Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Penny Dreadful (Showtime, 5/11/2014) -- Season 1 Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Penny Dreadful (Showtime, 5/11/2014) -- Season 1 Thread

Old 06-06-14, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Penny Dreadful (Ep 104) -- "Demimonde" -- 6/01/14

Wow, this show gets better each week. Some [email protected]$#%tard told me Josh Hartnett died this episode before I saw it...well a little bit of me did.

So glad it was picked up for another season really enjoying this.
Old 06-06-14, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thrilled this got picked up for season two. It's simply fantastic. Although, I was not quite expecting that ending. What the hell in Dorian?
Old 06-07-14, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
Thrilled this got picked up for season two. It's simply fantastic. Although, I was not quite expecting that ending. What the hell in Dorian?
I'm pretty sure Josh Hartnett was in Dorian.

But are you asking "What the hell is Dorian?" If so, google "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde.
Old 06-07-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well played sir. And thanks.
Old 06-08-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Penny Dreadful (S1E05) -- "Closer than Sisters" -- 6/8/14

Vanessa recalls her past and the events that ultimately lead to Mina's disappearance.

Episode 5 of 8

In case you missed it, this was renewed for a 10 episode 2nd season, which will air in 2015

Previous threads:

Episode 4
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...6-01-14-a.html

Episode 3
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...5-25-14-a.html

Episode 2
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...5-18-14-a.html

Episode 1
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/619...5-11-14-a.html
Old 06-08-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Penny Dreadful (S1E05) -- "Closer than Sisters" -- 6/8/14

This was a good backstory episode for Vanessa and Sir Malcolm and one scene creeped me out a bit.
Old 06-09-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not gotten round to this episode yet, but this series is blowing me away with how consistently excellent it has been so far. I do get the feeling that somewhere down the line we will be seeing...

Spoiler:
Wolfman vs Frankensteins Monster.....fighting over their love for the Bride.
Old 06-10-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched it last night and pretty good episode. I like the fact that they are telling the back stories of each character in very interesting ways.

Spoiler:
'The scene were Vanessa is in bed getting shagged by the devil was creepier than anything from most horror movies released in the last 10 years.

On a side note, i am loving the soundtrack to this show. Really top notch and suits it perfectly.
Old 06-10-14, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Watched it last night and pretty good episode. I like the fact that they are telling the back stories of each character in very interesting ways.

Spoiler:
The scene were Vanessa is in bed getting shagged by the devil was creepier than anything from most horror movies released in the last 10 years.
Well, it had a pretty profound effect on her mother
Old 06-10-14, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seriously, this is has been so consistently awesome so far its incredible. I can't believe there are only three episodes left.
Old 06-11-14, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seriously, this is has been so consistently awesome so far its incredible. I can't believe there are only three episodes left.
I totally agree. The production values on this show are really high. The sets, the music, the acting, and especially the script itself all blow me away at how good they are. I know that Game of Thrones seems to be the pinnacle of TV production for many at the moment, but to be honest there are times during that show where i become bored. This show has been gripping from the start and has not let up. Its shocks are not cheap and are used to advance the story and there is almost nothing to critique in the show.

Well......the one small problem i have is Billie Piper. Her Irish accent is pretty terrible and i think she is the only slight weak link. However, i still feel that her role will become more interesting and i can ignore the small issue. Bring on Season 2, 3, 4......but end it at a reasonable amount. These shows can start off amazing and often they run out of steam after a few seasons and then go bad real fast until they are put out of their misery.
Old 06-11-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Didn't see the hot scene at the end with Dorian Grey coming.
Old 06-11-14, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I totally agree. The production values on this show are really high. The sets, the music, the acting, and especially the script itself all blow me away at how good they are. I know that Game of Thrones seems to be the pinnacle of TV production for many at the moment, but to be honest there are times during that show where i become bored. This show has been gripping from the start and has not let up. Its shocks are not cheap and are used to advance the story and there is almost nothing to critique in the show.

Well......the one small problem i have is Billie Piper. Her Irish accent is pretty terrible and i think she is the only slight weak link. However, i still feel that her role will become more interesting and i can ignore the small issue. Bring on Season 2, 3, 4......but end it at a reasonable amount. These shows can start off amazing and often they run out of steam after a few seasons and then go bad real fast until they are put out of their misery.
I agree with you on Billie Piper being a weak link. I think maybe 4 or 5 seasons could work for this show.
Old 06-12-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Penny Dreadful -- "Seance" -- 5/18/14

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Was it as hard for everyone else to understand what the hell Billie Piper was saying as it was for me?
Hell yeah! She was mixing a southern drawl with a bad Irish accent.. We both couldn't understand a word.

This episode was slow and I was kind of bored. The ending was great, and the seance scene was well acted.

