DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Another "Walking Dead" showrunner steps down (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/607413-another-walking-dead-showrunner-steps-down.html)

Terminal 12-22-12 02:24 AM

Re: Another "Walking Dead" showrunner steps down

Originally Posted by burnside986 (Post 11515043)
Maybe my prayers that this show will wither and die have been heard, if only slightly.

Don't playa hate. Appreciate.

This show isn't going anywhere. Get used to it.

Terminal 12-22-12 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by burnside986 (Post 11515116)
I just think that Kirkmans a ****. I'll just leave it at that, k?

Kirkman's a pimp building an empire. I want this man to be my Jedi master. No one who is rich and famous is a nice guy, that's just the way of the world. I would take courses on being Kirkman.

Fanboys need to stop tearing down those who excel and learn from them. So the Big Bang Theory is a humongous hit, don't try to get it cancelled, learn. So people love those shitty ass RE movies. Don't try to get them taken out, learn. Kirkman found a premise that can be transformed in to any kind of merchandise they can think up, and he's collecting.

AMC is going to cling to this show for dear life and ride it until it's lost its appeal because the show brings in monstrous ratings. The marathons bring in huge ratings, the premieres bring in huge ratings, they were gone for a year and when they came back the viewers still came to watch. The show is bigger than Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Hell on Wheels combined.

Either suck it up and look for something else to enjoy, or go along for the ride. I love the show. I can't wait to continue watching it.

More power to him.

Dragon Tattoo 12-22-12 03:02 AM

Jesus Christ. Terminal, how's the view from between Kirkman's legs? :lol:

auto 12-22-12 07:59 AM

He makes a good point though, we're so quick to blast someone because of their success. Kirkman seems like biggest douche in the world but what did we expect...he's a comic book writer. :lol:

sven 12-22-12 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 11514629)
Get Mazzara to showrun AMerican Gods on HBO

Sounds good to me.

Michael Corvin 12-22-12 09:57 AM

If we're tossing out names, how about Jonathan Steinberg? He did the fantastic first season of Human Target and cult fave Jericho. Not sure why he came to mind, but if we got him then maybe we could get Mark Valley to join the cast, which is always a plus. :)

Mazzara: “My time as showrunner on The Walking Dead has been an amazing experience, but after I finish season 3, it’s time to move on. I have told the stories I wanted to tell and connected with our fans on a level that I never imagined. It doesn’t get much better than that. Thank you to everyone who has been a part of this journey.”
Translation: I got to do the fan favorites, Michonne and the Governor... my work is done.

d2cheer 12-22-12 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by burnside986 (Post 11515043)
Maybe my prayers that this show will wither and die have been heard, if only slightly.

Don't like it don't watch it. It really is that simple.

DJariya 12-22-12 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11515396)
If we're tossing out names, how about Jonathan Steinberg? He did the fantastic first season of Human Target and cult fave Jericho. Not sure why he came to mind, but if we got him then maybe we could get Mark Valley to join the cast, which is always a plus. :)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-series-319594

Already employed. Showrunner for new Starz series called "Black Sails"

Valley is also employed as well. Series regular on ABC show Body of Proof.

:lol: As I said earlier, not too many good unemployed TV showrunners lying around.

RocShemp 12-22-12 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 11515277)

:lol::up:

I like the show plenty but damn. Terminal sure has a hardon for Kirkman.

RocShemp 12-22-12 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11515417)

Treasure Island prequel? That sounds like fun. :up:

Terminal 12-22-12 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 11515277)

Don't kill the messenger, home slice. Kirkman created a formula for success, and people envy him for it. I'm a fan, tried and true.

Terminal 12-22-12 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11515424)
:lol::up:

I like the show plenty but damn. Terminal sure has a hardon for Kirkman.

Yeah, I know! Lol! I'm, like, the first guy in history to be a fan of someone who created a comic or hit TV show. That's such an anomaly, right?

Terminal 12-22-12 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 11515416)
Don't like it don't watch it. It really is that simple.

I never understood why people watch a show just to bash it. As soon as a show gets stale I drop it like a bad habit.

PhantomStranger 12-22-12 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Terminal (Post 11515440)
I never understood why people watch a show just to bash it. As soon as a show gets stale I drop it like a bad habit.

So if one of your favorite music acts releases a bad album, you never check out their future albums? Right...

