Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Philippines -- "Million Dollar Question" -- 12/16/2012 **Finale, Sunday**

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be the Sole Survivor?
Denise
21.05%
Lisa
15.79%
Malcolm
52.63%
Skupin
10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Philippines -- "Million Dollar Question" -- 12/16/2012 **Finale, Sunday**

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 12:58 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: Survivor: Philippines -- "Million Dollar Question" -- 12/16/2012 **Finale, Sunday

Lisa reminds me of Marg Helgenberger from CSI.
Old 12-17-12, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Survivor: Philippines -- "Million Dollar Question" -- 12/16/2012 **Finale, Sunday

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Survivor: Caramoans - Fans vs Favorites
And if the beaches look familiar, it's the exact same location that this season took place. Though I guess "Survivor: Caramoan" sounds better than "Survivor: Philippines again"

Originally Posted by windom
I'm a big Penner fan but it was a pretty douche move to out Lisa's acting past. As a fellow actor, I thought he would have kept quiet since it didn't really matter in regards to the game.
That really surprised and disappointed me. I thought Penner was about "respect" for the game, but didn't show much of it there. At first I thought he might've been trying to help Lisa, by pointing out another facet of her strategic gameplay by keeping this secret. But when he didn't vote for her, it makes sabotage the more likely explanation.

Originally Posted by mike7162
Lisa is looking Facts of Life fine!
I usually like how the women look on the island better than when they cake on the makeup ... but Lisa's an exception. Not that she looked bad on the island. She looks 10-15 years younger than her age easy.
Old 12-17-12, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by wirefan
A few things:
- I hope Lisa and Skupin enjoyed the 3 days without Abi.... dumbasses.
No kidding. They survive 35 days with her, and they can't survive three more?
Old 12-17-12, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I miss the days when Probst made more of a production of getting from the game area to the studio in Hollywood

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wRyWG_8HAFA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-17-12, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Yeah, that's all I was saying. All of the returning players and other random celebs that play the game are going to have some guaranteed votes for fan favorite. Malcolm didn't have that advantage and still came within .7% of winning the vote.

When they showed the preview for the family/friends episode, I told my friend that Mrs. Garrett was going to show up for Blair.
You missed my point completely. Just as Lisa might have been aided by the fact she was on a tv show many people have forgotten, about 30 years ago, Malcolm got a lot of votes simply because he was this season's heartthrob.

So they both got some votes that had nothing to do with how they played the game. I doubt Lisa Whelchel has a big following anymore, nor the ability to use her "celebrity" to get a ton of extra votes. She got most of them because she was well liked and some because she had some name recognition.

Just as Malcolm got votes for playing a terrific game and plenty more because he was a "cutie." Jeff was hardly the "best" player on BB, but we won 2 similar awards because he was also the "hot guy" of the season.
Old 12-17-12, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
You missed my point completely. Just as Lisa might have been aided by the fact she was on a tv show many people have forgotten, about 30 years ago, Malcolm got a lot of votes simply because he was this season's heartthrob.

So they both got some votes that had nothing to do with how they played the game. I doubt Lisa Whelchel has a big following anymore, nor the ability to use her "celebrity" to get a ton of extra votes. She got most of them because she was well liked and some because she had some name recognition.

Just as Malcolm got votes for playing a terrific game and plenty more because he was a "cutie." Jeff was hardly the "best" player on BB, but we won 2 similar awards because he was also the "hot guy" of the season.
Well, I think you missed my point too. I simply said that Lisa being a celebrity got her that small percentage that won the vote. I wasn't talking about anything else that would give two new (non-celebrity) players an advantage.
Old 12-17-12, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Great game from Denise.
Funny thing, I thought she honestly lost her chance during the jury questioning. Because her ego kicked in about being part of the final 3 and she started to act like she actually did stuff to get there rather then let Malcolm do everything and her just follow along.

She was all "I outwitted, I outlasted, I outplayed".

I went "You did not. Everyone else did and you were able to make it work for you."

Not a floater, but not the player she was trying to claim she was.

Which is why I really liked what Malcolm and Penner said to her. It was telling her that she didn't actually do all she'd like to think she did.
Old 12-17-12, 06:31 AM

Just for you.

These are the names floating around and one name in particular should get a huge collective groan from most fans.

