Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 05:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Stephen King's Under The Dome - Spielberg Produced - CBS

Agree with a lot of assessments re: the somewhat lame, predictable, filled-with-holes plots. Don't hate the show & we'll keep watching on demand during our lunch breaks, but it's a far cry from 'must-see-tv'.

Which make Les Moonves' comments even funnier. In the current EW, he first complained about shows such as Game of Thrones having 3 x the budgets and 3 x the shooting time compared with broadcast tv (saving that such shows provide "unfair" Emmy competition).

And then he went on to laud UTD as "TV the way it can be" and "TV the way it should be" (not exact quotes but close enough). He made it sound as though UTD will be regarded as a high water mark in broadcast tv history.

Shameless promotion is one thing, but these comments were just embarrassing.
Old 08-08-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Just the one side of the dome. The other should be fairly untouched.
Doubtful - the shockwave alone would level the other side.
Old 08-09-13, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having a hard time connecting emotionally with any of these characters. Scenes that are supposed to be tear-jerking or exciting just come across as boring and predictable, IMHO.

It's not like there aren't some characters who are written to be likeable, but it seems that there are too many from the Stephen King stock cast.

And I'm not immune to schlocky melodrama, either, since Army Wives can get to me a lot more than UTD (or Siberia, or Falling Skies, etc.). Just not invested in these people at all.
Old 08-09-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Windows 8 phones. Windows 8 tablets. Windows 8. Windows 8. Windows 8.
Nah, I don't think it's been overbearing, except why was an electronic device suddenly allowed right next to the Dome? Haha. You want to see overbearing product placement? Check out "House of Cards." Good god! Laughable Apple placement EVERYWHERE.
Old 08-09-13, 10:47 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
Nah, I don't think it's been overbearing, except why was an electronic device suddenly allowed right next to the Dome? Haha. You want to see overbearing product placement? Check out "House of Cards." Good god! Laughable Apple placement EVERYWHERE.
Yep, this is typical for most things David Fincher is involved with. I was surprised there wasn't an Apple logo tattooed on one of the prisoners in Alien3.

Actually, I find Apple's product placement in [nearly everything] to be more intrusive than what MS is doing on UTD. Facetime... Siri... MacBooks... they're everywhere... and not because "that's what people actually use."
Old 08-11-13, 01:49 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Definitely a disappointment execution of a great premise

I wish there was some showing of what was going on outside the dome, maybe just 10 percent of the time.

God that stupid teenage girl deserves to die and get raped. When offered a deal by Big Jim to keep her mouth shut, instead of saying "no problem" just so she could get out of there she says "i have to think about it". You don't need to keep your word you silly beeth ! Just get to safety first !

Junior is the most stupid character i have ever seen in a tv series.
Old 08-11-13, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J

(I still really liked the show.)
Old 08-11-13, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought lesbian mom had the worst scenes from the start of this show. Junior may be lame (though he's getting better), but Alice committed the sin of being absolutely boring. So I'm actually thrilled she's gone. Now hopefully Carolyn will become a better character because of this.
Old 08-12-13, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For some reason I'm drawn to awesomely bad TV and this show doesn't disappoint. To be honest, I'm mainly watching for Dean Norris but his acting in this seems so downright cheesy compared to that of Hank in Breaking Bad, but I would have to think its mainly the writing.

The show has Lost wannabe written all over it. It's no wonder the ratings are high, though. I feel compelled to see what's next. It's like a train wreck, but most of the cast is very generic and I'm just kind of meh to the characters.
Old 08-12-13, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: hi....here something for u

Originally Posted by anurag
Industries is a manufacturers suppliers exporters of wire mesh, Chainlink Fencing, Filter Elements, Welded Wire Fabrics, Perforated Sheets, Expanded Metals, Vibrating Screens.

5 Twelled Weave
Heavy Mesh
ZigZag Patented Weave
Cool thanks for the info.
Old 08-12-13, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by My Other Self
. To be honest, I'm mainly watching for Dean Norris but his acting in this seems so downright cheesy compared to that of Hank in Breaking Bad, but I would have to think its mainly the writing.

This.

