Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twin Peaks Returns As Showtime Limited Series From David Lynch & Mark Frost

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: ‘Twin Peaks’ Returns As Showtime Limited Series From David Lynch & Mark Frost

I'm a little confused by these reports. Is the issue that Showtime doesn't want to give Lynch a big enough paycheck or that they don't want to give Lynch a big enough budget to do the show the way he wants?
Old 04-06-15, 11:23 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: ‘Twin Peaks’ Returns As Showtime Limited Series From David Lynch & Mark Frost

The way Lynch describes it, it sounds like budget.
Old 04-06-15, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a few sane people have mentioned this already but I really, REALLY cannot believe people are ok with Twin Peaks without Lynch (even if as long as "Frost" is there).

Regardless of what episodes he directed or wrote, his finger prints are all over the highlights of the series (all of Season 1, Season 2 up to Laura's killer is unveiled and then of course, the finale). You can see the dip in quality when Lynch backed off to focus on "Wild at Heart" (which is well documented). If people think Twin Peaks would have been the same without Lynch (even if he was involved on the writing side of things) are a bit a delusional.
Old 04-06-15, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
With the guy responsible for Island Empire. One could say this is doomed from the start!
Jesus that is a big stretch isn't it? Inland Empire is lower tier Lynch for sure, but it does not sit out of place with this rest of his films. If you are a Lynch fan (and it sounds like you are not), comparing Inland Empire to Fantastic Four is lunacy.
Old 04-06-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It's a big misconception that Lynch was not heavily involved in season 2 due to Wild at Heart. I'm pretty sure WAH was completed before season 2 of TP was commissioned by ABC.

Can you imagine scenes in the red room not directed by Lynch? I'm pretty sure he directed all of those in the original series.
Old 04-06-15, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thebunk
Jesus that is a big stretch isn't it? Inland Empire is lower tier Lynch for sure, but it does not sit out of place with this rest of his films. If you are a Lynch fan (and it sounds like you are not), comparing Inland Empire to Fantastic Four is lunacy.
I am a fan and own most of his movies, even Dune!

It was just a joke. Although one hasd to wonder exactly what Lynch can bring to the table these days given the "lower tier" results of Island Empire. But that said, I do think it's pointless to move forward if Lynch is not fully on board.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 04-06-15 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-06-15, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
That's fair. But the scripts are written and turned in already. So I'll stand by the original statement.
Except the scripts aren't the issue. It's the day to day running of the show, and all around vision for it. Still stand by your statement?
Old 04-06-15, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Except the scripts aren't the issue. It's the day to day running of the show, and all around vision for it. Still stand by your statement?
Yup. The vision is really in the scripts and the David Lynch you guys are nostalgic for doesn't exist anymore. He hasn't for over 20 years. I have no doubt that with the armada of talented producers Showtime has access to that they won't do a phenomenal job. I'm not saying that I prefer that Lynch isn't involved because that's not the case. Just that with his input already in the scripts another person at the helm doesn't scare me or make me want to see this project cancelled.

Last edited by starseed1981; 04-06-15 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-06-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
It's a big misconception that Lynch was not heavily involved in season 2 due to Wild at Heart. I'm pretty sure WAH was completed before season 2 of TP was commissioned by ABC.
Wild at Heart was shot during the year between production on the Twin Peaks pilot and season 1 proper. It debuted at Cannes before season 1 even finished airing. It was released wide in the summer before season 2 aired. Unless he was doing an ungodly amount of promotion for the movie even months after it had already been released, I can't see how Wild at Heart would have affected his involvement in season 2.

Can you imagine scenes in the red room not directed by Lynch? I'm pretty sure he directed all of those in the original series.
This is a good example of the kind of thing Lynch brings to the table. As most fans know, these scenes were shot for the international version of the pilot and were repurposed later on. It wasn't something that was planned or scripted for the series, but rather something that Lynch sort of improvised after seeing how that footage came out. The episodes he directed were filled with those sort of things and that was kind of the bedrock of the series. The other collaborators would build off of those sort of serendipitous moments. I just can't imagine that element being stripped away from Twin Peaks.
Old 04-06-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On his radio show today, Dalton Ross was basically saying that Lynch hasn't really done much TV or film directing lately so that he should really take whatever offer Showtime gives him. Dalton thought that Lynch hadn't even directed any movies after the year 2000. After having his producer doing some research, he went on about how Lynch hasn't directed anything except music videos and short films in the past 8 years. He was pretty much saying that Lynch isn't relevant anymore. Ugh....