Many shows hit lulls or bumps in the road that get corrected. If it were not for the much better pacing of season three, I think many viewers would have given up on The Walking Dead after its dull second season.

arminius 12-22-12 12:21 PM

Black Sails sounds interesting, 20 years before Treasure Island, John Silver before he was long and Flint. I hope Bay reigns it in though.

Mike86 12-22-12 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 11514766)
When did you stop? You're missing out, since i'd say this season showed losing Darabont wasn't a big loss at all.

I guess I really liked season one and the parts I saw of season two were just kinda meh to me. I just sort of lost interest in it. To me the whole zombie thing is kind of overdone now anyways and has been done better tons of times over with Romero films and Romero knock off films. :shrug: The only reason I was thinking of going back to it is because a lot of shows I watch are ending soon.

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11514773)
Mike doesn't watch anything not called Dexter. ;)

:lol: Dexter and South Park are just the only shows I create threads for (and actually the only reason I took over making Dexter threads from you this year was one day it was kind of late into the day and the thread wasn't started so I just kept on doing them).

I do like other shows besides Dexter though. I am sort of picky about what I watch though. I tend to not watch a lot of network stuff aside from The Simpsons and The Big Bang Theory. I'm more into cable (particularly premium channel) series. Breaking Bad is actually probably my favorite show on the air truthfully. I also really enjoy Mad Men a lot. Some of the HBO shows are pretty decent too like The Newsroom, Boardwalk Empire, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Girls.

Michael Corvin 12-22-12 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11515417)

Valley is also employed as well. Series regular on ABC show Body of Proof.

:lol: As I said earlier, not too many good unemployed TV showrunners lying around.

Well damn, I thought I was onto something. They could always give Dan Harmon a call. :lol:

Dragon Tattoo 12-22-12 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11515642)
Well damn, I thought I was onto something. They could always give Dan Harmon a call. :lol:

Nope, he's got a show in development with Adult Swim.

golden_rod 12-22-12 04:09 PM

I'm always surprised by how much of a dud people think the second season is. The chief problem with it is that for much of the season, Darabont paced it like a very long movie with things being doled out at a slower pace than television really allows because the weeklong breaks destroy any momentum. However, watching it back on Blu at home, I don't find it dull at all and really quite like it. Yeah, it has problems, but it plays so much better without those breaks.

fumanstan 12-22-12 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 11515616)
I guess I really liked season one and the parts I saw of season two were just kinda meh to me. I just sort of lost interest in it. To me the whole zombie thing is kind of overdone now anyways and has been done better tons of times over with Romero films and Romero knock off films. :shrug: The only reason I was thinking of going back to it is because a lot of shows I watch are ending soon.

Sounds like Darabont shouldn't be a major reason then, since he was a part of the slow start to Season 2.

That said, I think the Walking Dead (comics and TV show) are one of the better zombie stories out there.

Mike86 12-22-12 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 11515657)
Sounds like Darabont shouldn't be a major reason then, since he was a part of the slow start to Season 2.

That said, I think the Walking Dead (comics and TV show) are one of the better zombie stories out there.

It wasn't so much the slowness though. The first season wasn't really fast paced and I liked it. I just kind of grew bored of the whole zombie craze anyways by the time season two had rolled around. It's just so prevalent now in so many things (comics, video games, movies, shows, etc).

Darabont may have not been a strong reason for me to stay either if the quality stayed at what it was/is but him leaving wasn't exactly something I was keen on either. Especially since it seemed like AMC let him go for pretty petty reasons when he gave them a huge hit. Kind of like someone else mentioned it seems almost like AMC thinks the show is so big that it doesn't matter who they let go as long as they keep it on the air.

dex14 12-22-12 04:43 PM

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...wn-ryan-406222

starseed1981 12-22-12 04:51 PM

Shawn Ryan is right.

RocShemp 12-22-12 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Terminal (Post 11515437)
Yeah, I know! Lol! I'm, like, the first guy in history to be a fan of someone who created a comic or hit TV show. That's such an anomaly, right?

It's not that you're a fan. It's to the extreme that you were gushing about the guy.

I just did a marathon run of seasons 1 and 2, and liked 'em plenty. I can't wait 'til season 3 is released on BD to plow through that as well. But the show isn't the second coming.

hanshotfirst1138 12-23-12 10:21 AM

At least last time Mazzarra was under Darabont so they had someone to fill the void. This time they'll have to get someone from the outside. I'm sure David Simon could somehow make this story about the vestiges of civilization into some sort of political tract :p.