The Office -- "Dwight Christmas" -- 12/06/12

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
The Office -- "Dwight Christmas" -- 12/06/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

When the party planning committee drops the ball on the annual Christmas party, Dwight (Rainn Wilson) gets everyone to celebrate with a traditional Schrute German Christmas. Darryl (Craig Robinson) fears Jim (John Krasinski) has forgotten his promise to take him along to the new job in Philadelphia. Meanwhile, Pete (Jake Lacy) teaches Erin (Ellie Kemper) about his favorite movie Die Hard. Jenna Fischer, Leslie David Baker, Phyllis Smith, Angela Kinsey, Brian Baumgartner, Oscar Nunez, Kate Flannery, Paul Lieberstein, Creed Bratton, and Catherine Tate also star.

Read more: Listings - OFFICE, THE on NBC | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2ELeDYsev

Episode 9 of 22
Old 12-07-12, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Office -- "Dwight Christmas" -- 12/06/12

Ouch. No comments yet? I thought it was pretty enjoyable, although I continue to find it odd how they can work with no manager, do no actual work and keep their jobs.
Old 12-07-12, 08:31 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Ouch. No comments yet? I thought it was pretty enjoyable, although I continue to find it odd how they can work with no manager, do no actual work and keep their jobs.
Not to mention the fact that they spent several episodes showing Catherine Tate's character fighting Andy for the position of manager and now with him off on a 'boat trip' she seems to have lost all interest.

This show used to have such smart thoughtful writing and now its reduced to a punch and judy show with characters beating on each other for laughs. Sad.
Old 12-07-12, 08:36 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I thought the episode last night was actually pretty decent. Dwight's bit was actually kind of funny and Darryl's final moment was pretty good too.
Old 12-07-12, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh shut up. They certainly do actual work. Heck, just last week they worked awful hard on intentionally losing a big client!

I still love this show, but I wont deny the drop in the writing and overall quality. I thought last week and this week were pretty funny episodes for sure.

They have canceled the Dwigt spin off, correct?

EDIT:

Looks like I missed the official announcement on that.

I'll enjoy watching the final episodes of The Office. I'll still be sorta sad to see it go. Once upon a time, it was without a doubt my favorite show on TV. It's still up there for me, so I'll miss it. I just wish they hadn't fizzled out like this over the past few seasons.

Last edited by Brent L; 12-07-12 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-07-12, 09:04 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

The holiday episodes never are a let down.
Old 12-07-12, 09:45 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Clarke Duke was HILARIOUS last night.
Old 12-07-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Yes, because showing people working is GREAT television
Old 12-07-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Har har. You know what I mean. It wouldn't be that hard to have an occasional sales call or customer visit to remind us that Dunder Mifflin still sells paper (or is it printers now?), especially since the company's been on thin ice several times during the show's run. Even a call to (or appearance from) David Wallace would be nice to remind us that he's still part of the picture, especially during Andy's absence.
Old 12-07-12, 01:55 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good episode, but that last segment Nellie coming on to Tobie pretty much sum up the way this season has gone. It's not funny, and the plot development is so not worthwhile. Usually the last segment is the prime spot where they put a quick one-line zinger. Really, two people kissing got approved as the material for that segment?
Old 12-07-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Har har. You know what I mean. It wouldn't be that hard to have an occasional sales call or customer visit to remind us that Dunder Mifflin still sells paper (or is it printers now?), especially since the company's been on thin ice several times during the show's run. Even a call to (or appearance from) David Wallace would be nice to remind us that he's still part of the picture, especially during Andy's absence.

Didn't they just do both of these a few episodes ago when Wallace had Dwight go make that sales pitch to Jan?
Old 12-07-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought that German Dwight Santa thing was possibly the worst thing I've seen on TV, maybe ever. I can't tell you how much that part annoyed me. So, so dumb. I would watch an entire episode of him and Michael driving into the lake before I'd watch another second of that. Yikes.

Not a horrendous episode outside of the few minutes of German Santa, but I didn't get many laughs out of it. Drunk Daryl was pretty funny, and Meredith referring to her balls several times was funny, I didn't really like much other than that.
Old 12-07-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Belsnickel judges your comment.... Impish!

