The Mandalorian -- Star Wars -- News, rumors, etc. -- possible spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
re: The Mandalorian -- Star Wars -- News, rumors, etc. -- possible spoilers

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Doctor Who does it.

Though I really wish they'd give the Christmas Specials a rest and start doing Halloween Specials.
That's more of a British television show tradition rather than a Dr. Who thing.
Old 08-06-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the UK even have Halloween? I wouldn't expect a UK show to do a special for a holiday they don't celebrate.
Old 08-06-16, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Does the UK even have Halloween?
Yes.
Old 08-06-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Does the UK even have Halloween? I wouldn't expect a UK show to do a special for a holiday they don't celebrate.
Do we have it in the Uk? It started in the fucking UK.
Old 11-09-17, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Looks like we are gonna get this, on their new streaming service!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...ion-tv-series/

During a Disney earnings call today, CEO Bob Iger announced plans for a live-action Star Wars TV series and a new trilogy likely coming after 2020.

The series will apparently be part of the previously announced Disney streaming service. In August, Disney unveiled those plans after it acquired a video-streaming company called BAM Tech. Currently, Disney has an exclusive deal with Netflix for streaming its films and TV series; that deal began in 2012 and expanded last year.

Iger shared a handful of original projects in-progress for Disney's streaming service, however. The first Star Wars live-action TV series rightfully garners headlines, but the CEO also noted series based on Monsters Inc., High School Musical, and a new Marvel property would be coming, too. Further details like creative teams or time frames were not shared regarding those projects.

The other major news impacting a galaxy far, far away centers on a familiar name to the Star Wars-universe. Iger said that Rian Johnson, director and screenplay writer for The Last Jedi, has agreed to a deal to create a new Star Wars trilogy down the road (presumably after the current trilogy wraps with the JJ Abrams' led Episode IX in 2019). In a statement to Entertainment Weekly, Lucasfilm said this project would be “separate from the episodic Skywalker saga... Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.”

This is a developing story. Disney's earning call is on-going, but several reporters have been sharing announcements as they happen including The Wall Street Journal's Ben Fritz and MediaPost's Alex Weprin. We'll update this post as more information becomes available.
Old 11-09-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/9/16...-marvel-disney

Yup, yet another streaming service for the cheap bastards at DVD Talk to reluctantly have to subscribe to.

Oh boy, this is going to go so well with the Star Wars nerds everywhere. The Star Trek nerds are already livid enough with Discovery.

Guessing most will say...."I already pay for Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. Enough is enough" Why can't this air for free on ABC or Disney channel?
Old 11-09-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I'm an unconvinced that Star Wars works on television.

From watching Clone Wars and Rebels, the day-to-day lives and activities of this universe don't really work for me. It either turns into soap opera, or it becomes repetitive. I'm watching Rebels now, and Lothal and Mandalore seem like really mundane places, and they get boring week after week.

I also find it a bit off-putting that characters like Kanan and Ezra have more screen time than Luke, Han, and Leia.

Star Wars seems to work best in small, grandiose doses.
Old 11-11-17, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm an unconvinced that Star Wars works on television.

From watching Clone Wars and Rebels, the day-to-day lives and activities of this universe don't really work for me. It either turns into soap opera, or it becomes repetitive. I'm watching Rebels now, and Lothal and Mandalore seem like really mundane places, and they get boring week after week.
Outside of the power elite and highly populated worlds like Coruscant, life in the Star Wars universe seems pretty hardscrabble. Space flight has not translated into a high quality of living on most worlds, there seems to be a distinct lack of creature comforts, access to media, etc.
Old 11-13-17, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/9/16...-marvel-disney

Yup, yet another streaming service for the cheap bastards at DVD Talk to reluctantly have to subscribe to.

Oh boy, this is going to go so well with the Star Wars nerds everywhere. The Star Trek nerds are already livid enough with Discovery.

Guessing most will say...."I already pay for Netflix, Hulu and Amazon. Enough is enough" Why can't this air for free on ABC or Disney channel?
I refuse to buy CBS All Access because it's just freaking CBS, but if Disney can do something that has *all* of their library of animated movies, shows and shorts, that would be worth subscribing to.
Old 02-06-18, 05:45 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

'Star Wars' TV Series: Disney Developing "a Few" for Its Streaming Service

Fresh off of news that Game of Thrones creators/showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss would be creating a new trilogy of Star Wars feature films, Disney CEO Bob Iger told investors Tuesday that the company is developing more than one Star Wars TV series.

"We are developing not just one, but a few Star Wars series specifically for the Disney direct to consumer app. We've mentioned that and we are close to being able to reveal at least one of the interties that is developing that for us. Because the deal isn't completely closed, we can't be specific about that," he said during an earnings call Tuesday. "I think you'll find the level of talent … on the television front will be rather significant as well."

