Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stephen King's Under The Dome - Season 1 Discussion - CBS

Old 06-24-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Stephen King's Under The Dome - Spielberg Produced - CBS

I'm surprised that this show appears to already be on Amazon Prime streaming. First episode isn't there yet, but it looks like it will be on June 28.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-The-Dome.../dp/B00DAHSWDC

Premiering on Prime Instant Video on June 28th. Get ready for Under The Dome. A 13 episode mini-series based on the novel by Stephen King. Coming to CBS on Monday, June 24th at 10/9c.
Old 06-24-13, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A psycho ex-boyfriend plot already? This is season 3 subplot material, not something a Pilot episode should be wasting time with. Leaves me a bit worried for the rest of the show, but other than that I liked it quite a bit. Not enough stuff about the actual dome though.
Old 06-24-13, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So if I'm understanding correctly, you have to *not care* about the show's central hook and mystery (what the dome is, why it's there, etc) to have any hope of enjoying it? And the actual answer is basically an irrelevant afterthought that they may or may not even get around to? Yeah, pass.
Old 06-24-13, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some odd changes from the book but overall I liked it. Willing to see where it goes.
Old 06-24-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Enjoyed this tonight. The psycho ex-boyfriend is a little weird, but the show was a bit dark overall--certainly going for the Stephen King creepiness feel. I'll check it out again. Kind of a cross between LOST (mystery) and Jericho (cut off from the world).
Old 06-24-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by adamblast View Post
So if I'm understanding correctly, you have to *not care* about the show's central hook and mystery (what the dome is, why it's there, etc) to have any hope of enjoying it? And the actual answer is basically an irrelevant afterthought that they may or may not even get around to? Yeah, pass.
It's a story about society crumbling when cut off from the world. The dome is just a means to tell that story.
Old 06-24-13, 11:56 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
It's a story about society crumbling when cut off from the world. The dome is just a means to tell that story.
I didn't hate the explanation of the dome in the book, but I'm hoping they don't drop too many hints about in the show if they're seriously going to keep this going for multiple seasons.
I enjoyed the first episode for what it was. The gore was better than I expected, and I liked the introduction to some of the characters. The crazy boyfriend is in the "Corin Nemek" class of over-acting, though. Too bad, because I remember enjoying his story arc in the book.
Old 06-25-13, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Junior gave me the heebie jeebies. I'd love to see network tv be more like the British model, 6, 12 eps runs, preferably with writers like Vaughan.
Old 06-25-13, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
A psycho ex-boyfriend plot already? This is season 3 subplot material, not something a Pilot episode should be wasting time with
it's coming off as sort of strange due to how they are already up and changing characters from the book.. They have to accelerate certain characters being they can't waste say 10min on Jr and the main lead having a fight outside a bar etc.. Better to just be "Arrrg!! You were with my girl!" and move on.

so far it's pretty good.. I really hope they just run it 13 eps and being as someone who read the book I really don't see it as a muti-season sort of story. Unless they just start to do "Day in the life" sort of stuff and ignore the entire dome issue for 1/2 the eps.
Old 06-25-13, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I'm surprised that this show appears to already be on Amazon Prime streaming. First episode isn't there yet, but it looks like it will be on June 28.

http://www.amazon.com/Under-The-Dome.../dp/B00DAHSWDC
Amazon paid $750K per episode to have them available 4 days after they air. Could be a new model for financing tv shows.

I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. The boyfriend was a little over the top but I like how it tied in. Looking forward to next week.
Old 06-25-13, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matt925 View Post
Amazon paid $750K per episode to have them available 4 days after they air. Could be a new model for financing tv shows.
Interesting. Yeah, since they can't rely on physical media revenue to the same extent as they could in the past, they capitalize on the arms race in the streaming space to the tune of 10 million bucks.

Last edited by davidh777; 06-25-13 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-25-13, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pretty good start. I wasn't initially crazy about the psycho boyfriend subplot. It seemed so out of place. But after thinking about it, this show isn't just about some mysterious dome that covers it. I think it's about this town and it's dark secrets that tear it apart.

