TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Stephen King's Under The Dome - Spielberg Produced - CBS

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX

One technical glitch: The dome has cut the town off from the outside world, which would include the forces of nature. Yet in the scene where Angie is talking with Barbie about half way through, a tree in the background is blowing in the wind. Not something the production can easily control, obviously. Just something I noticed.

--THX
My wife noticed that as well. I kinda think they might be doing that on purpose though. In the book,
Spoiler:
there is no airflow in the dome, and the air gets toxic in town within a few days.
If they want the show to last a while,
Spoiler:
the dome needs to be more permeable to air, especially with all the generators running in town.
Old 06-29-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2

A big thing with this is the way we all watch TV now. Shows with endings will get watched more and sell for more once they're off the air. Limited Series basically means 10 hour movie to most of us, gives it a very extended shelf life.
This could help with my buying habits, since I like the idea of expanded stories that basically come out to be a ten hour film it is easier to own such series than several of a much longer running run aside from extreme favorites.

Planed ending can mean less filler if it is that type of story and not making stuff up as they go along that makes no sense to past seasons.
Old 06-29-13, 11:24 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the coolest part of the episode was seeing the people, animals, and vehicles getting sliced, diced, and crushed by the dome. now that it's already there and people know about it, I doubt much of that is going to continue to happen, and my interest may very well wane.
Old 06-29-13, 11:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
This EW article that quotes that letter made a good point about the changes to something like The Walking Dead that I haven't heard nearly as much flack on. Maybe it's because TWD is ongoing. Similarly, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and Dexter seem to exist without people getting too uppity about the differences between the books and the TV series. I'm willing to give this interpretation a chance.
I think the difference between all of those properties and Under the Dome is that more people have read Under the Dome.
Old 06-29-13, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

This EW article that quotes that letter made a good point about the changes to something like The Walking Dead that I haven't heard nearly as much flack on. Maybe it's because TWD is ongoing. Similarly, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood and Dexter seem to exist without people getting too uppity about the differences between the books and the TV series. I'm willing to give this interpretation a chance.
None of that source material was really popular before the television shows appeared. The Walking Dead was an independent comic book from an unheralded writer, even in his own field. Under The Dome was a number one bestseller from the world's most famous horror writer.
Old 06-29-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
the coolest part of the episode was seeing the people, animals, and vehicles getting sliced, diced, and crushed by the dome. now that it's already there and people know about it, I doubt much of that is going to continue to happen, and my interest may very well wane.
I thought it was definitely an interesting concept for a story. But yeah, now that the dome is there and everyone knows and the "surprise" is gone I am pretty sure most of what will be left is the cloying melodrama and ham-handed dialog and overacting so typical of a network TV drama. Lord knows there was already plenty in the pilot. If going forward the show focuses primarily on psycho boyfriends, mysterious uses for propane, and suspenseful romantic entanglements I will be very quickly done with this show.
Old 06-29-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Could be the ongoing nature of it. As for Walking Dead I like that I don't know what will happen yet some of the concepts are the same. Now if it was a book or limited comic series I would likely prefer a direct translation of the source.

I heard Vampire Diaries is not remotely like the book and even the characters are hardly the same.
Old 07-01-13, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Episode 2 is tonight

"The Fire" - While the residents of Chester's Mill face the uncertainty of life in the dome, panic is heightened when a house goes up in flames and their fire department is outside of the dome, on UNDER THE DOME, Monday, July 1 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.
Old 07-01-13, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i eagerly await Lux/that chick from secret circle yelling "let me out of here" at random intervals during the show. she will contribute nothing else. eventually barbie will get her pregnant.
Old 07-02-13, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

WHY NOT GO, WELL, UNDER THE DOME? | Any chance these people can just dig their way out of the dome? “We promise you that is answered in Episode 2,” Baer assured.
If they did, I missed it.
Old 07-02-13, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts

This just isn't grabbing me.

Looks and feels like a Lifetime movie. It has that certain... "network tv" quality that just doesn't seem to work well with high concepts like this. Might have worked better on cable and with an ensemble of better actors. Like "Revolution," it wants to be ambitious and edgy, but just can't quite pull it off with what its given.
Old 07-02-13, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
If they did, I missed it.
They had people digging holes when the two teenagers passed by. Hank told the guy in the bull dozer not to go near the dome since anything with a battery will blow up. So I guess they can dig manually but not with anything mechanical.

