Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Wayward Pines (FOX) premieres 5/14/15 - S: Dillon, Howard, Gugino - Season 1 Thread

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Wayward Pines (FOX) premieres 5/14/15 - S: Dillon, Howard, Gugino - Season 1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Wayward Pines (FOX, premieres 5/14/2015) - S: Dillon, Howard, Gugino -- Series Th

I'm on the fence. I'll probably stick with it until the twist but it's not winning me over right now.
Old 05-24-15, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: Wayward Pines (FOX, premieres 5/14/2015) - S: Dillon, Howard, Gugino -- Series Th

I can't wait for this to crossover with Terra Nova! That's the reason they will die beyond the walls, Raptors!
Old 05-27-15, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read in an interview that by episode 5 we will know nearly everything and the remaining episode will be about everyone dealing with it.
Old 05-29-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I can't wait for this to crossover with Terra Nova! That's the reason they will die beyond the walls, Raptors!
Holy shit I was right!
Old 05-29-15, 12:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Two episodes in and it's okay. Dialogue isn't terribly polished, but it's got a solid cast and I'm somewhat intrigued as to what is going on exactly. It's familiar territory though (Persons Unknown, anyone?)
Old 05-29-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Someone told me the twist this week and I think it's going to be very polarizing. Having said that, I think it would have been a cool twist for Lost.
Old 05-29-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

So they killed off another lead character. The differing times for each person in Wayward Pines leads me to believe everyone is a clone or something of the original person that died. It feels like a government experiment. The tone has held up through 3 episodes better than I imagined, though the strangeness may eventually collapse under its own weight.
Old 05-30-15, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched episodes 2 and 3 today. Having read books, I was not surprised by the deaths, but I thought the second character death would have happened in a later episode. Small possible spoilers
Spoiler:
We will probably see the sheriff and Beverly in flashbacks later on
Old 06-01-15, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone else watching the companion webisodes on fox.com/gone ?
They are lousy with product placement and bad acting but are interesting.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 06-02-15 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched the 1st 3 episodes. It has its flaws but I kinda like it so far.

Also the son is annoying.
Old 06-02-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Those animals screams near the end was kind of freaky.
Old 06-02-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

We're enjoying the show so far. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the episodes play out.
Old 06-02-15, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I don't want to make this like a Game of Thrones thread full of book spoilers (especially since it looks like only a couple of us have read the books), but here's a plot thread that apparently is getting skipped.

Spoiler:
From what I remember, when Ethan finds his wife and kid, they are already living in Wayward Pines but the wife has been paired up with his old FBI boss, who secretly had the hots for her. Also, some time had passed and the kid was a few years older than he was when Ethan had last seen him. My memory is a bit fuzzy, so I may have some minor facts wrong. I still won't be surprised to see his boss show up at some point.
Old 06-12-15, 09:57 AM

OK, question: Ethan escapes and Pilcher goes after him and tells him they are in the future. In the meantime the teacher is indoctrinating the kids that they've jumped 2000 years into the future. The road guy tells the wife that he saw people in pods. If I buy the whole suspended animation scenario how was the sheriff able to go back and intercept the wife and kid driving in from Seattle to cause their accident and still be around 2000 years later when they emerged. Same question as to the nurse. Both are occupying 2 time lines. The real estate guy said they get 2 to 3 new people every month. I'm assuming they are being released from the pods. But someone, actually a lot of someones over the 2000 years, had to be the caretaker for the pods. If the abbies have taken over the world and it doesn't exist how we know it there has to be some type of time travel. And if there is time travel then just go back to when the abbies started and kill the 1st ones. Problem solved and no Wayward Pines.
Maybe I just over think these shows. It would have made more sense to keep everything present day while the abbies take over. Then the new arrivals could be people escaping to WP.
Old 06-12-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by barelypure
OK, question: Ethan escapes and Pilcher goes after him and tells him they are in the future. In the meantime the teacher is indoctrinating the kids that they've jumped 2000 years into the future. The road guy tells the wife that he saw people in pods. If I buy the whole suspended animation scenario how was the sheriff able to go back and intercept the wife and kid driving in from Seattle to cause their accident and still be around 2000 years later when they emerged. Same question as to the nurse. Both are occupying 2 time lines. The real estate guy said they get 2 to 3 new people every month. I'm assuming they are being released from the pods. But someone, actually a lot of someones over the 2000 years, had to be the caretaker for the pods. If the abbies have taken over the world and it doesn't exist how we know it there has to be some type of time travel. And if there is time travel then just go back to when the abbies started and kill the 1st ones. Problem solved and no Wayward Pines.
Maybe I just over think these shows. It would have made more sense to keep everything present day while the abbies take over. Then the new arrivals could be people escaping to WP.
No time travel as far as I can tell. Pilcher discovered that the genetic mutation was set to be our evolutionary future so he started to plan this future community. If I understand correctly, the cop and the nurse helped him with picking and capturing the people who would be unfrozen in Wayward Pines. I'm assuming that since the teacher is the wife of the mayor, that they are also in on it. They seem to unfreeze people over time which is why Juliette Lewis thought she was still in the 80's and Carla Gugino said she's been there for 10 years. I'm assuming that is so they can handle the adults in an orderly fashion.