For a TV budget, I was pretty impressed with some of the special effects. The cow getting split in half, the truck getting smashed and then the plane crash.

I liked the little twists at the end with Junior being the councilman's son and "Barbie" being Julia's husbands killer.

And man, Britt Robertson is a toothpick.

The good thing about this show being on CBS is that it will never look cheap. They spend money on their shows and they always look good in HD.
Old 06-25-13, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DeadLamb View Post
so far it's pretty good.. I really hope they just run it 13 eps and being as someone who read the book I really don't see it as a muti-season sort of story. Unless they just start to do "Day in the life" sort of stuff and ignore the entire dome issue for 1/2 the eps.
I read something recently - could've been King's piece about the show in EW - that said that the show is going to cover a much longer time frame than the book. (Which was what, a week?)

Last night wasn't bad. The effects were pretty good. And we're still seeing just setting up the story. At least last night in my pre-show Facebook bitching I convinced a friend to give the book a try.
Old 06-25-13, 07:14 AM

Now, here’s what you can expect from life under the dome moving forward, courtesy of executive producers Neal Baer and Brian K. Vaughan.

NOTHING ‘MINI’ ABOUT IT | “This is not a miniseries,” Baer clarified, referencing early reports. “It’s a 13-episode series.” Continued Vaughan, “Stephen King’s book takes place over a relatively short period of time. But when we first started talking about [to him], he said, ‘When I came up with this idea, I envisioned a town being trapped for years at a time. That’s something that you guys could get to do that I didn’t, and that might necessitate a different ending.” That means fans of the novel can look forward to a completely different conclusion to the saga. “We pitched Stephen a far-out, big-swing [ending] for if we’re lucky enough for this to go several years, and he was so excited about it,” revealed Vaughan.

SEEING IS NOT BELIEVING | Things are not quite what they seem under the dome. “The characters are complicated,” Baer noted. “The people you think are bad may not be so bad, and the ones you think are good may not be so good. Don’t believe everything you see in the beginning.”

ONE MOMENT IN TIME | Baer shared that each episode — of Season 1, at least — will amount to one day. “That seems to have worked for us in this first [batch of] episodes.”

OUTSIDE THE DOME | Life on the outside will be explored “very, very rarely,” Vaughan teased. “I really like the feeling that we are trapped in here with these characters. Our POV, for the most part, will remain inside Chester’s Mill.” The EP added, “We didn’t want to do lots of flashbacks to the characters’ past, and we won’t be cutting to [other times] just to shake things up a bit. We wanted to challenge ourselves by setting up in this one location.”

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER | Might some of the Chester’s Mill townsfolk actually be in on the mystery that is the dome? “That’s a strange thought,” Vaughan laughed. “So, that’s our answer.”

BURNING QUESTIONS ANSWERED | Why is the dome causing such a physical reaction in teenagers? Why did the doctor die? Each of these questions and more will be addressed sooner rather than later. “This first season, you’ll get lots of answers from things in the pilot,” promised Vaughan. “We’ve made a conscious decision that if we present a mystery, we will solve it for you before we start introducing new ones.”

WHY NOT GO, WELL, UNDER THE DOME? | Any chance these people can just dig their way out of the dome? “We promise you that is answered in Episode 2,” Baer assured.
Old 06-25-13, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[Quote]Also, the CBS version is definitely a series, not a mini-series, with a finale episode that will leave the story open for more seasons.[\quote]

Translation - We may just end it on a cliffhanger.

They do know that some stories can end. I love the idea of more than a movie yet shorter than a season or seasons. Not sure if the concept can be dragged out for too long. Curious to see where it goes.
Old 06-25-13, 07:16 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I did not like some of the changes they made from the book. *BIG SPOILERS FROM THE BOOK BELOW*

Spoiler:
I didn't like how they made Dale Barbara a killer at the outset, on some kind of mission related to the meth dealing in town. He was such a good protagonist in the book because he was an ex-military drifter trying to keep his head down, and he is reluctantly pulled back into service during the dome crisis. Also, Julia Shumway is some young married hottie new to the newspaper and her husband just happens to be the guy Barbie killed?

