Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Justified -- Season Premiere -- "Hole in the Wall" -- 1/08/13

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/08/ju...miere-preview/

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/08/ju...m-graham-yost/
Old 01-09-13, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason this episode just felt "off" to me. Did the show get a new showrunner or something?
Old 01-09-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
For some reason this episode just felt "off" to me. Did the show get a new showrunner or something?
No, but Graham Yost, the showrunner, is doing double duty. He is also working on The Americans, which premieres at the end of the month.
Old 01-09-13, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great start to the season. Much funnier than I remember last season being.

Originally Posted by Rob V
Wasn't Patton one of the most out-spoken "celebrities" regarding gun control a few weeks back? Odd how hypocritical he is by starrring on a show like this.
I'm not sure what you mean. He's an actor playing a role. As far as I know, Christoph Waltz doesn't hunt down Jews in real life.
Old 01-10-13, 12:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
As far as I know, Christoph Waltz doesn't hunt down Jews in real life.
So, there's still a chance?
Old 01-10-13, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
So, there's still a chance?
You can't rule anything out. I used to think Mel Gibson was normal.
Old 01-10-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would just like to point out that shooting a steering wheel WILL NOT set off the airbag.
Old 01-10-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the dash?
Old 01-10-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
I felt the same way but enjoyed it nonetheless.
Old 01-10-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
What about the dash?
No. There are no sensors located within the dashboard that trigger the airbag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag

Triggering conditions

Some cars provide the option to turn off airbags.
Airbags are designed to deploy in frontal and near-frontal collisions more severe than a threshold defined by the regulations governing vehicle construction in whatever particular market the vehicle is intended for: U.S. regulations require deployment in crashes at least equivalent in deceleration to a 23 km/h (14 mph) barrier collision, or similarly, striking a parked car of similar size across the full front of each vehicle at about twice the speed.[42] International regulations are performance based, rather than technology-based, so airbag deployment threshold is a function of overall vehicle design.
Unlike crash tests into barriers, real-world crashes typically occur at angles other than directly into the front of the vehicle, and the crash forces usually are not evenly distributed across the front of the vehicle. Consequently, the relative speed between a striking and struck vehicle required to deploy the airbag in a real-world crash can be much higher than an equivalent barrier crash. Because airbag sensors measure deceleration, vehicle speed is not a good indicator of whether an airbag should have deployed. Airbags can deploy due to the vehicle's undercarriage striking a low object protruding above the roadway due to the resulting deceleration.
The airbag sensor is a MEMS accelerometer, which is a small integrated circuit with integrated micro mechanical elements. The microscopic mechanical element moves in response to rapid deceleration, and this motion causes a change in capacitance, which is detected by the electronics on the chip that then sends a signal to fire the airbag. The most common MEMS accelerometer in use is the ADXL-50 by Analog Devices, but there are other MEMS manufacturers as well.
Initial attempts using mercury switches did not work well. Before MEMS, the primary system used to deploy airbags was called a "rolamite". A rolamite is a mechanical device, consisting of a roller suspended within a tensioned band. As a result of the particular geometry and material properties used, the roller is free to translate with little friction or hysteresis. This device was developed at Sandia National Laboratories. The rolamite, and similar macro-mechanical devices were used in airbags until the mid-1990s when they were universally replaced with MEMS.
Nearly all airbags are designed to automatically deploy in the event of a vehicle fire when temperatures reach 150-200 °C (300-400 °F).[43] This safety feature, often termed auto-ignition, helps to ensure that such temperatures do not cause an explosion of the entire airbag module.
Today, airbag triggering algorithms are becoming much more complex. They try to reduce unnecessary deployments and to adapt the deployment speed to the crash conditions. The algorithms are considered valuable intellectual property. Experimental algorithms may take into account such factors as the weight of the occupant, the seat location, seatbelt use, and even attempt to determine if a baby seat is present.
Old 01-10-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking the guy raylan captured for the bounty reappears at some time, as it felt like a point was made he now knew Raylan's name. perhaps raylan just then gives in and shoots the guy already.
Old 01-10-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I would just like to point out that shooting a steering wheel WILL NOT set off the airbag.
read the article with Graham Yost above. He said there are people who have done it, although they've used rifles. So it's probably a slight exaggeration of truth, but not horribly so.
Old 01-10-13, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
read the article with Graham Yost above. He said there are people who have done it, although they've used rifles. So it's probably a slight exaggeration of truth, but not horribly so.
Yeah, I see the video. An AK-47 being fired multiple times all over the car. He likely hit one of the sensors in the car's body.
Old 01-12-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Kind of an odd episode.