Last edited by windom; 04-06-15 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-06-15, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

On his radio show today, Dalton Ross was basically saying that Lynch hasn't really done much TV or film directing lately so that he should really take whatever offer Showtime gives him. Dalton thought that Lynch hadn't even directed any movies after the year 2000. After having his producer doing some research, he went on about how Lynch hasn't directed anything except music videos and short films in the past 8 years. He was pretty much saying that Lynch isn't relevant anymore. Ugh....
As far as current tv and film is concerned, Lynch isn't relevant anymore. He made himself irrelevant by choosing to do other things. That doesn't mean I don't want him involved in new Twin Peaks.
Old 04-06-15, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
As far as current tv and film is concerned, Lynch isn't relevant anymore. He made himself irrelevant by choosing to do other things. That doesn't mean I don't want him involved in new Twin Peaks.
I don't think Lynch cares if he's relevant or not. The attitude I get from him is that he doesn't want anything to do with Hollywood, given he didn't pursue any Hollywood work after Mulholland Dr. But, Dalton Ross is right; Lynch hasn't really done anything noteworthy in the last couple years. The Showtime execs may have not wanted to take the same risks with him now that they may have taken 15-20 years ago.

That being said, I do hope this gets hammered out and Lynch doesn't get driven off the project. Even though I haven't cared much for his post-Twin Peaks output, I'm still interested in seeing what he can bring to the table with this. Even if it turns out he doesn't direct, I still want him involved in this.
Old 04-06-15, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

If anyone cares to check it out, Lynch's music is quite good.
Old 04-07-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bring in Diane Keaton. Her episode was so good!

Spoiler:
Old 04-07-15, 11:19 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I keep going back and forth on how I feel about all of this.
On one hand, I want Lynch to oversee the entire thing because Twin Peaks is what it is because of him. There's no question about that. If Twin Peaks is going to be revived after this long, he needs to be around to make sure it's the most Twin Peaksy it can be.

On the other hand, aside from some of the music he's done, and his guest appearance on Louie, I can't think of any of his work I've truly loved since Mulholland Dr., and I was/am a big fan of his films (except Inland Empire).

In other words, he needs to be involved in Twin Peaks if it resurfaces as promised. But maybe this whole thing would have been better off if left in the black lodge for eternity.
Old 04-07-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Honestly, if they had to do it without Lynch there are still enough of the original TP directors that are still actively directing TV. Namely Lesli Linka Glatter, Tim Hunter and Todd Holland. Glatter does a lot of work on Showtime shows so she would be an obvious choice. If anything Lynch should at least direct the first and the last episodes. It sounds like a lot of the actors aren't going to be happy without Lynch though. I'm not sure how many have already signed contracts. Hopefully they can still fix things and get him back on the project.
Old 04-07-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I think the big misconception is that Lynch was involved more than he actually was. Other than the pilot and the five other episodes he directed, he had very little to do with the day to day showrunning...Harley Peyton and Robert Engels were as much responsible for the success (and failure) of TWIN PEAKS as Lynch and Mark Frost were.

It's like when everyone points to Gene Roddenberry for Star Trek - the real brains behind the original series were Gene Coon and Robert Justman, not Roddenberry - yet Roddenberry gets all the credit because it was his original creation.
Old 04-08-15, 12:23 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BO934i9uO1c?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-08-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I note that Kyle is absent from the above video...probably because he's got a contract already and doesn't want to do anything to stop him from getting his money (he's most likely got a pay or play guarantee).

Does it seem odd to anyone else that Mark Frost has been mum about this as well? That's a pretty good sign that if David isn't coming back, Frost is full-steam ahead.

I honestly think all the complaining about Lynch is HURTING the show's chances of returning. I think Showtime was willing to go ahead without Lynch, but all the backlash will make them more likely just to scrap it. And don't think it's going to Netflix or HBO...Showtime OWNS the scripts that Lynch/Frost wrote at this point (they paid to have them written), and it's unlikely they'd just allow someone else to use them.
Old 04-08-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Unless that "someone" brings along a fat bag of cash.

I'm hopeful Sho can work out a deal with Lynch since clearly no one else wants to come back otherwise. I wonder how Kyle is feeling about all of this, being the only person signed.
Old 04-08-15, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I note that Kyle is absent from the above video...probably because he's got a contract already and doesn't want to do anything to stop him from getting his money (he's most likely got a pay or play guarantee).

Does it seem odd to anyone else that Mark Frost has been mum about this as well? That's a pretty good sign that if David isn't coming back, Frost is full-steam ahead.

I honestly think all the complaining about Lynch is HURTING the show's chances of returning. I think Showtime was willing to go ahead without Lynch, but all the backlash will make them more likely just to scrap it. And don't think it's going to Netflix or HBO...Showtime OWNS the scripts that Lynch/Frost wrote at this point (they paid to have them written), and it's unlikely they'd just allow someone else to use them.
Wow, now that right there is a shitton of assumptions right there.
Old 04-08-15, 09:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I recognized everyone in that video except the last one. Who is she?
Old 04-08-15, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
I recognized everyone in that video except the last one. Who is she?
Jennifer Lynch. David's daughter.
Old 04-08-15, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by thebunk
Wow, now that right there is a shitton of assumptions right there.
Regarding that last assumption - CBS (Showtime's parent company) owns the rights to Twin Peaks so it's safe to assume the product won't be shopped to HBO or FX.
Old 04-09-15, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Unless no money's been exchanged yet, there's no way this doesn't get made. Lynch might not be directing, but he didn't back in season 1 and 2 anyway. Maybe they can get him to be a consultant of sorts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.