Norris is cruising on autopilot in UTD. It's mostly the writing. It's actually pretty jarring seeing him on one of the best shows of all time...and then having to suffer through this dross. Especially at the same time.
Old 08-12-13, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Re: hi....here something for u

Originally Posted by anurag
J. J. Wirecloth Industries is a manufacturers suppliers exporters of wire mesh, Chainlink Fencing, Filter Elements, Welded Wire Fabrics, Perforated Sheets, Expanded Metals, Vibrating Screens.

5 Twelled Weave
Heavy Mesh
ZigZag Patented Weave
Is this germane to the episode in question, or just the worst spam ever?
Old 08-12-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
This.

Norris is cruising on autopilot in UTD. It's mostly the writing. It's actually pretty jarring seeing him on one of the best shows of all time...and then having to suffer through this dross. Especially at the same time.
I just started watching Breaking Bad and was shocked at this very thing.
Old 08-12-13, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

WTF. I didn't know Vaughan was involved with this show. Might have to start watching.
Old 08-12-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
WTF. I didn't know Vaughan was involved with this show. Might have to start watching.
That's what got me to watch initially, but it was too dumb for me to get past 3 episodes. This is a network show, through and through, and has none of BKV's signature stamps on it whatsoever.
Old 08-12-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Tonight's episode was my favorite so far. It had a Lost feel to it. One thing I like about this show is they're not afraid to kill off characters (although they've all been minor ones so far).
Old 08-12-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
That's what got me to watch initially, but it was too dumb for me to get past 3 episodes. This is a network show, through and through, and has none of BKV's signature stamps on it whatsoever.
Damn. I never saw Lost either, but I heard he at least did good on the episodes he was involved with. And now I read Dean Norris isn't given much to work with.
Old 08-12-13, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn. I never saw Lost either, but I heard he at least did good on the episodes he was involved with. And now I read Dean Norris isn't given much to work with.
I feel like I have to ride the season out now, but you're not missing anything. Seeing Dean Norris' performance last night compared to this dreck is complete night and day. He comes off as a twirly-mustache kind of villain who asserts authority and attempts to power over the rest of the town. If I had never seen Breaking Bad and saw him in this I wouldn't think twice but knowing what he's actually capable of it's really kind of sad.
Old 08-12-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I'll hold off. Dean Norris wanted to be killed off in 5A of Breaking Bad in order to accommodate shooting a new series, presumably this one. That would have sucked ass, but Vince Gilligan turned him down, for good reason.
Old 08-13-13, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I'll hold off. Dean Norris wanted to be killed off in 5A of Breaking Bad in order to accommodate shooting a new series, presumably this one. That would have sucked ass, but Vince Gilligan turned him down, for good reason.
It was. I read an interview with him in Esquire, and he said it was mainly because of pressure from his wife. He's got 5 kids and with Breaking Bad ending he wanted a steady paycheck.

I found it funny, though, since I had thought it was only recently announced that the show was going to be coming back for a second season and not stay a miniseries. He must've thought different when he was offered the role.
Old 08-13-13, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah that five kids thing was funny, since he was in Total Recall, and the in that the taxi driver kept saying "I have five kids to feed!"
Old 08-13-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the dome a Cocoon?
Lots of butterflies around as a hint?
Old 08-13-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Is the dome a Cocoon?
Lots of butterflies around as a hint?
"Monarch will be crowned" refers to Monarch Butterfly is what I was thinking.
Old 08-13-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

True could mean a few things. While I doubt a butterfly will become king couldn't monarch refer to a king or leader if sorts?

So someone or something will be crowned literally or metaphorically.

Unless a race of giant butterflies is about to emerge.
Old 08-13-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm… didn't Angie decide to leave town in the first episode? With her snow globe collection from places her friends went but she never did indicating she's never left town, could her decision to finally leave have triggered the dome's appearance in the first place… to keep her in town so the "monarch will be crowned"?

Perhaps some alien thing has been seeded within them.

I also find it interesting that they refer to the inner thing as an egg. Seeing the whole dome as an egg for the monarch taken literally could mean the monarch is meant to "devour" the contents of the egg/dome as it's initial sustenance before "invading" the rest of the world. Could mean Angie may develop to be a serious problem for the people.

Just some passing thoughts if they really start moving the plot in a more dark sci-fi direction.

I also thought a big twist could be if the dome was completely about protection and preservation and at some point the world outside gets completely destroyed and they're the only one's left, preserved by some alien force.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.