Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Stephen King's Under The Dome - Spielberg Produced - CBS

At least things are picking up. Still bracing for a letdown on the season ender.
Old 08-06-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

The show is so far departed from the book it's like a whole new experience --- and I'm not a fan.
Old 08-06-13, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
And this is the first time anyone has thought to go to the center of the doom? Really?
It's not terribly surprising. The dome itself occupies everybody's attention.

One of the problems I have is that grocery stores typically have only a few days worth of food. They should be running out of food very soon. How is the show going to keep people alive?

Last edited by aynrandgirl; 08-06-13 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-06-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
One of the problems I have is that grocery stores typically have only a few days worth of food. They should be running out of food very soon. How is the show going to let these people live?
They keep mentioning the crops the farmer has. I imagine, being a rural New England town, people do a lot of canning and preserving of foods.
Old 08-06-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the problems I have is that grocery stores typically have only a few days worth of food. They should be running out of food very soon. How is the show going to let these people live?
they will watch episodes of Under the Dome, and lose their appetites. with no TV reception, it will be via cell phone video. also something will catch fire, like an old boot or a tin can, and they will be distracted.

i have about 4 episodes to catch up on, and i wonder if i should try to return to the show, or just "hate-read" reviews.
Old 08-06-13, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

It's not terribly surprising. The dome itself occupies everybody's attention.
A few people do appear to have some free time. I just assumed someone on the show checked that out as a possible power source for for a shape would likely be in the middle.
Old 08-06-13, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by grenier
They keep mentioning the crops the farmer has. I imagine, being a rural New England town, people do a lot of canning and preserving of foods.
Only for themselves, and typically only for non-staple items. A few jars of canned fruit preserves or soup only keeps you alive a handful of extra days. Basically, they should run out of food in less than a week.
Old 08-06-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another thing the town should do is see if there are any useful medications for people stuck outside the dome that could be useful to other people. It could also be possible that someone there has some emergency food that can last for years, likely not a ton and I imagine they would not want to tell anyone else at first.
Old 08-06-13, 05:07 PM

Another thing the town should do is see if there are any useful medications for people stuck outside the dome that could be useful to other people.
I assume house raids are already happening, just like store looting has. We've seen the two teenagers raid houses for insulin, for example.
Old 08-06-13, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It could also be possible that someone there has some emergency food that can last for years, likely not a ton and I imagine they would not want to tell anyone else at first.
If I remember correctly, in the book:

Spoiler:
Wasn't there a fallout shelter beneath City Hall that was well stocked?
Old 08-06-13, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

A few people do appear to have some free time. I just assumed someone on the show checked that out as a possible power source for for a shape would likely be in the middle.
They are under strict orders from the military forces a foot away on the other side of the transparent dome to limit their activities to milling about aimlessly, whilst the military shall do the same. When milling about on foot is not an option, drive vehicles whenever possible (especially if the distance to cover is ridiculously short) and haplessly set things on fire. But under no circumstance shall there be any effort to engage those inside the dome to contribute to lessening their predicament in even the simplest or most obvious of ways.
Old 08-06-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
They are under strict orders from the military forces a foot away on the other side of the transparent dome to limit their activities to milling about aimlessly, whilst the military shall do the same. When milling about on foot is not an option, drive vehicles whenever possible (especially if the distance to cover is ridiculously short) and haplessly set things on fire. But under no circumstance shall there be any effort to engage those inside the dome to contribute to lessening their predicament in even the simplest or most obvious of ways.
Somethings hardly make any sense while others are okay. Another factor would be figuring out how large the dome was before the center could be found, from the inside that could take a little time. It seems no one is even bothered to do so and they really are implying this dome is at least ten miles across. From any image they show it looks MUCH smaller then that. Ten miles across is far larger then one small town.
Old 08-06-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This show suddenly seems a lot different than the first few episodes. The weird apparitions of people and other stuff seems like they are trying to make the dome like the island in Lost. I am not sure where they are going with this, but I will take it over the first few episodes which pretty much could have taken place in any town not under a dome.

