Reload this Page >

Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS

Old 07-09-13, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
The Junior storyline and all the teen angst is killing this show for me. Each week just gets worse and worse.
Same here. I think I'm done now.
Old 07-10-13, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts
Re: Stephen King's Under The Dome - Spielberg Produced - CBS

The third episode was a slight improvement on the awful second episode, but it is starting to look like just another lame summer show. I guess I was hoping for tighter plotting and less Jericho-like situations, the storyline with Junior should have been excised entirely from the show.

The show should have narrowed its audience focus from everyone possible to certain demos. There is way too much pandering here, spread out over all age groups and every possible identity group.

I will stick around, but I can see why CBS kept this as a summer show.
Old 07-10-13, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The underground tunnels was a great setting for a nice suspenseful sequence, but instead we got a couple people walking along with a match having light conversation.
It's even better. They were worried about having enough matches to be able to provide light for themselves to navigate out of the tunnels. With that hanging over their heads, they decided to use the last match to have an impromptu candlelight rap session about nothing. Luckily (of course), they were right where they needed to be and could see flickers of daylight pointing to the way out. You can always tell when you're watching something from creative talent that thinks being consistent and making sense don't matter in situations where it should.

And for goodness sake, if I'm down to my last few matches and will have no light, extraneous clothing is coming off to make a torch. It's not like it's the dead of winter there anyway as everyone walks around with their jackets open.

I'd much rather spend 1 minute each week reading the thread and watch it on DVD if it improves because so far it's a boring unenjoyable mess.
Old 07-10-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't mind the fact that not everyone is freaking out yet for living under the dome. In Monday's episode they made a point to say only a day and a half had passed in show time. So the characters have only lived with this for two waking days.

That said, a LOT of this show wears on me. It feels so much like LOST...with everyone having deadly hidden motives, lots of secrets and not enough communication. I don't want to sit through hours of this without enough payoff.

The Junior storyline is about enough to make me stop watching. I want the girl he's captured either out of the bunker or dead by next episode please.

All that said, this would be SO much better if they took a Jericho approach where we see how they have to cope without food, water, etc. I think they're planning this, but they're not moving fast enough with it. Jericho started that in episode one.
Old 07-10-13, 09:09 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

after a promising first episode, this series has since shit its pants on multiple occasions.
Old 07-10-13, 09:59 AM

+1 for the tired Junior storyline. Just finish it up already, and move on.

Why is it that every time we get a Stephen King television adaptation of one of his works someone tries to tinker with it, to make it more watchable? This could have been some spellbinding TV, but instead its just a hot mess of a show, with no clear plot line going forward.

Think I might just reread the book again. Some of my favourites from the book are not written into the show (yet?).
Old 07-10-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Yeah this at least gave me the desire to read the book so I'll check that out at some point.
Old 07-10-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by tellybox
Why is it that every time we get a Stephen King television adaptation of one of his works someone tries to tinker with it, to make it more watchable? This could have been some spellbinding TV, but instead its just a hot mess of a show, with no clear plot line going forward.

Think I might just reread the book again. Some of my favourites from the book are not written into the show (yet?).
I don't think King's densely plotted books with dozens of characters translate that well to movies and television, at least if you want to make commercial entertainment. The better adaptations have always been from his books with a tighter focus and a handful of primary characters. Sprawl works on the written page much better.

King also works in a lot of characters and elements in his works that aren't acceptable to the mainstream. It wasn't a shock when they left out the kids having sex plot in the It mini-series.
Old 07-10-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't think King's densely plotted books with dozens of characters translate that well to movies and television, at least if you want to make commercial entertainment. The better adaptations have always been from his books with a tighter focus and a handful of primary characters. Sprawl works on the written page much better.
I presume then that you're unfamiliar with The Langoliers? Very few characters, tight focus, total shite.
Old 07-11-13, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by TGM
after a promising first episode, this series has since shit its pants on multiple occasions.
Yeah, I'll give it one more episode and then I'm out! By the way, those of you that have liked this series so far, Amazon is taking pre orders for this... http://www.amazon.com/Under-Limited-...under+the+dome
Old 07-11-13, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

