TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twin Peaks Returns As Showtime Limited Series From David Lynch & Mark Frost

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: David Lynch May Have Met With NBC To Discuss Reviving ‘Twin Peaks’

Originally Posted by sven
The original started off really strong but I really lost interest about 2/3 of the way through season 1. The more I learned about Laura Palmer the less I cared about who killed her. I never even bothered to start season 2.
Same thing for me.

A new TP would last six weeks at most today.
Old 01-04-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Meh. Twin Peaks started strong but quickly went downhill. I dunno who's to blame, though. Lynch for where the story eventually headed or the viewers for demanding that the show reveal the killer ASAP (at least, that's how I remember it going down).
I place a bulk of the blame on Lynch and Mark Frost since it seems like neither one of them had any idea where to take the series once the killer was revealed. I was also disappointed that Fire Walk With Me didn't wrap anything up from the series and instead gave us a story we already knew the outcome to.
Old 01-04-13, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go for a revival if both Lynch and Frost were involved, but these are rumours that come around every now and then but never seem to come of anything.
Old 01-04-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Looking at the following from Wikipedia, it seems that Fire Walk With Me would have been a shitfest regardless of casting problems:

Twin Peaks had been canceled only a month when David Lynch announced he would be making a movie with French company CIBY-2000 financing what would be the first film of a three-picture deal. However, on July 11, 1991, Ken Scherer, CEO of Lynch/Frost productions, announced that the film was not going to be made because series star Kyle MacLachlan did not want to reprise his role of Special Agent Dale Cooper. A month later, MacLachlan had changed his mind and the film was back on.

The film was made without Twin Peaks series regulars Lara Flynn Boyle, Sherilyn Fenn and Richard Beymer. At the time, these absences were attributed to scheduling conflicts, but in a 1995 interview, Fenn revealed that the real reason was that she "was extremely disappointed in the way the second season got off track. As far as Fire Walk with Me, it was something that I chose not to be a part of." Fenn's character was cut from the script, Boyle was recast with Moira Kelly and Beymer's scenes were not filmed. In a September 2007 interview, Beymer claimed that he did not appear in any scenes shot for the movie, although his character, Benjamin Horne, appeared in the script.

Kyle MacLachlan's reluctance was also caused by a decline of quality in the second season of the show. He said "David and Mark [Frost] were only around for the first season... I think we all felt a little abandoned. So I was fairly resentful when the film, Fire Walk with Me, came around." Although he agreed to be in the film, MacLachlan wanted a smaller role, forcing Lynch and co-writer Robert Engels to re-write the screenplay so that the Teresa Banks murder was investigated by Agent Chester Desmond and not by Cooper as originally planned. MacLachlan ended up working only five days on the movie.
Old 01-04-13, 02:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love Fire Walk With Me. It's one of the most intense and disturbing films Lynch has ever made, and that's saying a lot.

What I cannot forgive is Lynch going off to do Wild at Heart instead of focusing on season two of Twin Peaks. Wild at Heart is one of his worst movies (with only Inland Empire being worse), so Twin Peaks fans got shafted and we got nothing good to show for it.
Old 01-04-13, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wild at Heart is terrific. Meanwhile, I was always cold to Twin Peaks.
Old 01-04-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

I suspect that Inland Empire might be one of the reasons Tarantino wants to retire when he turns sixty.
Old 01-04-13, 08:03 PM
Banned by request

I wouldn't blame him.
Old 01-04-13, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
What I cannot forgive is Lynch going off to do Wild at Heart instead of focusing on season two of Twin Peaks.
I think it's incorrect that he was working on Wild at Heart during season 2. The film was finished in May of 1990 while season 1 was still airing. It was released in the U.S. in August of 1990. The show was only renewed for season 2 on May 22, 1990. I think they covered this on the Gold Box and may have mentioned the actual reason he wasn't as involved in season 2.
Old 01-05-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Twin Peaks would be unwatchable in today's TV format (with onscreen bugs and excessive commercials.)
Old 01-05-13, 07:21 PM
Banned by request

