Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Wayward Pines (FOX) premieres 5/14/15 - S: Dillon, Howard, Gugino - Season 1 Thread

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Wayward Pines (FOX) premieres 5/14/15 - S: Dillon, Howard, Gugino - Season 1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Wayward Pines (FOX, premieres 5/14/2015) - S: Dillon, Howard, Gugino -- Series Th

I think everyone in Group B still knows something is deeply wrong with the whole scenario but have seen others killed off for asking too many questions. People will become complaint with almost anything when they think their life is at stake.
Old 07-06-15, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Wayward Pines (FOX, premieres 5/14/2015) - S: Dillon, Howard, Gugino -- Series Th

I thought in this last episode when Dillon saw the clock blinking in his car that it was occurring to him that there's no way that technology/car would have lasted 2000 years and still work like that...that perhaps he wasn't being told the truth.

I'm still expecting there might be a second twist. They alluded to something this last episode from one of the secondary characters that they were just part of a government experiment...which is still a possibility. We've really only seen about 30 miles outside of Wayward Pines.
Old 07-06-15, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I thought in this last episode when Dillon saw the clock blinking in his car that it was occurring to him that there's no way that technology/car would have lasted 2000 years and still work like that...that perhaps he wasn't being told the truth.
I don't think his character is smarter than the writers.
Old 07-06-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
The blinking car clock is what let him know the clock had lost power, likely due to the car battery being disconnected. Which suggested someone was messing around with his car. That's why he told his wife and kid to walk and then he inspected the car and found the bomb.
Old 07-06-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Yea. Did he NOT turn on the ignition after he saw it? That's what I thought. If he turned it on, the bomb probably would have exploded.
Old 07-07-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I don't want to make this like a Game of Thrones thread full of book spoilers (especially since it looks like only a couple of us have read the books), but here's a plot thread that apparently is getting skipped.

Spoiler:
From what I remember, when Ethan finds his wife and kid, they are already living in Wayward Pines but the wife has been paired up with his old FBI boss, who secretly had the hots for her. Also, some time had passed and the kid was a few years older than he was when Ethan had last seen him. My memory is a bit fuzzy, so I may have some minor facts wrong. I still won't be surprised to see his boss show up at some point.
Is that from the first book? I just finished reading it recently and don't remember that at all:

Spoiler:
from what I remember, the wife and child were drugged and brought to Wayward Pines where they waited for Ethan to come around. When he eventually did, he went to his wife's new home and tried to start anew. Maybe there was something at the very end that I glossed over though but I didn't know anything of Ethan's secret service boss living with Theresa and Ben.
Old 07-17-15, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by barelypure
So this group, Group B, doesn't know about Group A. Doesn't know they're 2000 years from their last memory. Doesn't know about the Abbies. However everyone has a mailbox. Why would they have a mailbox. Who are they writing too? Are their letters answered? Do they receive bills? When they file their tax return is Pilcher's volunteers opening them and sending them their refund checks? We haven't seen a bank is there one? Are they printing their own money? At some point the absence of mail should have tipped them off.
Well I suppose everyone knows now. I guess Pilcher thinks his project is lost so he's going to let the Abbies just take over?
Old 07-17-15, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They should have did another ending for this week. The ending seems like a repeat of the one from last week.
Old 07-17-15, 06:28 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I've been recording this... haven't checked it out yet. Is it worth it?
Old 07-17-15, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by kantonburg
Well I suppose everyone knows now. I guess Pilcher thinks his project is lost so he's going to let the Abbies just take over?
Here's plan C. Just let the Abbie's kill everyone in town. Clear out the town again. Here is the important part. Start over with the VOLUNTEERS who have been feeding and supporting these ungrateful townspeople and who actually know what is going on and fully accept the situation. This must be some kind of experiment because the whole setup does not make sense. Just rebuild with the useful people who actually volunteered to be there.
Old 07-17-15, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/07/way...hat-there.html

Confirmed that the season/show will be 1 and done.