I hope this picks up so I look forward to watching each episode, and it does not feel like 20minutes of content in a 60minute package
Old 06-12-14, 12:13 PM

Re: Penny Dreadful -- "Seance" -- 5/18/14

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ. View Post
Hell yeah! She was mixing a southern drawl with a bad Irish accent.. We both couldn't understand a word.

This episode was slow and I was kind of bored. The ending was great, and the seance scene was well acted.

I hope this picks up so I look forward to watching each episode, and it does not feel like 20minutes of content in a 60minute package
It's a little sad that I need to turn on closed captioning for a show where all of the characters are speaking English.

Last edited by Kmical; 06-13-14 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-14-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Penny Dreadful (S1E06) -- "What Death Can Join Together" -- 6/15/14

Vanessa's latest vision leads Sir Malcolm, Ethan and Sembene to explore a plague ship in search of Mina. Meanwhile, Van Helsing reveals to Dr. Frankenstein more details about the creature that has taken Mina. Later, Vanessa's night with Dorian unlocks something dark within her.

Episode 6 of 8

Previous Threads:

Episode 5
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...-6-8-14-a.html

Episode 4
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...6-01-14-a.html

Episode 3
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...5-25-14-a.html

Episode 2
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...5-18-14-a.html

Episode 1
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/619...5-11-14-a.html
Old 06-15-14, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just caught up with this episode. I'm glad to hear generally positive things here, because I feared people would be complaining that it was boring since it was: a) a flashback, b) didn't have much in the way of action and violence, and c) focused mainly on one character.

This episode and the Frankenstein episodes are delivering a style of atmospheric Victorian gothic horror that doesn't get made much in recent years. Hopefully the series never loses that tone, even though they'll have to deliver on the occasional monster-showdown.

I'm guessing we're going to get what essentially boils down to a 55-minute retelling of "The Picture of Dorian Gray" in another flashback episode. Which I'm quite looking forward to. While the 1945 film is quintessential in many ways, it was hampered by the standards of the time ... forced to skirt away from Gray's utter decadence and evil. Though what we've seen of Gray in this series, he doesn't seem quite the villain that he was in other portrayals. Though that's still up the air.
Old 06-15-14, 10:51 PM

Re: Penny Dreadful (S1E06) -- "What Death Can Join Together" -- 6/15/14

New candidate for the bride and Vanessa is possessed again. I'm enjoying this show and I'm wondering how the last two episodes will go.
Old 06-16-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another solid episode. Couple of WTF moments as well. I am wondering if there will be some kind of resolution by the end of season 1 for the Mina storyline. There are plenty of avenues that still need exploring in subsequent seasons.

Spoiler:
With the whole Egyptian aspect i could see a possible appearance from the Mummy, and of course its a matter of time before the Wolfman and the Bride appear. I get a feeling we might very well see a little of both before the end of this first season. Be great to see other characters like the Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde, maybe even get some Lovecraft and Cthullu in there.
Old 06-16-14, 12:13 PM

Quite the entrance by Vanessa at the end
Old 06-17-14, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was actually kinda bored with this one.....then the last ten minutes happened and absolutely floored me. That was a hell of a welcome home at the end! I was surprised to see the Frankenstein monster kill off Van Helsing though. I was expecting him to become a larger part of the story with the whole Mina Murray thing.
Old 06-17-14, 12:24 PM

I know I am in the (vast?) minority, but emo-Frankenwhine is absolutely ruining this show for me...
Old 06-18-14, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by van der graaf View Post
I know I am in the (vast?) minority, but emo-Frankenwhine is absolutely ruining this show for me...
Yeah I have found him to be grating at times. I did like him in episode 3 when he told his story.
Old 06-18-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was actually kinda bored with this one.....then the last ten minutes happened and absolutely floored me. That was a hell of a welcome home at the end! I was surprised to see the Frankenstein monster kill off Van Helsing though. I was expecting him to become a larger part of the story with the whole Mina Murray thing.
I like that this show has a slower pace. Makes it feel like more of a classic atmospheric gothic horror story. There are other shows for action-horror.

I had the same response to Van Helsing. That character is such a fixture in the Dracula mythos I was sure he was going to be sticking around for a while

Do you think most viewers are aware of who Dorian Gray is? The character was in a classic novel and appeared in numerous movies and television shows. While nowhere near the level of Dracula, Victor Frankenstein, and Van Helsing, I kind of assumed most people at least heard of him. But this show is stretching out the portrait reveal like its some big mystery or something.

I'm looking forward to an African expedition flashback ... sounds like some serious shit went down there (including the death of Mina's brother). And that manservant's backstory must come from there as well (either from Egypt or a different African expedition).
Old 06-19-14, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Originally Posted by van der graaf View Post

No, I'm completely with you. With his introduction in killing off the other Monster that I got invested with feeling like it was a lame cop out. But now the random nut sack of an action with van helsing... yeah, fuck this show.

The slow burn is just a little too slow for me. Then when you think it's getting somewhere and bam! junk shot again.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.