Iger first announced that Disney was developing a live-action Star Wars TV series in November when he revealed that the company's forthcoming direct-to-consumer digital platform would also feature a Monsters, Inc. and High School Musical series. It's unclear if the other Star Wars TV series for the Disney digital platform will also be live-action.

The as-yet-untitled Disney digital platform will target families and launch in late 2019, the company said Tuesday. To prepare for the as-yet-unnamed platform, Disney has pulled its Marvel features from rival Netflix.

While Benioff and Weiss would seem to be prime candidates to create a live-action Star Wars TV series given their success in building HBO's Emmy-winning genre hit Game of Thrones, Iger used his time with investors Tuesday to explain why they'd be fronting a new trilogy for Disney's film unit.

"Their interest was in creating a series of films that are Star Wars-based and we've actually been talking to them for a long time," Iger said. "To my knowledge they didn’t express interest in creating a series. They have an idea for number of films and at some later date I'm sure we'll disclose to all of you just what those are. They are focused on a point in time in the Star Wars mythology and taking it from there."

With Benioff and Weiss moving to Star Wars after the final season of Game of Thrones (which will air in 2019), that leaves the future of HBO's controversial slave drama Confederate in limbo. HBO has yet to make a decision on the future of Confederate; Benioff and Weiss were to begin work on that straight-to-series drama after Thrones wrapped.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ervice-1082523
Old 02-06-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Going to be a Star Wars burn out in a few years? (Star Trek had to take a bit of a break as well)
Old 02-06-18, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Umm ... not all the Marvel movies are off Netflix. I know GOTG2 and Civil War are still there.

Anyway, I like the idea, but I am skeptical given the quality of the Marvel TV stuff on ABC.
Old 02-06-18, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Umm ... not all the Marvel movies are off Netflix. I know GOTG2 and Civil War are still there.
Dr. Strange is the only other one.
Old 02-06-18, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know these shows were announced over a decade ago. It took Disney to get them going. I’m ready to see whatever comes down the pipe. As usual, all they have to be is better than the prequels.
Old 03-08-18, 09:07 AM

Jon Favreau to Executive Produce and Write Live-Action Star Wars Series

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Emmy-nominated producer and actor Jon Favreau has signed on to executive produce and write a live-action Star Wars series for Disney’s new direct-to-consumer platform. Favreau is no stranger to the Star Wars galaxy having played roles in both the Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated series and in the upcoming Solo: A Star Wars Story.

“I couldn’t be more excited about Jon coming on board to produce and write for the new direct-to-consumer platform,” says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “Jon brings the perfect mix of producing and writing talent, combined with a fluency in the Star Wars universe. This series will allow Jon the chance to work with a diverse group of writers and directors and give Lucasfilm the opportunity to build a robust talent base.”

Favreau is thrilled to be returning to the Star Wars galaxy: “If you told me at 11 years old that I would be getting to tell stories in the Star Wars universe, I wouldn’t have believed you. I can’t wait to embark upon this exciting adventure.”

Disney’s collaborations with Favreau extend back a decade, when he helped launch the Marvel Cinematic Universe as director of Iron Man and Iron Man 2 and as an executive producer of the Iron Man and Avengers films for Marvel Studios. For Disney, he directed and produced the massively successful The Jungle Book, which won an Academy Award for its groundbreaking visual effects. He is currently in production on Disney’s highly anticipated reimagining of The Lion King, set for release in 2019.

The untitled Star Wars live-action series does not yet have a release date.
http://www.starwars.com/news/jon-fav...ar-wars-series
Old 03-08-18, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Pretty much the guarantee to get people to sign up for the service. Take that CBS and Start Trek!
Old 03-08-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I was planning on signing up for their service anyway, and this is a nice bonus. As long as it's not another fucking cartoon, I'm there.
Old 03-08-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Guessing that Favreau's show won't be ready until 2020 at the earliest. It was just announced, so it's going to be awhile before they can go into production.

Hopefully he hires a good writing staff to help him out.
Old 03-08-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

What is the new Disney streaming service called?
Old 03-08-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ranger
What is the new Disney streaming service called?

No name and no price yet

Launches next year
Old 03-08-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I was planning on signing up for their service anyway, and this is a nice bonus. As long as it's not another fucking cartoon, I'm there.
I guarantee there will be another Filoni cartoon soon, too.
Old 03-08-18, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
No name and no price yet

Launches next year
I find this so odd with the recent Fox acquisition, as Disney now has the majority ownership of Hulu (~60%).
Old 03-08-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Even with their current ownership of Hulu, though, they put a lot of stuff as exclusive to Netflix. But they have a ton of leverage, as others have said if anyone is going to make an ala carte streaming service and tempt me to pay extra for it, it's Disney.
Old 03-08-18, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
I find this so odd with the recent Fox acquisition, as Disney now has the majority ownership of Hulu (~60%).
They haven’t acquired anything yet.
Old 03-08-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

As long as they have their entire library to stream -- they can take my money. The live-action shows are just icing on the cake.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.