Reload this Page >

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-08-13, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else a fan of these shows? I LOVED Hercules, I watched it every day after school as a kid. Kevin Sorbo was a perfect casting choice. Also Iolaus (Michael Hurst) was a great companion.

I admittedly never watched a full episode of Xena. How much of an overlap is there between the two shows?
Old 01-08-13, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess

This gives you a good breakdown of the connections (as well as with Young Hercules)

http://hercxena.wikia.com/wiki/Crossover
Old 01-08-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I loved those shows. It's a shame Kevin Smith (Ares) had his fatal accident.

Bruce Campbell and Ted Raimi were awesome in both shows.
Old 01-08-13, 09:47 PM
Political Exile

I watched and loved both shows. I remember watching these on Saturday though.
Old 01-08-13, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember watching reruns on the WB or something.
Old 01-08-13, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I watched and loved both shows. I remember watching these on Saturday though.
Hercules started out as TV movies in the Action Pack. I think that aired on Saturdays.
Old 01-09-13, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved Hercules so much growing up. Not only am I a huge Greek mythology fan but the pure amount of gratuitous TnA in each episode was awesome for a teenager. I actually bought every season and while the series trended downward in quality as it went on, it was still great.

I've seen bits and pieces of Xena, but never really got into it at all so I can't comment on that. There were a few crossover episodes between the shows, but nothing where you would have to watch both. They are pretty independent of each other in terms of storylines.
Old 01-09-13, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I loved those shows. It's a shame Kevin Smith (Ares) had his fatal accident.
Sad to hear that, though I read quickly and thought you said Kevin Sorbo.
Old 01-09-13, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Xena is in my top three favorite shows, never liked Hercules. Rob Tapert has said Xena was aimed at adults, Hercules for children. Xena was at times very dark... then spiritual... just a great show. Jumped the shark in season five with Lucy Lawless' pregnancy...
Old 01-09-13, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Sad to hear that, though I read quickly and thought you said Kevin Sorbo.
No, Kevin Sorbo is at least still with us.

Speaking of Kevin Sorbo, on May 25-26, he'll be at Puerto Rico Comic Con. If only they could also get Lucy Lawless and Bruce Campbell to attend.

Anyone know what ever became of Michael Hurst?
Old 01-09-13, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lucy Lawless was actually a surprise panel addition at SDCC this year. She was a really great addition and added a lot. I think the hour would have been less enjoyable I she was absent.

I recall watching Hercules a lot more than Xena. I wonder how I'd look at it today. I'm still making my way trough Legen of the Seeker on Netflix, but I find it a spiritual successor that fits between these two.

Whoever said Herc started on the UPN Action Pack was correct. Those segments had some good movie continent if I recall. Knight Rider 2025, some good/bad brother redemption show, and of course Tek Wars - although I don't recall the latter being too memorable.

I think Kevin Hurst was in some awful B film "Bitch Slap" that is on Netflix. Not worth any time at all.
Old 01-09-13, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I recall watching Hercules a lot more than Xena. I wonder how I'd look at it today. I'm still making my way trough Legen of the Seeker on Netflix, but I find it a spiritual successor that fits between these two.
I caught a few Herculese episodes on Hub and still found them enjoyable. I've yet to revisit Xena.

Legend of the Seeker was a great show (that was sadly snuffed out after two seasons ) and, you're right, it does work as a spiritual successor to Hercules and Xena. By the way, you're gonna love Cara when you make your way to season 2. The episode called "Princess" is a particular highlight.

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Whoever said Herc started on the UPN Action Pack was correct. Those segments had some good movie continent if I recall. Knight Rider 2025, some good/bad brother redemption show, and of course Tek Wars - although I don't recall the latter being too memorable.
That would be me. And the "good/bad brother redemption show" was Vanishing Son with Russell Wong. It started out as a movie trilogy and then became a spiritual successor Kung Fu. Very 90's but enjoyable just the same.

I enjoyed Tek War, though it was just an excuse to watch Shatner play a morally ambiguous semi-badguy. I got to read one of the novels, Tek Secret (supposedly written by Shatner himself), and found it more interesting than the TV series. Mainly because budget limitations really didn't allow the series to recreate the world in the books.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-09-13 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-09-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
That would be me. And the "good/bad brother redemption show" was Vanishing Son with Russell Wong. It started out as a movie trilogy and then became a spiritual successor Kung Fu. Very 90's but enjoyable just the same.
Wasn't it back to back with the newer Kung Fu series? I remember liking Vanishing Son so much better but it was cancelled while Kung Fu went on for a season or two longer. It's been awhile so my memory is kind of hazy.
Old 01-09-13, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
Wasn't it back to back with the newer Kung Fu series? I remember liking Vanishing Son so much better but it was cancelled while Kung Fu went on for a season or two longer. It's been awhile so my memory is kind of hazy.
I remember the new Kung Fu series (it was decent) but I don't remember when it aired. Didn't TNT keep reruning it for a while after it was cancelled?

I remember Vanishing Son more than the Kung Fu revival series (didn't Brandon Lee guest star as Caine's estranged son in the latter?) so I'll assume I enjoyed it more.

EDIT:
Brandon Lee was in Kung Fu: The Movie.

Kung Fu: The Legend Continues aired for 4 seasons between 1993 - 1997.

The four Vanishing Son movies and the 13 episodes of the series aired from February 28, 1994 to May 8, 1995.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-09-13 at 11:28 AM.