Also, Phil "the Chef" Bushey is a hipster running an independent rock station?

I'm not saying I won't enjoy this; I just have to shift my expectations and take it for what it is.
Old 06-25-13, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
I did not like some of the changes they made from the book. *BIG SPOILERS FROM THE BOOK BELOW*

Spoiler:
I didn't like how they made Dale Barbara a killer at the outset, on some kind of mission related to the meth dealing in town. He was such a good protagonist in the book because he was an ex-military drifter trying to keep his head down, and he is reluctantly pulled back into service during the dome crisis. Also, Julia Shumway is some young married hottie new to the newspaper and her husband just happens to be the guy Barbie killed?

Also, Phil "the Chef" Bushey is a hipster running an independent rock station?

I'm not saying I won't enjoy this; I just have to shift my expectations and take it for what it is.

You hit the nail on the head... why in the world did they make these changes??? As with most of King's books (lately) it's about character development and enjoying the marathon... Under the Dome is one of my favorite books of all time because of how well developed and either likeable or hate-able the characters were. I'm not sure why CBS is treating Barbie this way -- hell, Big Jim seemed pretty likeable too. WTF is happening here??
Old 06-25-13, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by adamblast View Post
I see that you are not a Lost fan, aren't you?

Old 06-25-13, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't read the book, I know the basic idea, and that King ripped The Simpsons Movie

So, I thought the episode was ok. A lot of things going, mysteries, but yeah, I want to know why they are under the dome.

I'm not sure if I will be able to hold it and not read the end of the book, I mean they already said that they are not following that ending. But I have never read anyone liking the ending of the book, so I'm really curious.
Old 06-25-13, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If they end the mini-series with the ending from the book, I don't know if another King book will ever get made to the small screen. I highly recommend the book --- it's fantastic.

That said, should this be successful, I'd love to see 11/22/63 brought to TV next summer.
Old 06-25-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
That's not what American viewers want. If 13 episodes are good, the 130 must be better.

Personally, I would LOVE to see a "fresh, new" approach (i.e., the way many shows in the UK have worked for decades) in Hollywood, where some series are created with a specific number of planned episodes, then complete the total story in that run, and then end. Then, add to that other "continuing" series that have very limited episodes per season (6-12, for example), allowing for greater variety in overall programming.
There's no way that format would be successful on American television.

Old 06-25-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You do know that television is WILDLY different than it was when Roots came out, right?

I assume the reason that the BBC can do shorter series is because they enjoy public funding. Yet we expect private companies to hire actors and staff, scout locations, build sets, shoot and edit 13 episodes and then...stop? Even if it's wildly successful? Why would they do that? TV is a business, not an artistic endeavor.
Old 06-25-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://tvline.com/2013/06/25/ratings...edium=facebook

13.1M viewers and 3.2 in the demos. The most watched network summer show in 6 years.

Wow, great numbers.
Old 06-25-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
You do know that television is WILDLY different than it was when Roots came out, right?

I assume the reason that the BBC can do shorter series is because they enjoy public funding. Yet we expect private companies to hire actors and staff, scout locations, build sets, shoot and edit 13 episodes and then...stop? Even if it's wildly successful? Why would they do that? TV is a business, not an artistic endeavor.
How about American Horror Story? Completely change the setting every year, mostly keep the cast but it seems like the take a little less money, they bring in talented people like Angela Basset and James Cromwell, whereas with Friends and The Office you have to dump so much money into the cast it can't possibly be profitable after 6, 7 years.
Old 06-25-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

it was interesting. liked some of it, but not other parts. the emo boyfriend thing is obnoxious. dean norris seems to play the same type of character in everything he is in.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.