TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Stephen King's Under The Dome - Spielberg Produced - CBS

Originally Posted by RoboDad
That's not what American viewers want. If 13 episodes are good, the 130 must be better.

Personally, I would LOVE to see a "fresh, new" approach (i.e., the way many shows in the UK have worked for decades) in Hollywood, where some series are created with a specific number of planned episodes, then complete the total story in that run, and then end. Then, add to that other "continuing" series that have very limited episodes per season (6-12, for example), allowing for greater variety in overall programming.

People don't need or expect a new Star Wars or Iron Man movie every week at the movie theater. Why should television be that different?
I would like to see that done more often here. getting really tired of shows getting cancelled on cliffhangers and some of those shows were even padded to make the season longer.

I have several shows I am perfectly fine with having twenty two episodes seasons while a show like Under The Dome really feels like it could end after the thirteen episodes are up. So they will just end up dragging it out and then ending it without a proper ending as that is what half the shows end up doing these days.

Of shows that have run this year, Zero Hour was fine with just the thirteen episodes, told that story and done. I just like the idea of expanding a story or books idea to a longer format, just not TOO long.
Old 06-25-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Great pilot, aside from the crazy boyfriend plotline. CBS has a hit on their hands if the series can maintain an appreciable level of quality. If it keeps getting mega-ratings, expect Under The Dome to be renewed.

Were there any entirely new characters, made solely for the show?
Old 06-25-13, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I should have know that since this is on CBS, Junior wouldn't
Spoiler:
kill the girl (he actually kills TWO girls in the book) and have sex with their corpses. My guess is he won't kill anyone

Don't like the changes to Barbie...the new twist about the husband of the reporter (who was single in the book) seems lame.

They changed the Christian radio station to a rock station for no apparent reason.

I don't remember Alisha Hinds character (or her two kids) from the novel at all...am I just forgetting them?

I DID like Dean Norris...good casting there. I liked that when we first saw him he was reading a Churchill book.

Still not sure about this series...it doesn't look like it's going to have either the body count or the dark sense of humor the novel did.

Agree totally about what they did with Junior's character.

Spoiler:
I think the Alisha Hinds character and the kids are replacements for the old college professor and his young student lover and the dome orphans they cared for. Awful change to make.

So many changes were made that are not helpful to the story when compared to the book.. particularly Barbie's character. Also, the change in the radio station's format (which played a big part in the book) was irritating.

I just read the book about 3 weeks ago (in less than a week!) so I guess the changes bother me more. Will be watching anyway and hoping for things to improve.
Old 06-25-13, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Watched it. And read the wiki plotline (meh', I wasn't too excited about this show). It was alright. Like the effects. Like the mystery.

If they don't finish the events of the book in this season, that will suck. If they feel the need to drag it on, take it to a new town next year.
Old 06-26-13, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dex14
Wait...you mean Brit Robertson isn't gonna make it!?!?!
No, that should be "a series with Brit Robertson as a cast member".

But the ratings are telling us otherwise so far.
Old 06-26-13, 05:28 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
No, that should be "a series with Brit Robertson as a cast member".

But the ratings are telling us otherwise so far.
I miss Swingtown...
Old 06-26-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed it but thought the psycho boyfriend subplot was lame. I hope that wraps up soon. The cow being sliced in two was sweet. Never read the book so unaware of differences, but definitely had a Stephen King vibe, especially one of the first shots of a bird (reminded me of the crow from The Stand).
Old 06-26-13, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can someone who read the book tell us is a spoiler tags what is with the propane... I really am curious but don't want to wait for a 8 week reveal about that one curiousity/? --- unless this would ruin the whole show

I did like how the sheriff was shot through the dome! Magic
Old 06-26-13, 10:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CitizenY
That's not what happened...
Old 06-26-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by CitizenY
can someone who read the book tell us is a spoiler tags what is with the propane... I really am curious but don't want to wait for a 8 week reveal about that one curiousity/? --- unless this would ruin the whole show
Spoiler:
There's a meth-making operation in town

He wasn't shot.
Spoiler:
His pacemaker burst.
Old 06-26-13, 11:18 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Spoiler:
And...

Spoiler:
Agent Schrader has been leading a double life all along.... He is the real GREAT HEISENBERG!
Old 06-26-13, 01:09 PM

Thanks Draven.

I figured that someone outside the dome was reading his lips through their binoculars and then changed the frequency of the dome to allow a bullet to pass through from the outside before he spilled the secret! THis of course lead you to believe that the shodow government is in control via FEMA and Sculder and Mully (hehe) are coming with the smoking man!
Old 06-26-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Spoiler:

He wasn't shot.
Spoiler:
His pacemaker burst.
I don't remember from the book but I didn't recall
Spoiler:
the sheriff being aware of the meth lab
... was he?

