The Mandalorian -- Star Wars -- News, rumors, etc. -- possible spoilers

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-30-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml

We're continuing to hear about the direction for Lucasfilm and Star Wars post-Episode III. While there won't be more movies, we continue to hear the move is to TV. Sources are now telling us that there WILL be a TV series in 2006.

They don't know whether it'll be live-action, animated or both - Lucasfilm itself will decide on this later this year!

Popular Reply

02-12-21, 09:25 AM
Red Hood
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: The Mandalorian -- Star Wars -- News, rumors, etc. -- possible spoilers

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I thought Pedro Pascal's tweet compared the minority camps to Nazi Germany? So we give him a pass?

Give him a pass for what? Where was the lie in that post? Under the Trump administration, kids were separated from their parents and thrown in cages, much like in Germany during the Nazi regime. Not only that, but many of these kids died, were raped and many others have still yet be reunited with their families. But yeah, that's the same as what Dipshit Carano said.
Old 04-30-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, could be interesting. With the cost of CGI coming down, I'm sure by 2006 they'll be able to get something on a TV screen George would be happy with.

If it's a cartoon, Genndy had better be involved.
Old 04-30-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sounds cool. Can't wait to see Star Wars TV series!
Old 04-30-04, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It'll probably be the continuing adventures of Ambassador Jar-Jar
Old 04-30-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
somebody has to create a time machine and go get Eric Foreman.
Old 04-30-04, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
If Lucas doesn't write it it might be good!

Maybe they can get the folks who did the MTV Spider-Man. Just caught that on DVD and was pretty impressed.
Old 04-30-04, 07:28 PM
Banned

God, why can't they just let this once great franchise rest in peace already.
Old 04-30-04, 08:05 PM

I hope they get those guys from Enterprise to take over the writing. That way they could work the Borg into the Star Wars universe!
Old 04-30-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bad move in my opinion... Television has certain demands that just aren't going to mesh well with Lucasfilm's sometimes insane behavior. There is so much bureaucracy in the creation of EU Star Wars material that I don't see how a weekly show could survive and maintain a decent quality of storytelling. Unless Lucasfilm changes, they'll be so obsessed making sure that soandso character in one scene doesn't contradict something from the novels that it'll just be pointless by the time a full 22-episode season is finished.

With that and the fact I utterly despise every single part of the prequel universe, this gets a major thumbs down from me. Now if they were to do an animated TV series that picks up after ROTJ, and mixes in various parts of the novels with other stuff... What I'd give to see Genndy tackle the New Republic/Yuuzhan Vong conflict... If it's live action, they need to shelve this idea now. They aren't going to do a live action series focusing on any character that 99% of the world has ever heard of, so given the sci-fi genres few successes recently, it's doomed to failure before it starts.

Last edited by coladar; 04-30-04 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-01-04, 01:34 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by coladar
Television has certain demands that just aren't going to mesh well with Lucasfilm's sometimes insane behavior.
What - you mean like when Young Indy ran for 2 seasons? Seemed like he had no problem keeping up then - and he was trying out some expermental effects stuff there too, stuff that was leading into episode 1.
Old 05-01-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Lucas can do TV. The real question is if Fox will cancel it so they can make room for "The Swan IV"
Old 05-01-04, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by El-Kabong
What - you mean like when Young Indy ran for 2 seasons? Seemed like he had no problem keeping up then - and he was trying out some expermental effects stuff there too, stuff that was leading into episode 1.
Maybe I didn't clarify myself enough... I have no question that Lucasfilm can keep up with CG and whatnot.

My main issue that I think might destroy any normal network live action show is Lucasfilms' obsession with continuity. Indiana Jones isn't Lucas' baby like the Star Wars Universe is, and it doesn't have the massive history, characters, races and everything else that has developed in the SW Universe over the years. I was a hardcore fan of Star Wars a number of years ago, before the prequels, and I just know from reading various accounts that Lucasfilm is extremely, extremely thorough on making sure that things mesh with the existing history they've created.