Old 12-07-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
I thought that German Dwight Santa thing was possibly the worst thing I've seen on TV, maybe ever. I can't tell you how much that part annoyed me. So, so dumb. I would watch an entire episode of him and Michael driving into the lake before I'd watch another second of that. Yikes.
Although I've been pretty meh about The Office for awhile now, I have to disagree. I thought Dwight's Santa bit was one of the funnier things I've seen on this show this (and in many a) season.

While I agree with most of the foregoing comments about the show being played out and tired, and just plain weakly written anymore, I will give credit in that this season has seemed closer in spirit to the early (good) seasons than many of the latter (bad) seasons. I'm guessing that is probably due to Greg Daniels returning this year. That being said, I'm glad it is coming to an overdue end.
Old 12-07-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jim and Pam's relationship has gotten so pathetic. I used to like these characters and them as a couple, but really Jim? Can't go an hour without seeing the wife? They are just such lame characters now.
Old 12-08-12, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Jim and Pam's relationship has gotten so pathetic. I used to like these characters and them as a couple, but really Jim? Can't go an hour without seeing the wife? They are just such lame characters now.
Pretty sure he came back to see everyone since it was going to be his last Christmas party at Dunder-Mifflin. Seemed pretty obvious to me.

And it's lame to love your wife? Some of you people are so weird.
Old 12-09-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Pretty sure he came back to see everyone since it was going to be his last Christmas party at Dunder-Mifflin. Seemed pretty obvious to me.

I think he even says as much about it being his last Dunder-Mifflin Christmas party. Wondering how many of the characters will still be working there at the end of the last episode.

And I agree with those who liked the episode. Really enjoyed it. I'm gonna miss the character of Dwight.
Old 12-09-12, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of an awful season, this was the least awful episode of the year.
Old 12-09-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by atxbomber

It's not lame to love your wife but it's lame, creepy and pathetic to not be able to handle being out of her sight for an hour.
Old 12-09-12, 12:12 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
It's not lame to love your wife but it's lame, creepy and pathetic to not be able to handle being out of her sight for an hour.
Yeah, that's not what happened. He found out there was an early morning bus and decided he'd rather spend his time with his wife and friends than alone in a hotel room in Philasomething.
Old 12-10-12, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Belsnickel judges your comment.... Impish!

'Belsnickel, I gotta run out early too,' was the funniest line of the season.
Old 12-12-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
Not to mention the fact that they spent several episodes showing Catherine Tate's character fighting Andy for the position of manager and now with him off on a 'boat trip' she seems to have lost all interest.

This show used to have such smart thoughtful writing and now its reduced to a punch and judy show with characters beating on each other for laughs. Sad.
The continuity is definitely off for this final season. Andy goes off without leaving anyone in charge of the office (didn't he do this just last season and had to fight to get his job back?) and neither Dwight nor Catherine Tate's character tries to make a powerplay. Jim blatantly starts working a second job while keeping his current one and Dwight doesn't even call him on it. Andy spends all that time trying to win over Erin and then couldn't care less about her (granted he is going through a mid-life crisis). They start mentioning the documentary crew. Jim's big "joke" is to let Dwight do go to do his crazy stuff around the office, which doesn't seem to be much of a joke (I wasn't clear if he was just trying to be nice, but it did seem like they were trying to mess with him... but in the past they've pretty much resisted all of his crazy plans, so why ruin the Christmas party by letting him run it)?

I did like Dwight missing Jim, but I think they overplayed it at the end to make it very obvious. And is Pam still mad about being left in the dark about the other job, or is it just that she's going to miss Jim?
Old 12-12-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Who is the Strangler?
Old 12-13-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Who is the Strangler?
I don't know but it would be great if, in the series finale, the Strangler was hiding in Toby's back seat and emerged to strangle him to death.

That doesn't sound funny as I read it but, trust me, it's hilarious in my head.
Old 12-13-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

It's about as funny as Oscar sleeping with Angela's husband/father of their child. So I can see it happening.

This episode was great. First one in a while that I really loved. I thought everything worked. Dwight's going to miss Jim. How sweet.

The Scranton strangler should be revealed to be Creed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.