What makes absolutely no sense is why they can tell the kids and not the adults. To think that a child in their teens is better at accepting this fate is ridiculous. The idea that kids aren't going to tell their parents is really flimsy as well. It's hard to believe that only one kid did so. Also, by creating this big brother type society, it's inevitably going to lead to violence by the adults. Why not just let them in on what's going on and accept that some people are going to kill themselves over it? And how many people do you need to create a new society? It seems like there are enough people to reproduce and keep the population healthy.

I can understand this type of twist working in a novel. It just doesn't work well in this show. The expository scenes made the entire episode agonizing IMO.

One question that I have and maybe book readers can answer this. Why is it that Ethan can climb out of Wayward Pines but the Abbies haven't climbed down into it? It seems like a huge security flaw.
Old 06-12-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Re: The "First Generation", showrunner Chad Hodge says:

TVLINE | Oh, the First Generation isn’t part of the books?

HODGE: No, that’s something that I created for the show, mostly thinking that the future of this town and the last of humanity is going to be these kids, so ideally nobody would be in the dark. What you’ll see is that there are reasons that they had to keep the adults in the dark, because as Megan Fisher hinted, adults can’t handle the truth. I liken it to when you’re in third or fourth grade and your teacher teaches you about the planets and space and galaxies, all of this stuff that you can’t actually see or touch but you accept it and you learn it and you don’t think it’s crazy. But if you knew nothing of that and you’re a 40-year-old guy, and someone on the street tries to sell this “bill of goods,” that there are nine planets out there, you’d think this person was crazy, because as adults you can’t accept things like that. But the mind of a child… is much more open to new ideas. Telling them and making them feel special and all of that is integral to Wayward Pines and to the way that Pilcher envisioned it.

Personally, though, I think this is the weakest element of the reveal. Watching it play out on the show, I wondered if the books were in the YA category (like "Hunger Games" or "Insurgent") since it gives you yet another dystopia ruled by evil and/or foolish adults and the only hope is the far wiser younger characters. Of course, now I can't blame the books...
Old 06-12-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Call me crazy but I really like Wayward Pines so far, even after the big reveal. Everything doesn't quite jive with what we've been told, I think there must be more that hasn't been revealed. Why exactly all the secrecy from the town's citizens and if these are truly the last humans, why would they get killed off if they don't tow the line? I am not sure this is really 2000 thousand years in the future.

I think we are going to find out a more sinister origin for the Abbies than what we were told.
Old 06-12-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Neil M.
No time travel as far as I can tell. Pilcher discovered that the genetic mutation was set to be our evolutionary future so he started to plan this future community. If I understand correctly, the cop and the nurse helped him with picking and capturing the people who would be unfrozen in Wayward Pines. I'm assuming that since the teacher is the wife of the mayor, that they are also in on it. They seem to unfreeze people over time which is why Juliette Lewis thought she was still in the 80's and Carla Gugino said she's been there for 10 years. I'm assuming that is so they can handle the adults in an orderly fashion.

What makes absolutely no sense is why they can tell the kids and not the adults. To think that a child in their teens is better at accepting this fate is ridiculous. The idea that kids aren't going to tell their parents is really flimsy as well. It's hard to believe that only one kid did so. Also, by creating this big brother type society, it's inevitably going to lead to violence by the adults. Why not just let them in on what's going on and accept that some people are going to kill themselves over it? And how many people do you need to create a new society? It seems like there are enough people to reproduce and keep the population healthy.

I can understand this type of twist working in a novel. It just doesn't work well in this show. The expository scenes made the entire episode agonizing IMO.

One question that I have and maybe book readers can answer this. Why is it that Ethan can climb out of Wayward Pines but the Abbies haven't climbed down into it? It seems like a huge security flaw.
I read the books back in January, from what i remember Ethan did climb over the fence and IIRC, he encountered the Abbies. Also from the books and i'm probably getting a couple of things wrong but
Spoiler:
But Ethan's boss from Secret Serivce is sent out on a mission and he also climbed out of Wayward Pines and traveled around to see if there signs of other societies and he eveutally he returns to Wayward Pines and I recall he killed some of the Abbies
Old 06-12-15, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Call me crazy but I really like Wayward Pines so far, even after the big reveal. Everything doesn't quite jive with what we've been told, I think there must be more that hasn't been revealed. Why exactly all the secrecy from the town's citizens and if these are truly the last humans, why would they get killed off if they don't tow the line? I am not sure this is really 2000 thousand years in the future.