Spoiler:

Andrea Boehlke, “Survivor: Redemption Island”
Brandon Hantz, “Survivor: South Pacific”
Brenda Lowe, “Survivor: Nicaragua”
Corinne Kaplan, “Survivor: Gabon”
Dawn Meehan, “Survivor: South Pacific”
Erik Reichenbach, “Survivor Micronesia: Fans vs. Favorites”
Francesca Hogi, “Survivor: Redemption Island”
John Cochran, “Survivor: South Pacific”
Malcolm Freberg, “Survivor: Philippines”
Phillip Sheppard, “Survivor: Redemption Island”

Just saw Lisa win fan favorite!!! Awesome!!!
If those names are true, i certainly have a few personal favorites in there and yes, here's my groan for the highlighted name. although someone does need to be the first out, I totally hope it's that one.

Congrats to Lisa winning the fan vote, and I'm happy for Denise to have won. Awesome to finally have a final 4 where I don't mind any of them winning.
Old 12-17-12, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Lisa's celebrity very likely cost her some fan votes as well.
Old 12-17-12, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by mike7162
Lisa is looking Facts of Life fine!
She looked good last night, no doubt. But man, she is not a good cryer. That shot of her crying when her brother came... OH MY GOSH!
Old 12-17-12, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Lisa's celebrity very likely cost her some fan votes as well.
But she won...
Old 12-17-12, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
But she won...
Yeah, but my counter has to do with people voting for her purely because she is a celebrity. Some likely voted for her because she is a celebrity and some likely voted against her because she is a celebrity.

Net effect: she very well may have won simply because people liked her, not because she was a celebrity decades ago, as was suggested in an earlier post.
Old 12-17-12, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I personally doubt Lisa's "celebrity" was a factor at all. Let's face it, as popular as she may have once been, she was never a mega-hot star and has been out of the spotlight for decades now. Had she not been so darn likeable on Survivor -- and played the kind of game that got her to the final 3 -- she never would've won the fan vote, regardless of her former fame.
Old 12-17-12, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Malcolm got a lot of votes simply because he was this season's heartthrob.
I'd guess a majority of the folks in this thread would've voted Malcolm over Lisa (it seemed as most in this season's threads liked him more than Lisa), so we must all be teenage girls.

And yes, Lisa being on Facts of Life almost certainly got her at least a bit of a boost in votes. Alison Rosen for sure.
Old 12-17-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have voted Skupin or Abi over anyone else in the top 5 as fan fanvorite but I knew no way Lisa or Malcolm were not gonna be top 2.

And if the names floating around are correct for next season I think most of the cast is pretty good but they should have not called it " favorites" since there are arguably only 2 people in that cast I would consider actual fan favorites. Although I would imagine most of the "fans" will be people they recruited from bars and clubs in LA who have never seen the show like most of the "fans" were in Micronesia and that was a pretty good season.
Old 12-17-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Definately looking forward to #3 on the list of returning players
Old 12-17-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Interview with Denise:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/17/su...enise-stapley/

She was the one who knew who Lisa was, and told Penner
Old 12-17-12, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
I miss the days when Probst made more of a production of getting from the game area to the studio in Hollywood

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wRyWG_8HAFA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Fuck yes!
Old 12-17-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Funny thing, I thought she honestly lost her chance during the jury questioning. Because her ego kicked in about being part of the final 3 and she started to act like she actually did stuff to get there rather then let Malcolm do everything and her just follow along.

She was all "I outwitted, I outlasted, I outplayed".

I went "You did not. Everyone else did and you were able to make it work for you."

Not a floater, but not the player she was trying to claim she was.

Which is why I really liked what Malcolm and Penner said to her. It was telling her that she didn't actually do all she'd like to think she did.
My friend took issue with that part of Denise's speech, but I thought Denise was right and being completely honest with what she said. She said, "I outwitted some of you, and I outplayed some of you, but I outlasted all of you." What's not accurate about that? She did outwit and outplay some of them. She never said she outwitted and outplayed everyone, but she did outlast all of them. That's why she was sitting there, and they weren't.
Old 12-17-12, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It clearly was a strategy that worked, so she made the right move.
Old 12-17-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanted Skupin to win. Didn't like Denise.
Old 12-17-12, 08:19 PM

They're seriously bringing back someone that was voted out first on her season and calling her a favorite?
Old 12-17-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Joseph L
They're seriously bringing back someone that was voted out first on her season and calling her a favorite?
They might as well go all the way with this idea and have an entire season of first vote outs. Someone has to win!!!
Old 12-17-12, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
They might as well go all the way with this idea and have an entire season of first vote outs. Someone has to win!!!
What about that singing schoolteacher who never even got to set foot on the beach? No love for her?
Old 12-17-12, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

So, regarding returning players:

Spoiler:
When Jeff asked Malcolm during the Reunion show if he would play again, and Malcolm said he would consider it, Malcolm had already finished filming Fans vs. Favorites, right?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.