And I am glad Angie is finally out of captivity. I think I will like her character now that she can actually do something.
Old 08-07-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Damn, it they keep killing people off, there's not going to be much of a cast left.
Old 08-07-13, 05:23 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I think Junior is my favorite character now.

oh, and this show is putrid. but I continue to watch, like a fucking drunken lemming.
Old 08-07-13, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I think Junior is my favorite character now.

oh, and this show is putrid. but I continue to watch, like a fucking drunken lemming.
If you think about it junior is the most rational person in the dome.
Old 08-07-13, 09:16 AM

Another factor would be figuring out how large the dome was before the center could be found, from the inside that could take a little time. It seems no one is even bothered to do so and they really are implying this dome is at least ten miles across. From any image they show it looks MUCH smaller then that. Ten miles across is far larger then one small town.
Didn't the kid (Joe?) say he calculated it when the dome first came down?
Old 08-07-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
Yeah, he mapped it out with his skater dude friend. That's how he was able to find the center in the last episode.

Speaking of which, how did the center dome get so perfectly covered with dirt and leaves?
Old 08-07-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by arminius
If you think about it junior is the most rational person in the dome.
How is Junior the most rational person in the dome? It's rational to keep a girl imprisoned because she dumps you? It's rational as a law enforcement officer to summarily shoot someone because they committed a crime? Now let's compare that to, say, Barbie. How is Junior more rational than Barbie? Are we talking about the same Junior?
Old 08-07-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I'll say this for Under the Dome, it's better than shows like Revolution and Jericho...but not by much. CBS is clearly positioning it as the bastard offspring of Lost and a post-Apocalypse environment.

At least that solves the never-ending dilemma for the insulin storyline.
Old 08-07-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

So Junior was playing Charles Bronson in this episode.

I wasn't quite clear what Alice died from. It was a heart attack right?

That was kind of a heart wrenching scene.

The woman who played the pregnant lady was actually on Blue Bloods last season. Gotta love how they recycle actors.

Next week looks interesting now that they're addressing the dwindling food supplies.
Old 08-07-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
I thought that was done a few episodes back and I must have assumed someone would go to the center of a giant dome to look for a power source.
Old 08-07-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Anyone else notice the other side of the dome was sunny and clear this week - shouldn't it be all ashes?
Old 08-07-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just the one side of the dome. The other should be fairly untouched.
Old 08-07-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a ludicrous show! I'm a Stephen King fan so I decided to watch it, but at this point I'm only sticking around to mock it.

What is it with this Barbie character ALWAYS showing up to save the day? It's becoming laughable. Is the town really that small that every time someone's in trouble, the "sexy mysterious outsider" is the only one capable of helping and somehow arrives right on time? I was joking with my friend last week that soon they'll have him delivering a damn baby and the very next episode has him pretty much simultaneously foiling a gasoline robbery AND delivering a baby!! What the what??

Then there's Angie. Can this young woman NOT constantly be running into either Big Jim or his son? Seems like every scene she's in, one of them walks in. I mean by now you'd think she'd have gone to someone, ANYONE and asked for help from these two lunatics. She's also awfully tolerant of Jim's presence considering his first instinct was to keep her imprisoned. With all the people running around in the street, you'd think she'd find a way to be visible so these two guys can't do anything to her, but somehow she keeps winding up alone with them.

As usual with network television, the acting is atrocious. Cable has no problem finding fantastic actors, but somehow network can't get anything but model-actors. No idea what's up with that. Big Jim is played by a good actor, but he's hamstrung by the terrible writing.

When a cute girl asks you if she can watch you put on your pants, you say YES!!!!

Windows 8 phones. Windows 8 tablets. Windows 8. Windows 8. Windows 8.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.