I think we are going to find out a more sinister origin for the Abbies than what we were told.
There are five episodes left and we're supposed to get an explanation for the "time travel" and the selection process in the next episode or two. The producers have been clear that all will be explained (and I'm sure we'll be debating the logic of that) and the series will come to a conclusion at the end of its run.
Old 06-12-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DWilson
Re: The "First Generation", showrunner Chad Hodge says:

TVLINE | Oh, the First Generation isn’t part of the books?

HODGE: No, that’s something that I created for the show, mostly thinking that the future of this town and the last of humanity is going to be these kids, so ideally nobody would be in the dark. What you’ll see is that there are reasons that they had to keep the adults in the dark, because as Megan Fisher hinted, adults can’t handle the truth. I liken it to when you’re in third or fourth grade and your teacher teaches you about the planets and space and galaxies, all of this stuff that you can’t actually see or touch but you accept it and you learn it and you don’t think it’s crazy. But if you knew nothing of that and you’re a 40-year-old guy, and someone on the street tries to sell this “bill of goods,” that there are nine planets out there, you’d think this person was crazy, because as adults you can’t accept things like that. But the mind of a child… is much more open to new ideas. Telling them and making them feel special and all of that is integral to Wayward Pines and to the way that Pilcher envisioned it.

Personally, though, I think this is the weakest element of the reveal. Watching it play out on the show, I wondered if the books were in the YA category (like "Hunger Games" or "Insurgent") since it gives you yet another dystopia ruled by evil and/or foolish adults and the only hope is the far wiser younger characters. Of course, now I can't blame the books...
So by his logic, adults can't accept new ideas but they can accept being prisoners in a small town with a giant electrified fence surrounding it. A place where every place is under surveillance, there is no contact with loved ones, and they have public executions. If the kids are truly the future, why even bother with the adults?
Old 06-13-15, 11:59 AM

It just seems like there are too many holes in the story that they are 2000 years into the future. It would have been more believable to keep everything present day with the abbies evolving from some accident or other and then wiping out the surrounding communities.
Who built the wall? Who kept the pod people safe for 2000 years? The pod people would have included the sheriff and Pilcher so who was in charge? Remember the food supply truck, where does it come from and where does the food come from? There doesn't appear to be any farms or manufacturing facilities to produce the packaged goods or even clothing.
No there's too many unexplained holes. I'll keep watching as it is entertaining to see if they can explain any of this.
Old 06-13-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I like the show. I like the twist. I want to see how it plays out.

I also take comfort in knowing that everything gets wrapped up in the next five episodes. It can be frustrating when you leave the season with so many unanswered questions and in the middle of the plot. Even more heartbreaking when the show gets cancelled. There is definitely a quota of movies and TV shows like that I can handle at a time.
Old 06-13-15, 06:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I buy the whole suspended animation scenario how was the sheriff able to go back and intercept the wife and kid driving in from Seattle to cause their accident and still be around 2000 years later when they emerged.
This for me is what they better have a good explanation for. As for the "Abbies", they were eyerollingly bad looking.
Old 06-13-15, 10:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I like the show. I like the twist. I want to see how it plays out.

I also take comfort in knowing that everything gets wrapped up in the next five episodes. It can be frustrating when you leave the season with so many unanswered questions and in the middle of the plot. Even more heartbreaking when the show gets cancelled. There is definitely a quota of movies and TV shows like that I can handle at a time.
in that vein - I hope this is as good as the 'Torchwood: Children of Earth' - that had a beginning and end in only five episodes. The flipside being 'Under the Dome' which is outliving it's popularity by dragging it out waaaay too long.
Old 06-14-15, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by barelypure
It just seems like there are too many holes in the story that they are 2000 years into the future. It would have been more believable to keep everything present day with the abbies evolving from some accident or other and then wiping out the surrounding communities.
Who built the wall? Who kept the pod people safe for 2000 years? The pod people would have included the sheriff and Pilcher so who was in charge? Remember the food supply truck, where does it come from and where does the food come from? There doesn't appear to be any farms or manufacturing facilities to produce the packaged goods or even clothing.
No there's too many unexplained holes. I'll keep watching as it is entertaining to see if they can explain any of this.
It has been awhile since I disagreed so much with a comment on here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.