DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Sitcoms that ain't really funny ... but you watch them anyway ... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/607718-sitcoms-aint-really-funny-but-you-watch-them-anyway.html)

That'sAllFolks 01-05-13 11:15 PM

Sitcoms that ain't really funny ... but you watch them anyway ...

I see these more as light dramas. I enjoy them, but I rarely if ever laugh at them at all.
The Middle
Suburgatory
Raising Hope
How I Met your Mother
The Office (just because I did watch it when it was funny)

Ben and Kate is amusing. The English chick is funny at times.
Parks and Rec and Mod Family are not as funny as they used to be.

Where are the sitcoms of old that made you laugh every few minutes: Seinfeld, Fraiser, Cheers, MASH. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the newer comedies don't seem to include as many LOL moments. (Though there have been moments in past seasons of the Office that were really great). In fact, the show I find the funniest right now is Psych. I guess Big Bang Theory and 2 1/2 Men might fall into that category, but I find neither that great.

Gizmo 01-05-13 11:18 PM

Re: Sitcoms that ain't really funny ... but you watch them anyway ...

2.5 Men make you laugh but not The Middle or Raising Hope? You must be 65 years old. A

That'sAllFolks 01-05-13 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 11528771)
2.5 Men make you laugh but not The Middle or Raising Hope? You must be 65 years old. A

Not even close. Actually none of them make me laugh. I was pointing out that 2 1/2 Men and Big Bang Theory were more in the style of the older comedies. I really don't like either one.

DJariya 01-05-13 11:29 PM

Raising Hope is not funny? C'Mon man. I think that is one of FOX's funniest sitcoms next to New Girl. Goofy characters put into awkward situations, yet the show still has heart.

I tend to agree with Suburgatory. I like the show and watch it every week, but there are rarely any LOL LMAO moments.

The Middle can be really funny sometimes. It just depends on your taste in humor.

Mr. Salty 01-05-13 11:55 PM

Yeah, if you don't think Raising Hope is funny I have to question your sense of humor, or lack thereof.

TheKing 01-06-13 03:19 AM

I'd put Sports Night in this category. It was a half hour drama that was called a comedy. Sure it had some funny moments, but it was a drama at its core.

Double_Oh_7 01-06-13 04:15 AM

Scrubs

Terminal 01-06-13 05:36 AM

I've always had a masochistic relationship with Everybody Loves Raymond. The show is so mean spirited and badly written, but I can't stop watching it.

And The Office US. It's so painfully bland and mediocre, but I always watch it.

CrashNBurn69 01-06-13 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 11528766)
I see these more as light dramas. I enjoy them, but I rarely if ever laugh at them at all.
The Middle
Suburgatory
Raising Hope
How I Met your Mother
The Office (just because I did watch it when it was funny)

Ben and Kate is amusing. The English chick is funny at times.

Where are the sitcoms of old that made you laugh every few minutes: Seinfeld, Fraiser, Cheers, MASH. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the newer comedies don't seem to include as many LOL moments. (Though there have been moments in past seasons of the Office that were really great). In fact, the show I find the funniest right now is Psych. I guess Big Bang Theory and 2 1/2 Men might fall into that category, but I find neither that great.

It sounds like you just miss having laugh tracks in your shows.

PenguinJoe 01-06-13 06:28 AM

Raising Hope is funny but for me it's Rules of Engagement ever since it hit syndication its comes on like three times a day and I always click on it especially if its late and there's nothing else on except Duck Dynasty or Pawn Stars

mdc3000 01-06-13 07:44 AM

I absolutely agree with Suburgatory - it is like a drama now. I gave up How I Met Your Mother because it became 'just another CBS show' after starting off as something else. I think The Middle and Raising Hope can be hilarious and I laugh out loud a lot while watching both. Modern Family may have settled into a predictable formula, but they still deliver some excellent and hilarious episodes. I have no idea how the Parks and Rec comment got in there because I find it just as funny now as it has ever been, TV's best comedy.

Drexl 01-06-13 10:01 AM

I would put Louie in this category. It is funny at times, but it's more subtle than most comedies.

Bandoman 01-06-13 10:25 AM

Louis isn't always laugh-out-loud funny (although it is at times), but it is always thought provoking and entertaining. It's the best comedy out there IMO.

PopcornTreeCt 01-06-13 10:39 AM

Parks and Recreation is just as funny as Seinfeld.

Vipper II 01-06-13 11:10 AM

The Middle isn't laugh-out-loud funny, but it definitely has its charms and is frequently enjoyable.

Jimmy James 01-06-13 11:28 AM

Breaking Bad

Dude was much funnier on Seinfeld

Giantrobo 01-06-13 11:45 AM

2 broke girls. A corny show with few laughs. Of the 2 or 3 times I tuned in it was just to see Katt's breasts.

Deftones 01-06-13 11:49 AM

30 Rock. Used to be funny. It isn't anymore. Watching just out of obligation since it's done this season.

Tarantino 01-06-13 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James (Post 11529047)
Breaking Bad

Dude was much funnier on Seinfeld

Breaking Bad is the sequel to Seinfeld...it's what happened after he left dentistry.

Tarantino 01-06-13 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 11528766)

You so crazy

Jimmy James 01-06-13 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino (Post 11529075)
Breaking Bad is the sequel to Seinfeld...it's what happened after he left dentistry.

They really need to film an easter egg to the final season DVD set that involves Walt saying fuck this and going to re-start his dental practice in NYC. Bonus points for a Julia Louis-Dreyfus cameo.

SpanishTechno 01-06-13 02:24 PM

Whitney

Tarantino 01-06-13 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy James (Post 11529168)
They really need to film an easter egg to the final season DVD set that involves Walt saying fuck this and going to re-start his dental practice in NYC. Bonus points for a Julia Louis-Dreyfus cameo.

Aaron Paul had a good quote that Breaking Bad is even more awesome if you visualize it as a prequel to Malcolm in the Middle.

PhantomStranger 01-06-13 02:55 PM

The phenomena is called the rise of the dramedy. I think the joke-a-minute sitcoms of yesteryear are gone. CBS still gives it a try, but they have by far the oldest audience of the networks. It has to do with the shifting sands in the demographic profile of the average network viewer. Pure comedies have shifted to raunchier outlets like basic and premium cable. The closest thing today on network television outside of CBS, are the animated comedies on Fox.

Traxan 01-06-13 03:48 PM

2 Broke Girls. My interests depends purely on how much Kat boobage is on display.