You know what they could do? They could produce full episodes of Invitation To Love.
Old 01-05-13, 07:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Twin Peaks would be unwatchable in today's TV format (with onscreen bugs and excessive commercials.)
It would be fine.
Old 01-08-13, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
The original started off really strong but I really lost interest about 2/3 of the way through season 1. The more I learned about Laura Palmer the less I cared about who killed her. I never even bothered to start season 2.
Wouldn't that place you around episode 5? That's where I'm at with my rewatch, although I was a little leery after watching the pilot. I'm probably going to get some hate for this but I honestly thought the pilot was pretty dull. I thought it went on twice as long as it should have, which, I thought made pacing an issue. It kind of plodded along for 90 minutes and didn't really get anywhere. Also, despite David Lynch directing it, the pilot didn't feel very lynch-like to me. It felt unusually normal. Maybe it was strange by 1990 standards, but it didn't feel that odd to me. Dale Cooper kinda bugged me from time to time. There was more than one occasion where I wanted to yell at him "shut up about the coffee do your damn job."

I first saw this in early 2008 right after I received the set for Christmas, but the one thing I noticed in my rewatch was how no one really seemed unnerved by Laura's murder. I just find it strange since Twin Peaks is supposed to be this small, kind a isolated town where nothing really happens, then all of a sudden this girl gets murdered and no one was really freaking out about it. If this happened today you'd have cops all over the town looking for the murderer. It's kind of funny Lynch didn't make the show more paranoid and darker. It seems very tame compared to his other stuff, especially Blue Velvet.
Old 10-03-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

David Lynch and Mark Frost are being weird on Twitter...

Old 10-03-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lynch was also looking for someone on Twitter that could put him in touch with Everett McGill (Big Ed) about two months ago. Something good could be up.

Edit: Looks like they did get in contact with each other: http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/actors...mcgill-big-ed/

Last edited by windom; 10-03-14 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-03-14, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pipe dream: a third season, with every available cast member returning, set 25 years later. Let Netflix produce a 13-episode final season and drop it on fans all at once.

Oh, Christ, please make this happen.
Old 10-03-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Kcor stel!
Old 10-03-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Man, every couple of years these rumors pop up and they always end in disappointment. At this point I'd take any new film/tv work from Lynch, Twin Peaks or otherwise.
Old 10-03-14, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

It is happening again...

It is happening again...

Spoiler:
I hope!
Old 10-03-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I would happily subscribe to years worth of Netflix just to binge watch a third season in a day.
Old 10-03-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone brought up composer Angelo Badalamenti when Lynch got his career achievement award in Italy at the end of September, and David said this:

"Angelo is like my brother, and I want to work with Angelo again. Right now we don't have a project, but hopefully soon we will."
Was he just speculating, or did the "hopefully" mean he was close to making a deal with someone to bring TWIN PEAKS back?

I wouldn't have given today's "Twin Tweets" any credence had only David made the post, but since Mark Frost did as well (at the same time, no less), something has to be up. Usually when rumors in the past have come up, Frost was QUICK to shoot them down. This time he remains mysteriously silent.
Old 10-03-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's something interesting, notice the time on the tweets:

Also, one of the Twin Peaks sites posted on Twitter that TP would be returning as an 8 episode series (season?) on Showtime to be announced Monday. Though they said it was still just a rumor at this point.
Old 10-03-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's going to be coffee flavored gum.
Old 10-03-14, 04:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The owls are not what they seem...

Old 10-03-14, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21
It's going to be coffee flavored gum.
Which I will chew a piece of, fly to LA, and spit in Lynch's face.

The Showtime thing sounds too good to be true...but, if true, would be fantastic. No worries about censorship there, and it would actually make sense, since CBS owns Showtime AND CBS/Paramount put out the last Blu-ray set - so there's an established relationship there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.