DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   SNL - 12/15/12 - H: Martin Short - MG: Sir Paul McCartney (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/607294-snl-12-15-12-h-martin-short-mg-sir-paul-mccartney.html)

Jack Straw 12-16-12 11:45 AM

Re: SNL - 12/15/12 - H: Martin Short - MG: Sir Paul McCartney

To me it seemed almost bordering on bad taste for McCartney to sing about having a wonderful Christmas time during a time of national mourning.

TGM 12-16-12 12:23 PM

unarguably the worst Christmas song ever recorded.

oh, and Sir Paul, people don't want to hear your new shit, or grunging it out with Nirvana. Give us a Beatles tune, for fuck sake.

anomynous 12-16-12 12:44 PM

Grunge/Nirvana > The Beatles

Also that wasn't grunge at all.

Jack Straw 12-16-12 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe (Post 11508640)

oh, and Sir Paul, people don't want to hear your new shit, or grunging it out with Nirvana. Give us a Beatles tune, for fuck sake.

Yeah, he's never done that before.

JasonF 12-16-12 01:17 PM

Cut Me Some Slack is an amazing song, and I was glad to hear it, both on SNL and the 12.12.12 concert. My Valentine is beautiful. Sure, I'd love to hear Paul play Beatles songs, but there's only so much time in the show, and quite frankly, I'm glad we got Cut Me Some Slack instead of hearing Get Back yet again (not that I don't love Get Back -- it's probably my favorite Beatles song).

But if you want Paul doing classic stuff on SNL, check out his appearance with Paul Rudd from 2 years ago.

auto 12-16-12 03:14 PM

Add me to the camp of those who could do without McCartney rolling through two Beatles songs for the umpteenth time.

GuessWho 12-16-12 03:21 PM

cover version that is actually pretty good (ie no horrible warbly synthesizer effect like Paul's)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qReziqBwEr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rival11 12-16-12 03:30 PM

Hands down one of the worst ever. Didn't need 3 songs from McCartney and I can't stand him to begin with. I can just picture him throwing a tantrum like a child if they said he could only play 2 songs.

I only liked Baldwin as Tony Bennett.

I thought SNL was good for the past 3 years that people have been bashing it......now, I think its fucking horrible myself.

Strafe 12-16-12 03:51 PM

One of my favorites. :shrug:

JasonF 12-16-12 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11 (Post 11508873)
Hands down one of the worst ever. Didn't need 3 songs from McCartney and I can't stand him to begin with. I can just picture him throwing a tantrum like a child if they said he could only play 2 songs.

:lol: So now, because you don't like Paul McCartney, you've decided he's a prima donna who through a temper tantrum? Is there any evidence for that whatsoever? And is there any TV producer anywhere who wouldn't, if given the opportunity, put as many Paul McCartney performances into his variety show as possible?

I thought SNL was good for the past 3 years that people have been bashing it......now, I think its fucking horrible myself.
So stop watching.

Nabalab 12-16-12 05:54 PM

It wasn't a terrible show, better than some this season.

Thought the cold opening with the children's choir was appropriate, and classy.

I liked Paul + Nirvana, but I would have loved to see them tackle a Nirvana song (Smells Like Teen Spirit, Lithium, etc).

I think the only thing I liked about Martin Short was his Larry David impression. Pretty....pretty good! Baldwin did a great Tony Bennett too.

I don't hate "What's Up With That" as much as most, but Samuel L. Jackson's cameo would have been a lot better if he hadn't already been on camera during the monologue. And if anyone can "get away" with swearing on national TV, it should be him.

SpanishTechno 12-16-12 08:02 PM

Meh. I did like the 'royal vagina' sketch, and WU was pretty good.

Giles 12-16-12 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Strafe (Post 11508900)
One of my favorites. :shrug:

I like McCartney's X-mas song too. as for the second song he sung, ugh... THAT was horrible.

Rival11 12-17-12 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 11508956)
:lol: So now, because you don't like Paul McCartney, you've decided he's a prima donna who through a temper tantrum? Is there any evidence for that whatsoever? And is there any TV producer anywhere who wouldn't, if given the opportunity, put as many Paul McCartney performances into his variety show as possible?

So stop watching.

Hey thanks Paul, I am a fan of the show and have been for years.....I was giving my critism of the season up to this point and the show listed in thread title. I will be sure to never watch this show again after your help.

TheBang 12-17-12 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11508508)
Yeah, I thought there was an uncomfortable gap between the children singing and Martin Short coming out acting wacky...he should have just came out, said something about the tragedy, said we're going to try and have a few laughs tonight that we hope you'll enjoy, went to commercial, and THEN went on with the show. It was just weird watching those kids singing and then jumping into Short's wacky antics. Maybe it was just me.

What? On the Hawaii feed, the kids sang the song, and at the end of the song it was a fade to black. Then it came back up from black and the kids said "Live from New York it's Saturday Night" and then the opening credits. Was there something cut here?

GuessWho 12-17-12 10:41 PM

The fade to black was intentional. It was symbolically the transition from the solemnity of the song to the usual SNL-ness.

islandclaws 12-18-12 12:00 PM

Even if the sketches weren't great - because they weren't - Short just provided a master class on how you do sketch comedy.

How out of his league was Pharaoh acting opposite Baldwin and Short?

WUWT is always fun. Sudeikis killed it.

McCartney's rock/grunge/whatever song was molten lead being poured into my ears. Make it stop!

GrouchoFan 12-18-12 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 11508458)
Outside of Sam's expletives :lol:, that was horrible

In the Closed Captioning, they have Jackson saying "Mother Farter!"

GuessWho 12-18-12 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by GrouchoFan (Post 11511219)
In the Closed Captioning, they have Jackson saying "Mother Farter!"

What a coincidence! That's the name of the McCartney/Nirvana song!

Bill Needle 12-18-12 07:02 PM

Worth watching for Short's impression of Larry David.

I actually enjoyed this episode more than most. That's not saying a lot, but it was OK. Short sometimes wears thin with me, but I thought he did really well. I liked him better than when he was a cast member. The sketch with McCartney (and the triangle, ironically Ed Grimley's instrument of choice) was a good example. And against my better judgement I still enjoy what's up with that sketches, even though the only difference between them is the first two guests and the random characters that parade out during the singing, like Mrs Grinch.

TheBang 12-18-12 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 11510616)
The fade to black was intentional. It was symbolically the transition from the solemnity of the song to the usual SNL-ness.

Yeah, I guess I misread Shannon Nutt's post. I thought he was implying that the kids were singing the song, and then the KIDS jumped into Martin Short's wacky antics. I'm guessing Shannon fast-forwarded over the opening credits and such, if he thought the kids' singing and Martin's monologue felt too close together.

GuessWho 12-22-12 03:35 PM

NBC is airing a 60-minute version of this episode in primetime tonight.

jjcool 12-23-12 01:44 AM

Just watched the episode. I liked it. A couple of decent sketches. Highlights for me were tony Bennett and the opening monologue. I always enjoy when the show backstage and the random people and animals they find back there. I also liked the Sam Jackson swears. That's always fun.
Paul wasn't bad. The first song he did was good. I had heard it before. Second song was fucking terrible. Third song was t bad. It is the season after all. Is it me or does Paul's voice always sound weak or strained?

GuessWho 12-23-12 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 11515993)
I always enjoy when the show backstage and the random people and animals they find back there

Not so random. Always included in the background are showgirls, Abraham Lincoln and a llama.