"The series was always conceived and presented as 10 episodes only so next week is the finale."
Old 07-17-15, 10:40 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
At this point, I wouldn't bother. Especially now knowing it won't be returning for another season. There have been a few good moments, but the acting has been atrocious, for one thing.
Old 07-17-15, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Eh, I kinda like it. It's not appointment TV by any means, and there are some plot holes big enough to drive a fleet of supertankers through. But it's a fun summer show that gets pretty solid Live+3 numbers and currently has an 86% at Rotten Tomatoes, and 8.2 at IMDB and an 8.5 at TV.com. That's pretty solid. And, unlike Geofferson, I don't think the acting's generally any better or worse than any other show on TV... except for:

Spoiler:
the kid who led the "rebellion" and was killed in last night's episode... he's terrible.
Old 07-17-15, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought the intention was for this to be a "closed story". So I would recommend watching it. It has its really dumb moments. But I think it's in the upper-echelon of what's on TV right now (especially since it's summer).
Old 07-17-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
At this point, I wouldn't bother. Especially now knowing it won't be returning for another season. There have been a few good moments, but the acting has been atrocious, for one thing.
It's supposed to be a closed ended event series. There was never going to be a second season.

There was some talk of it possibly continuing, but nothing ever came of it. Plus the show was shot almost 2 years ago and all the current cast contracts have expired.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-17-15 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-17-15, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

It's better than a lot of other summer TV--such as WAY better than something like The Dome. It's not perfect though. I think it's gone downhill since the big reveal. Up till that point, I was hooked. Now it's just "meh." :P
Old 07-18-15, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I've found Wayward Pines very watchable as a summer show. It's basically a mini-series that tells a complete story. It was a little more fun in the beginning when the mystery was still present but it's reasonably well written.
Old 07-18-15, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I think it took too long to get to the twist. Then the two episodes where they explain everything was just painful to watch. The last two episodes have been far more interesting than anything preceding it. I think the concept could have been done much better by more creative people but I have the sense that the problem is the source material and not wanting to deviate far from it.
Old 07-18-15, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought this last episode was eye-rollingly bad.

Everything with the teenagers is just terrible. The son's speech in front of the hospital, the prep-school kill squad, just horrible. Nobody would ever act like they have the people in this acting.

I'm still in to see this through since it's only one more episode, but I don't expect to get a very satisfying resolution.
Old 07-19-15, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by dave94

Everything with the teenagers is just terrible. The son's speech in front of the hospital, the prep-school kill squad, just horrible. Nobody would ever act like they have the people in this acting.

I'm still in to see this through since it's only one more episode, but I don't expect to get a very satisfying resolution.
Well, they have been telling the kids this whole time that they are the important ones and the adults are fragile almost second hand citizens. So adult kills a child and doesn't get punished plus hormones, mob mentality and a heavy dose of mind fuckery. Yeah seems happen-able for me.

Also this like most sci-fi movies requires a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief, I am all for skeptically in real life but this is a show about mutants in the year 4000, come on.

Best mindset for things like this is 'this is how things work in this universe'. I could nit pick apart the movie Dave too, but what's the point?
Old 07-19-15, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Also this like most sci-fi movies requires a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief, I am all for skeptically in real life but this is a show about mutants in the year 4000, come on.
When you put it this way, yeah
Old 07-20-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dave94

I fast forward through every scene involving the teens. Unless they're getting shot or blown up. Those I enjoy.
Old 07-20-15, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got caught up on the show last night. I can't stand the teens storyline at all. I've enjoyed this as a summer show.

I think we might see more book adaptations in 10 1- hour episode limited formats more.
Old 07-21-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Diehard SNL fans will recognize Siobhan Fallon Hogan as Dillon's secretary.

Old 07-23-15, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Gosh the teens are bad. And the main character's child, a girl he just met shows him interest and he will do anything for her and forget his family that easily. Ugh.

Other than that, there's been some good parts (love Terrance Howard's character). I thought they might do another season if the ratings were good (chances are most people will die here and then they can get a new cast next season). No idea why this didn't come out last year as expected. I was wondering what happened to M. Night's show.

My friend thinks that the big twist at the end will be it was all a dream. Typical M. Night bs. But yeah, expecting some sort of twist.

As for the books, is it worth a read?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.