how little it felt the story progressed. I know it did, but it just felt like 8 episodes of filler.

I liked the show though. I thought the scene in the bar was predictable. I'm just surprised that with as many people in the bar that he just walked out no problem.
Old 06-30-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I thought it was a good season finale. It resolved the Mina/Vanessa/Sir Malcolm storyline but set up future seasons with battle the master (Ethan's father?). It established the bride of Frankenstein's monster which will set up nicely for conflict between Ethan and Caliban and Victor. They can explore the relationship more of Dorian and Vanessa which people are speculating are Amunet/Amun-Ra. They also established Ethan as a werewolf.

Last edited by chowderhead; 06-30-14 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-30-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It ended the season fine, however i feel that it opens up what is to come a little too much. So we have Dracula still out there, the werewolf has finally appeared, the bride is going to be made...a little too much information already for what will happen in season 2. I do still think its been a really excellent show and i have faith that they will keep all story strands interesting and hope they don't make it too convoluted.
Old 07-01-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That was awesome. Looks like we were all right about the whole Bride of Frankenstein and wolfman predictions. Bring on season two!
Old 07-01-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It was hard to be wrong the way they were telegraphing it.
Old 07-02-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
That was awesome. Looks like we were all right about the whole Bride of Frankenstein and wolfman predictions. Bring on season two!
Agree thought this season was great!!!
Old 07-04-14, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I just marathoned it and thought it was an interesting take on those classic stories. Eva Green was great in what had to be an exhausting portrayal. Can you imagine having to shoot that for days and do retakes of scenes like those???

One thing bothered me about this episode. Billie Piper's character is basically dying and can hardly breathe before Ethan goes off to help with Vanessa. Caring for Vanessa during her possession was supposed to take weeks, so who was looking after poor Brona? Just a nitpick...
Old 08-15-14, 06:14 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Just watched this last night. When Malcolm said about already having a daughter, did he literally mean Vanessa is his daughter? Since we know he was messing around with her mom.
Old 08-16-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Just watched this last night. When Malcolm said about already having a daughter, did he literally mean Vanessa is his daughter? Since we know he was messing around with her mom.
Yup I have suspected that as well.
Old 06-07-15, 01:53 PM

just finished up season one the last two days. solid show!
Old 11-10-17, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Penny Dreadful (Showtime, 5/11/2014) -- Season 1 Thread

Finally got around to this and binged the first season on Netflix. Great to see Billy Piper in there. I was somewhat lamenting the fact that the "Dark Universe" is most likely dead due to The Mummy bombing at the box office. Hell, Penny Dreadful IS the dark universe. Too bad it was canceled after only 3 seasons. Hollywood needs to take a hint from this. They won't, though. On to season 2!