Not that there was anything wrong with it. Surprised at how much humor there was. and then the teen girl who flashed her tits to Raylan and the hardware store owner.

at the Oxy head chick who shot the guy dressed as a bear. Really weird elements.

at Constable Bob stabbing the chick in the feet. $2400 per year?

I guess Winona will only be mentioned as an afterthought since Natalie Zea is now on The Following.

at Arlo shanking that guy in the prison.
Old 01-13-13, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I guess Winona will only be mentioned as an afterthought since Natalie Zea is now on The Following.
Shame, as i have been Team Winona since the "Watching the Detectives" episode.

Winona: “I found the gun.”
Raylan: “You touch it?”
Winona: “What am I, an asshole?”
Old 01-13-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Keeping my fingers crossed that Zea at least has a guest appearance this season. They gotta show Raylan's kid, right?

Episode didn't seem off to me. Just all set up. Quirky humor has always been a part of this show.

Glad to see Boyd's friend but for the life of me I can't place him. I wanna say ER.
Old 01-13-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keeping my fingers crossed that Zea at least has a guest appearance this season. They gotta show Raylan's kid, right?
Spoiler:
Found this...Natalie Zea will appear on Episode 5 and then in a few more installments after that.
Old 01-13-13, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Glad to see Boyd's friend but for the life of me I can't place him. I wanna say ER.
Its Ron Eldard from ER, and one of my favorite tv comedies ever Men Behaving Badly.
Old 01-13-13, 07:30 PM

I liked it. Not quite the same as past openers which have had some powerful moments (esp season 2), but seemed like a pretty good setup for the season.

Trying to figure out the Arlo story - I'm sure there will be a reason behind him killing the guy in prison for merely being aware of things vaguely, but I couldn't piece it together.
Old 01-13-13, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I'm dying to find out what that flashback has to do with the bag in the wall.

Thanks for the info dino88 and bluelitespecial! Of course, Ron Eldard.
Old 01-14-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Seems like a DB Cooper storyline to me.
Old 01-14-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really wish we could get Arlo to say:

WRONG KID DIED

just once in this show...
Old 01-15-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Great start to the season. Much funnier than I remember last season being.

I'm not sure what you mean. He's an actor playing a role. As far as I know, Christoph Waltz doesn't hunt down Jews in real life.
What I mean is, if you're going to take such a hardcore stance on a very subjective debate, have the balls to practice what you preach or just stfu.

Anti or pro-gun debates are nothing like the atrocities the Jews endured -- so don't take this where it doesn't belong.
Old 01-15-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
What I mean is, if you're going to take such a hardcore stance on a very subjective debate, have the balls to practice what you preach or just stfu.

Anti or pro-gun debates are nothing like the atrocities the Jews endured -- so don't take this where it doesn't belong.
Practice what you preach? He's an actor. Actors don't only play characters they agree with politically.

And I don't think you understood the Christoph Waltz comparison if you thought I was "taking this where it doesn't belong."
Old 01-15-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ I do understand. I just don't appreciate actors (or comedians who think they can act) who impose their political views because they have a platform--- and then act contrary because it's a paying gig. If you're SO against guns, why play a role that supports guns? I get why actors take roles, but I don't need them running their yappers about political movements.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.