Also, in the book the animal split in half was a gopher...
Old 06-26-13, 03:38 PM

BTW.. I have a implanted defibrilator/pacer.. I was hoping it was a gunshot and his ICD did not blow...

First they highjacked the VP's ICD in homeland and now this!
Old 06-26-13, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by BJacks
The cow being sliced in two was sweet. Never read the book so unaware of differences
Believe it or not, it was a squirrel in the book and not a cow. The squirrel actors' union is pissed.
Old 06-27-13, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Amazon already has the pre-order up for both a Blu-ray set and a limited edition Blu-ray package with an actual dome.
Old 06-27-13, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ Thanks! I pre-ordered for that dome alone.
Old 06-28-13, 11:03 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Stephen King responds to some criticism of the TV show:
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/utd_on_tv/letter.html

Just an excerpt:
Near the end of his life, and long after his greatest novels were written, James M. Cain agreed to be interviewed by a student reporter who covered culture and the arts for his college newspaper. This young man began his time with Cain by bemoaning how Hollywood had changed books such as The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity. Before he could properly get into his rant, the old man interrupted him by pointing to a shelf of books behind his desk. “The movies didn’t change them a bit, son,” he said. “They’re all right up there. Every word is the same as when I wrote them.”

I feel the same way about Under the Dome.
Old 06-28-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very intrigued by this:

"Other story modifications are slotting into place because the writers have completely re-imagined the source of the Dome."

I didn't hate how it played out in the book, but I'm completely open to see a very different ending.
Old 06-28-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
I would like to see that done more often here. getting really tired of shows getting cancelled on cliffhangers and some of those shows were even padded to make the season longer.

I have several shows I am perfectly fine with having twenty two episodes seasons while a show like Under The Dome really feels like it could end after the thirteen episodes are up. So they will just end up dragging it out and then ending it without a proper ending as that is what half the shows end up doing these days.

Of shows that have run this year, Zero Hour was fine with just the thirteen episodes, told that story and done. I just like the idea of expanding a story or books idea to a longer format, just not TOO long.
It's starting to get more popular. They've changed the name from "Mini-series" which is used to be to "Limited Series", there are other shows that plan to follow American Horror Story's setup as well (1 season = 1 story -- the next season has a new cast, new setting, new storyline, etc; just a similar, general basic theme)

Rod Serling's final screenplay (The Stops Along the Way) is being adapated by JJ Abrams company into an "Event Limited Series"
24 is coming back for a season, also as a limited event series
Fargo on FX (produced by the Coen Bros) is a 10-episode limited series
The Once Upon a Time spin-off (Once Upon a Time in Wonderland) is also limited

A big thing with this is the way we all watch TV now. Shows with endings will get watched more and sell for more once they're off the air. Limited Series basically means 10 hour movie to most of us, gives it a very extended shelf life.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-28-13 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-28-13, 11:37 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Stephen King responds to some criticism of the TV show:
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/utd_on_tv/letter.html

Just an excerpt:
I think that's a fair point. My only response would be that SK is an Executive Producer on the show. Assuming he had some creative input (in addition to writing the source material it's based on).
Old 06-28-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

It ultimately all comes down to Neal Baer, who is the showrunner / "lead" executive producer.

King's title is more of a courtesy and a consultant if they want his advice.
Old 06-28-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
I didn't hate how it played out in the book, but I'm completely open to see a very different ending.
I guess my question is this: Is there *any* ending, or at least any dome explanation, that could come across significantly *better* than the one in the book? Seems to me King wrote the story on a foundation of sand that can't be repaired.
Old 06-28-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

This EW article that quotes that letter made a good point about the changes to something like The Walking Dead that I haven't heard nearly as much flack on. Maybe it's because TWD is ongoing. Similarly, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and Dexter seem to exist without people getting too uppity about the differences between the books and the TV series. I'm willing to give this interpretation a chance.
Old 06-28-13, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting concept, though certainly brings to mind The Simpsons Movie, as another poster noted.

Spoiler:
Aren't we just presuming that Barbie killed the reporter's husband? He's burying the body, but that's all we've seen so far. Who killed him and why Barbie is burying him are mysteries.

One technical glitch: The dome has cut the town off from the outside world, which would include the forces of nature. Yet in the scene where Angie is talking with Barbie about half way through, a tree in the background is blowing in the wind. Not something the production can easily control, obviously. Just something I noticed.

--THX

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.