For an animated series, it would be doable. A lot more control can be exerted, and changes made fairly easily. But for a live action series, I just can't see it happening. If everything had to be okayed, even if the script gets passed, having to reshoot scenes that there are issues with is going to drive up the cost greatly.

I haven't followed Star Wars much since the prequels, so maybe Lucasfilm has changed and they aren't so controlling on novels/"Clone Wars"/video games and whatnot now. But before '99, I remember reading various accounts from people that worked on novels/games that said Lucasfilm went over liscensed work with a fine tooth comb. If they still are, I just can't see it working on a 1 hour, 22-episode per season television show. If they do everything in-house, it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but I still could see it posing a problem.

Last edited by coladar; 05-01-04 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-01-04, 03:58 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd rather Lucas make another movie than have TV shows.
Old 05-01-04, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope it's live action. Sometimes animation bothers me, unless its a funny animation.

I can see the show entertaining the standard Star Wars movie fans. The hard core people who know every book, video game, and cartoon (did they ever have star wars comics?) might be disappointed.
Old 05-01-04, 06:54 AM

I think animation done in ST: Roughnecks style would possibly be pretty good/the right approach. I can't say I really get into cell animation anymore though. I've tried watching some of those Clone Wars shorts and they just don't do anything for me...
Old 05-01-04, 10:02 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
nemein- Have you caught MTV's Spider-Man? It was done by the same folks who did Roughnecks, and was CG in a cell-shaded style.

The regular-people part was kind of awkward, but the superhero action action scenes perfect. It's too bad there isn't more of it. The DVD is a nice anamorphic transfer w/DTS.

Star Wars could lend itself quite nicely to this style.
Old 05-01-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This might be good if it's an X-Wing Rogue Squadron show set between the events of Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.
Old 05-01-04, 04:07 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts
"I've got a bad feeling about this..."
Old 05-01-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
MONEY stupid! MONEY!
Old 05-01-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
A total of six movies over a 28 year span. Yeah, they've really run out of ideas.

Old 05-01-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about the series set a few years before ANH. Rebellion fighting a full-strength Empire. They could introduce a left-over Jedi from the Republic that would probably need to be killed before the events of ANH so Luke/Ben are the last Jedi around.
Old 05-01-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

did they ever have star wars comics?
Only about ten million of 'em.

I agree, Star Wars has gotten too commercial.

*cough*
Old 05-01-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Maybe Han will shoot first in this series.
Old 05-02-04, 12:25 AM

How 'bout doing Episodes VII-IX instead, like he planned to do doing waaaay back when?
Old 05-02-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My main issue that I think might destroy any normal network live action show is Lucasfilms' obsession with continuity. Indiana Jones isn't Lucas' baby like the Star Wars Universe is, and it doesn't have the massive history, characters, races and everything else that has developed in the SW Universe over the years. I was a hardcore fan of Star Wars a number of years ago, before the prequels, and I just know from reading various accounts that Lucasfilm is extremely, extremely thorough on making sure that things mesh with the existing history they've created.

For an animated series, it would be doable. A lot more control can be exerted, and changes made fairly easily. But for a live action series, I just can't see it happening. If everything had to be okayed, even if the script gets passed, having to reshoot scenes that there are issues with is going to drive up the cost greatly.

I haven't followed Star Wars much since the prequels, so maybe Lucasfilm has changed and they aren't so controlling on novels/"Clone Wars"/video games and whatnot now. But before '99, I remember reading various accounts from people that worked on novels/games that said Lucasfilm went over liscensed work with a fine tooth comb. If they still are, I just can't see it working on a 1 hour, 22-episode per season television show. If they do everything in-house, it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but I still could see it posing a problem.
And looking at Star Trek, I don't see how this would be a BAD thing. It's nice to see a creator take some genuine interest in the stuff he's created and not shovel it off to every one else without a care because he'll still make money.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.