King also works in a lot of characters and elements in his works that aren't acceptable to the mainstream. It wasn't a shock when they left out the kids having sex plot in the It mini-series.
Trust me, if they were being more loyal to the structure of the book, this series would be A LOT better. Problem is though, if they're loyal to the book, the show will only run 13 episodes, and CBS wants an ongoing series out of this.
Old 07-11-13, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Trust me, if they were being more loyal to the structure of the book, this series would be A LOT better. Problem is though, if they're loyal to the book, the show will only run 13 episodes, and CBS wants an ongoing series out of this.
What stops them from following the book this season and then branching out the next season? Different city and different people. I thought that would be the only way to keep it going.
Old 07-12-13, 08:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Watching the last match burn out while she had the perfectly flammable matchbox in her other hand (not to mention clothes and whatever else they had) was so stupid I'm out based on just that. Maybe I'll read the book someday once I can do so without any associations to the badly written/acted characters on this show.
Old 07-12-13, 09:25 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I agree the third episode was marginally better than the second. I liked the shout out to The Simpsons movie (which I don't think was in the book), but that's about it.
Old 07-12-13, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
What stops them from following the book this season and then branching out the next season? Different city and different people. I thought that would be the only way to keep it going.
That would seriously be it. This concept for one town does not lend itself to several seasons.
Old 07-12-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

If you don't care for Junior
Spoiler:
you're going to be disappointed because that guy is prominent until the very end... but he's not a whiny Andy Samberg clone like the TV show, he's a total redneck dumbass and a lot more developed in the book.
Old 07-12-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
Watching the last match burn out while she had the perfectly flammable matchbox in her other hand (not to mention clothes and whatever else they had) was so stupid I'm out based on just that. Maybe I'll read the book someday once I can do so without any associations to the badly written/acted characters on this show.
No, REALLY stupid is saying "this is the last match," lighting it, then standing there talking while it burns out, instead of walking towards the exit.
Old 07-12-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude
No, REALLY stupid is saying "this is the last match," lighting it, then standing there talking while it burns out, instead of walking towards the exit.
I think it is very clever foreshadowing, to show everyone has already lost their damn minds.

we don't know when gas will ever be available again? i know, i will drive to follow junior and then drive back, even though my entire world isn't bigger than the length of this town and i can walk. who wants to take a road trip to the other side of the dome?
Old 07-15-13, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by tellybox
+1 for the tired Junior storyline. Just finish it up already, and move on.

he's the type of character you know that in a King 'movie' he'd meet a great gory demise.

granted it's not King, but Spielberg had it right sense to produce a mini-series formatted show: Taken for the Sci-Fi Channel in 2002 - with a definite ending and set number of episodes (ten).

Last edited by Giles; 07-15-13 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-15-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I enjoyed tonight's episode more than last week's episode about teens searching for a way to charge their electronic devices, but that's not saying much since this show disappoints on many levels. Maybe the chained up girl will now get out of the bunker and that storyline can move on.
Old 07-16-13, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Ditto. Thought this was a much better episode than the last 2 weeks. Even though it was meningitis, at least now the dome presented some kind of widespread threat to the town.

Also, Barbie kinda told the truth to Julia. At least she was finally smart enough to put 2 and 2 together after finding the map.

Are we finally moving away from Junior and Angie? Hmmm, wonder what Big Jim does? I would be really annoyed if he continues to keep Angie hostage to protect his kid.
Old 07-16-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was ready to see Angie drown to end the damned storyline, but I guess not.
Old 07-16-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I think I'm done with this now. It's not as adult or edgy as I would have preferred. I watched the first two eps. and now it's a chore.

I don't like feeling like watching and/or committing to a show is a 'chore'. Life's too short.
Old 07-16-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

Hollywood always thinking their smarter than the source material

Spoiler:
In the book, Junior kills Angie about 10 pages in and bangs her dead corpse... the end (of that storyline)
Old 07-16-13, 01:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Ditto. Thought this was a much better episode than the last 2 weeks. Even though it was meningitis, at least now the dome presented some kind of widespread threat to the town.
Yeah, this episode wasn't phenomenal, but had its share of creepy moody moments that I enjoyed. The dialog really needs some work, though. Samantha Mathis' character (one of the moms of the teenage girl) had a really stupid moment where she specifically didn't finish a sentence for 'dramatic effect' but it made me want to scream.

Also, Barbie kinda told the truth to Julia. At least she was finally smart enough to put 2 and 2 together after finding the map.
I figured when she mentioned that Junior told her about their fight, Barbie would clarify that Junior was the crazy one. She still believes that Barbie started it, doesn't she?

Are we finally moving away from Junior and Angie? Hmmm, wonder what Big Jim does? I would be really annoyed if he continues to keep Angie hostage to protect his kid.
I think Big Jim will leave her there or kill her himself. No way he lets her free, though. That would make HIM look bad because he'd have to explain that his son is a crazy person, and Big Jim has way too much pride for that.

Originally Posted by Rob V
Hollywood always thinking their smarter than the source material

Spoiler:
In the book, Junior kills Angie about 10 pages in and bangs her dead corpse... the end (of that storyline)
I told my wife that that storyline was WAY more fucked up in the book... but I wouldn't explain it to her. I told her she had to read it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.