I dislike the red headed reporter. She tries to be plucky but comes off as condescending and bitchy. She asked the engineering woman at the radio station how they got the signal but then rolls her eyes basically when she didn't understand the answer. She then grabs the mic and proceeds to take over and gives half information over the air which could have led to panic. I hated her on What About Brian ( she was easily one of the worst things about that show) and she is terrible here.
Old 07-02-13, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk God

How is Jeff Fahey still credited as a series regular? After this episode, he's done with the show unless they want to keep showing his corpse.

Thought episode 2 was alright. The Pilot set everything up, this was really showing how the town was unraveling. The flashback to how Barbie killed Julia's husband was interesting. Not surprised that he freaked out about his dog tags.

I thought Junior and Angie's storyline was kind of annoying.

So Big Jim and the Reverend are trying to cover up some dark secret about Duke.

With that cop mortally wounded and the other one gone bonkers, looks like Linda is the only sane law enforcement official left.
Old 07-02-13, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall I liked episode 2 as well. Definitely not flawless, some of the characters and actors are a little too hokey, but the premise is good. In fact it's reminding me of Jericho with a great premise but too much weak writing and acting. A show like this needs to be grittier but they're tied to the ways of network television.

I'll be sticking around for awhile though.
Old 07-02-13, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

So Big Jim and the Reverend are trying to cover up some dark secret about Duke.

With that cop mortally wounded and the other one gone bonkers, looks like Linda is the only sane law enforcement official left.
No secret about Duke, just making sure there's no evidence laying around about what all three of them are involved in.

As for the dwindling number of cops
Spoiler:
In the book, Big Jim uses the dwindling number of city officials to take control of town. He's head councilman. In first episode he mentioned adding more emergency cops. In the book he makes his psycho son and his bully friends cops and they bully the town.
Old 07-02-13, 07:21 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
This just isn't grabbing me.

Looks and feels like a Lifetime movie. It has that certain... "network tv" quality that just doesn't seem to work well with high concepts like this. Might have worked better on cable and with an ensemble of better actors. Like "Revolution," it wants to be ambitious and edgy, but just can't quite pull it off with what its given.
I agree... It really isn't doing anything for me which surprises me with all the creative talent behind it.

Most of the acting and dialogue is awful. There are only a few characters I can stand.

I hope this doesnt turn into another "The Following" for me.
Old 07-02-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

If this show/story is going to be more about the people in the town than the phenomena behind the dome, then I am out. Mostly because don't have two fucks to give about any of these people.
Old 07-02-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Debating if I should check this out since I hated the book. I'm hard pressed to think of a book I finished and hated more than under the dome. Didn't care for the characters, the story, or the ending. Big Jim might have been feeling it but I sure wasn't.
Old 07-02-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

11.5M viewers and 2.8 last night. Still great ratings for summer.
Old 07-02-13, 11:23 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

The entire fire scene was terrible.
It was infuriating to see them throwing water at the exterior walls of the house, where there was no fire. They seemed to be throwing it everywhere except where there were flames. Water should be thrown at the base of the flames, no? It was pretty obvious that the actors were just told to wing it, because they were going to add CGI fire later.

All in all, I was wholly unimpressed with this episode. I really hope they turn it around, but my excitement is dwindling. It's just not as compelling as it should be because the production is too glossy. It should have been a cable show with a much darker atmosphere. Although since we're only a couple days in, the darker stuff still does have time to surface.
Old 07-02-13, 11:27 AM

They should have played "Yakety Sax" while the preacher was stumbling around starting that fire. Also, this episode shows that it's a bad idea to soak your curtains in gasoline before hanging them.
Old 07-02-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
They should have played "Yakety Sax" while the preacher was stumbling around starting that fire. Also, this episode shows that it's a bad idea to soak your curtains in gasoline before hanging them.
In the book its mentioned how Duke was famous for building a house out of solidified gasoline
Old 07-02-13, 12:02 PM

Another fire safety tip: if you do accidentally set a fire, do not leave the room. Instead, lay on the floor and yell for help.
Old 07-02-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Episode 2 strayed even further from the book. I'm watching it, but feel like throwing things at the tv.

This could be like Revolution, where you watch it for how inept it is.
Old 07-02-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Junior reminds me too much of Andy Samberg to take him as a threat.

I'm enjoying this so far.. never read the book.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.