DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Another "Walking Dead" showrunner steps down (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/607413-another-walking-dead-showrunner-steps-down.html)

Terminal 01-15-13 08:24 PM

Re: Another "Walking Dead" showrunner steps down

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 (Post 11542202)
I've seen it. Darabont shot that film with the TV crew he'd worked with on The Shield. It's very quick and dirty, but the character bits in it and the studies of mob dynamics are really fascinating.

Not a fan of the movie, but I appreciate the bleak nature of it. And Thom Jane, Darabont's first choice for Rick Grimes, would have been amazing.

You could play devil's advocate and argue that perhaps it's being carried on longer than the story would perhaps allow because of that. Not having read the comic that far, I can't attest to that, but I can see someone making the argument. I come in and out of comics and Manga largely for that reason, I get tired of the endless nature of stuff. I worry there may come a point when the money supersedes the creativity.

I don't blame you. These days 95 percent of comics are made just to transform them in to movies, or video games. But TWD has kept its dignity over the years, IMO.

I know, I'm just saying that basically, the only story to tell is of the characters attempting to survive from day to day. There isn't any clear destination, threat, etc. Mazzarra has sort of changed that this season with the Governor storyline, giving the narrative some suspense because he might find the group and something might happen, and the two narrative strands might collide, which they have.

It was like that in the comics as well. While I do admit to being an apologist, the comics did the governor storyline better.

The Walking Dead has a TV show budget, of course, and it can only open things up so much.

You make excellent points. The show will always be working toward an end point, or it may keep going like Gunsmoke or All My Children. Who knows? The comic however is still fresh in my opinion.

I think it gives it a relatablity. This is a premise as old as genre fiction itself-28 Days Later, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead, and on and on. I think the interpersonal dynamics and characters are interesting, lets hope they stay that way.

I, for one, can never get enough. Humanity never ceases to amaze and astound me. We can be incredibly cruel, incredibly stupid, and are incapable of relinquishing biases during times of stress, BUT we can also be heroic, courageous, and very helpful during times of crises.

Look at 9/11 and Katrina. The tragedies had their share of stories that made you hate being a human, but also made you trust in the spirit of humanity.

Again, the essential thesis of all of these stories.

Not entirely. Romero focused on the human in the monster, Kirkman focused on the monster in the human, Brooks focused on the intricacies of humanity during and after the apocalypse including the facades we wear, and Dan O'Bannon just made zombies dashing brain munching crack heads, lol! Hey, even I like zombies to be fun, too.

hahn 01-15-13 10:10 PM

Sigh. Can we PLEASE spoiler who's alive and who's not in the comic? The title of this thread is a discussion about the director. Is it unreasonable to expect it to be spoiler-free?

Abob Teff 01-15-13 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by hahn (Post 11542323)
Sigh. Can we PLEASE spoiler who's alive and who's not in the comic? The title of this thread is a discussion about the director. Is it unreasonable to expect it to be spoiler-free?

The director is dead ...

Terminal 01-16-13 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by hahn (Post 11542323)

The director said: nothing you idiot, the director's dead, he's locked in my basement.

PhantomStranger 01-16-13 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Terminal (Post 11542217)
I don't blame you. These days 95 percent of comics are made just to transform them in to movies, or video games. But TWD has kept its dignity over the years, IMO.

It's just about 100% of independent comic books these days. They are simply vehicles to get Hollywood's notice and get licensed for film or television.

hahn 01-16-13 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 11542396)
The director is dead ...

I was referring to Dragon Tattoo's complaint of who was still alive and well in the comics. I was catching up on the thread to see who the new director would be and voila, info I didn't want to know.

Dragon Tattoo 01-16-13 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by hahn (Post 11543523)
I was referring to Dragon Tattoo's complaint of who was still alive and well in the comics. I was catching up on the thread to see who the new director would be and voila, info I didn't want to know.

The main four characters are still alive (even in the show these are the main four characters now. Does anyone think Rick is going to die? Carl? Michonne? Andrea?). What a spoiler. Give me a break. -rolleyes-:lol:

In other news, some are also dead.

DJariya 01-16-13 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by hahn (Post 11543523)

It's not director. The show uses multiple directors. It's showrunner. If you don't know what a showrunner is, they are the head writer and Producer. They are responsible for approving scripts, keeping the show on schedule and on budget. They also are responsible for guiding the show's creative direction and have to deal with the network and their notes. They are also the ones who hire the writing staff.